• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Turtle 2 Helite

rick601

This is in response to some turtle conversation on a thread in wetheads about protective gear and someones accident- but that's been pretty much hijacked by helite talk so I moved this here.

Well- against the conventional wisdom, I got an XL. (5'8 or9" 180lbs JUST barely XL by their chart and L by height) Revzilla, when I called to discuss sizing, recommended XL but was willing to pay shipping if i needed to return for an L. First try was over the Aerostich Roadcrafter (after I removed the jacket's back protection)- fit perfectly. Next over my Foxcreek leather jacket very good fit Next over my Rokker Denim (polimid) jacket...soso- there is very little "smaller" adjustment in the Helite- lots of "bigger" but I did manage to get it down about an inch. I'm keeping the XL. I found NO good description of how it SHOULD fit- someone here (brownell?) mentioned a rep telling him to leave a fist-width of room inside- that I got. Well made- except the XL uses a co2 that doesn't fit in the pretty useless so called "pocket". The fit that mattered to me was the roadcrafter mainly- and that feels right.

This is in response to some turtle conversation on a thread in wetheads about protective gear and someones accident- but that's been pretty much hijacked by helite talk so I moved this here.

Well- against the conventional wisdom, I got an XL. (5'8 or9" 180lbs JUST barely XL by their chart and L by height) Revzilla, when I called to discuss sizing, recommended XL but was willing to pay shipping if i needed to return for an L. First try was over the Aerostich Roadcrafter (after I removed the jacket's back protection)- fit perfectly. Next over my Foxcreek leather jacket very good fit Next over my Rokker Denim (polimid) jacket...soso- there is very little "smaller" adjustment in the Helite- lots of "bigger" but I did manage to get it down about an inch. I'm keeping the XL. I found NO good description of how it SHOULD fit- someone here (brownell?) mentioned a rep telling him to leave a fist-width of room inside- that I got. Well made- except the XL uses a co2 that doesn't fit in the pretty useless so called "pocket". The fit that mattered to me was the roadcrafter mainly- and that feels right.

I'm the member who posted about the room recommended by the Helite rep. He told me it should be loose enough to place a fist between the vest and chest. I adjusted my large to do just that. What they don't want is the vest to be worn too tight as when it inflates it needs that room so the rider is strangled so tight it restricts the lungs from being able to breathe.

Not sure which pocket you're speaking to.

Turtle Vest

I purchased the turtle XLL which is usually called XXL by most me 6’1” 235 lb fits me perfectly over jacket or roadcrafter if your co2 canister won’t fit in pocket you probably have the one for the XL jacket mine takes a 100cc canister the smaller jacket uses a 50cc or 60cc canister

Edit vest came from store in Northern Ireland wrong numbers on website or given in communications with store.
Manual that came with vest lists three sizes 50cc, 60cc, and 100cc

Last edited:
I purchased the turtle XLL which is usually called XXL by most me 6’1” 235 lb fits me perfectly over jacket or roadcrafter if your co2 canister won’t fit in pocket you probably have the one for the XLL jacket my jack takes a 120 gram canister the smaller jacket uses a 90 gram canister

Translate that to cc for us. My Helite takes a 60cc CO2 cartridge

I purchased the turtle XLL which is usually called XXL by most me 6’1” 235 lb fits me perfectly over jacket or roadcrafter if your co2 canister won’t fit in pocket you probably have the one for the XLL jacket my jack takes a 120 gram canister the smaller jacket uses a 90 gram canister

My XL turtle 2 takes a 60cc canister (thats 182g)

Vest

Point they have 3 sizes of co2 canister, if canister won’t fit in pocket possibly wrong size for jacket
Label on canister
NTGF 457
TW 297
CO2
FC00B96F-3C7D-4378-AA6A-9CB840BBE5BE.jpeg876EE089-5E3E-4C44-B53C-69B965FDA8DA.jpeg

2BC81FC7-E69C-4752-8564-2D73DDD157C3.jpeg

Last edited:
OK just to stay honest: The 60cc canister JUST BARELY slides into the little zipper pouch. I had the allen key in first and it kept the cart from dropping all the way in. And yes, allen key and extra CO2 fit. OK back to your regularly scheduled program.

OK just to stay honest: The 60cc canister JUST BARELY slides into the little zipper pouch. I had the allen key in first and it kept the cart from dropping all the way in. And yes, allen key and extra CO2 fit. OK back to your regularly scheduled program.

You keep a spare 60cc cartridge "in" the pocket the cartridge sits in? I'd not have thought to consider that for two reasons

1. space available is made for 1 cartridge, not 2
2. bulkier

I keep my spare under the seat in the tool kit with the wrench.

You keep a spare 60cc cartridge "in" the pocket the cartridge sits in? I'd not have thought to consider that for two reasons

1. space available is made for 1 cartridge, not 2
2. bulkier

I keep my spare under the seat in the tool kit with the wrench.

There is a small zippered "pocket" under a flap on the opposite side of the vest from the "active" cartridge. To tell the truth I haven't decided where I'll put the spare- probably not there- I could fit three cigarettes there (if I smoked) or a stubby pencil (if I needed one) I just wanted to correct an earlier statement I made- I DO recall SOMEWHERE it was mentioned that thats for a spare- whether Helite word or interweb myth, I know not. My RDL seat arrives tomorrow and I'll probably sort things out then- though to be honest- with two lanyards and four bikes the vest itself may not be the worst place to keep it LOL.

There is a small zippered "pocket" under a flap on the opposite side of the vest from the "active" cartridge. To tell the truth I haven't decided where I'll put the spare- probably not there- I could fit three cigarettes there (if I smoked) or a stubby pencil (if I needed one) I just wanted to correct an earlier statement I made- I DO recall SOMEWHERE it was mentioned that thats for a spare- whether Helite word or interweb myth, I know not. My RDL seat arrives tomorrow and I'll probably sort things out then- though to be honest- with two lanyards and four bikes the vest itself may not be the worst place to keep it LOL.

:thumb That pocket on my large T2 is 3" deep and 4" tall. Wondering why yours is that much smaller. In your case, maybe the spare should be kept with the vest.

Back