• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Transmission issue. Help. On the road

tthouses

capt. paul
Cheers
I'm on a tour from austin Texas to Buenos Aires. Now in Argentina. I'm having transmission/clutch issue. After riding for hours and usually hotter conditions I have trouble shifting from second to third. It's happened couple times. But other Day had to shut bike down and cool. Then ok. But later that day after 100 miles I couldn't shift to fifth gear. Had to downshift and then go back up. In any case I have 3000 mikes to go in this trip. I changed gear oil and leave towards Mendoza today. There is a bmw mechanic there I was told

In morning alls good. The oil I drained was black with just a few metal filings on magnetic plug. But nothing crazy. The clutch feels great. The linkage looks good. I cleaned and oiled linkage. It happens later in day and usually after going through town with lots of shifting.

Anybody else have issues. Or suggestions. One mechanic at home said sounded like failing gear box. Please no!

It's. 2012 BMW R1200 GS Rallye edition. WITH ONLY 17k mikes. THE bike was in mint condition when I bought it 8 months ago

If you get this and can suggest please email me! Or text. I'm on the road! Much appreciated
Paul Violand
tthousesaustin@gmail.com
512-709-8134

Hopefully you're not having an issue with clutch /input shaft splines. Sucks to have that happen on what sounds like a great trip. Did you ride from Texas all the way through Central America and into South America? Did you have to put your bike on any Ferries to get across water?

Cheers
I'm on a tour from austin Texas to Buenos Aires. Now in Argentina. I'm having transmission/clutch issue. After riding for hours and usually hotter conditions I have trouble shifting from second to third. It's happened couple times. But other Day had to shut bike down and cool. Then ok. But later that day after 100 miles I couldn't shift to fifth gear. Had to downshift and then go back up. In any case I have 3000 mikes to go in this trip. I changed gear oil and leave towards Mendoza today. There is a bmw mechanic there I was told

In morning alls good. The oil I drained was black with just a few metal filings on magnetic plug. But nothing crazy. The clutch feels great. The linkage looks good. I cleaned and oiled linkage. It happens later in day and usually after going through town with lots of shifting.

Anybody else have issues. Or suggestions. One mechanic at home said sounded like failing gear box. Please no!

It's. 2012 BMW R1200 GS Rallye edition. WITH ONLY 17k mikes. THE bike was in mint condition when I bought it 8 months ago

If you get this and can suggest please email me! Or text. I'm on the road! Much appreciated
Paul Violand
tthousesaustin@gmail.com
512-709-8134

I wish I could help you out. I did speak with my BMW tech who I highly respect and he said it also sounds like a failing gearbox. I have the same bike as you. Mine only has 6K miles. I just bought it last fall and hope I don't encounter the same issue as I am also planning a long tour later this year. Please let us know how this all works out for you. Take care.

Try bleeding the clutch and see if that helps. Don't have a 1200 but clutch could be causing some of your issues.

Back