• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Two Questions (Brakes & Clutch)

88bmwjeff

SF Bay Area
I've got two questions:

The bike 1988 R100 RT.

#1 Am I being penny wise and pound foolish here. I plan on rebuilding the brake system (master cylinder, calipers, hoses, etc.). The brake pads have plenty of "meat" left on them, and I wasn't planning on replacing them. I was just going to put them back the place I took them out from. Would it be better/useful other than to have a bit more brake lining to replace the pads?

#2 I have the transmission out and swing arm off for other reasons. Luckily, the RMS and oil pump O-ring are not leaking. I'm having a "while I'm down there moment" The clutch was replaced about 16,100 miles ago, so I think the clutch should be good. But, I'm wondering if there's a way to check the friction plate without taking everything apart. I doubt at 16,100 miles, I went through the clutch. The problem is that I've got everything apart and I'm in waiting mode for my drive shaft to be rebuilt, so my mind is just wondering what else I should check while things are apart. Oh well, I should probably just take the GS out for ride and leave things be.

Thanks in advance.

Take the GS for a ride.

At 16k miles your clutch is just getting settled in, unless you’ve been drag racing every day or otherwise smoking the clutch. It’s entirely possible that the RMS was replaced when the clutch was done, and it sounds like you have a clean compartment- no oil leakage showing, so all should be good.

On the brakes, is your current master cylinder showing signs of leaking or not functioning correctly? If not, then the main consideration you might want to look at with brakes is replacing the OEM rubber lines with braided stainless lines from Spiegler. Pads sound fine as far as thickness, but check for glazing and deglaze if necessary.

Best,
DeVern

Should

With only 16K on it unless as has been written, you have been drag racing or riding the clutch, everything should be fine. Just make sure to use the proper lubricant on the transmission input shaft. St.

So, the consensus is to leave things be. Yes, RMS and oil pump O-ring were replaced at the same time as the clutch. Did them in 2004.

DeVern, hoses will be replaced with Speigler braided stainless hoses. The master cylinder is leaking a bit, so it will be rebuilt.

How old are the pads? They do age out and it's worth replacing them despite the mileage on them.

I agree on leaving the MC and calipers be and upgrading to a brake line. That said, it's water getting into the system that damages calipers and MC's. If the fluid has been changed regularly, you're likely good. If not...

And if you do rebuild the calipers: 1) take them apart before getting the rebuild kit to assess the condition of the pistons -- when I rebuilt the calipers on the R90S my pistons looked brand new after 30 yrs and 30K; 2) get some red rubber grease to reinstall the pistons

DeVern, hoses will be replaced with Speigler braided stainless hoses. The master cylinder is leaking a bit, so it will be rebuilt.

I have the two stainless brake hoses for this model (upper and lower). New, a month old. Let me know if you'd like them at a discount to new.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the two stainless brake hoses for this model (upper and lower). New, a month old. Let me know if you'd like them at a discount to new.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the offer, but I've got the parts already, and just need to dive into it.

Back