• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

TPMS Going out

jemmons

Has anyone had success with installing a TPMS sensor purchased from Amazon?
I was quoted $340 for the BMW replacement
Did the new one last?
Thanks

I have heard that the Amazon ones can be hit and miss but I have heard good things about buying them from Woody's. Who knows could be the same ones but at least this guy has a great reputation.

What year and mileage do you have with your bike? I am thinking about buying new TPMS sensors from Woodys wheel works as I don’t relish the idea of having to replace them after I mount my new Dunlop TMM tires as they are a PITA to deal with…

What year and mileage do you have with your bike? I am thinking about buying new TPMS sensors from Woodys wheel works as I don’t relish the idea of having to replace them after I mount my new Dunlop TMM tires as they are a PITA to deal with…
I don't know about Jemmons but I have a 2015 and my rear just went out and now the front is taking a long time to get a reading but still works. I'm going to wait till I need new tires first

I don't know about Jemmons but I have a 2015 and my rear just went out and now the front is taking a long time to get a reading but still works. I'm going to wait till I need new tires first
Your reply to the OP popped up before my response..:laugh but thanks for your reply as well. My bike is a 2018 GSA with 66k on it.. Maybe I’m still ok?

Has anyone had success with installing a TPMS sensor purchased from Amazon?
I was quoted $340 for the BMW replacement
Did the new one last?
Thanks
I’ve seen too many problematic items on Amazon to buy any safety-related items there. Other sources have been discussed in this thread.

Best,
DeVern

I bought a set on fleabay for $48.32. I replaced one on my rear wheel and soon the front will require a swap; it showed no pressure the other day. I had a plan to change it out tomorrow, but then it worked fine on my two short rides today. :dunno The battery may be getting ready to die, so off it comes.

The one that I replaced on my rear wheel has been working properly for my commutes in the past two weeks. It shows up in the dash with a similar time frame as the OEM ones do.

Bike is 2015 GSA with original monitors. This is needed for rear tire

I've installed about 50 of the "off shore" versions of both the ones with the integral valve stem (spoked rim) and the "banana" style with the shear bolt holding them to the rim for the spoke mounted fill valve. (cast spokes)
They work very will and are less than $30 for a PAIR.
It takes me about 20min per wheel to install them and then about 10min at the bike with the GS-911 connected to get them paired to the RDC module of the bike.
The last 10 or so of these I've received come with the individual serial number on a sticker to be used for activation.
I keep a box of a dozen of them on hand to install at the Tech Days I hold and at the ART's events done with BMWST.com

Brad

I've installed about 50 of the "off shore" versions of both the ones with the integral valve stem (spoked rim) and the "banana" style with the shear bolt holding them to the rim for the spoke mounted fill valve. (cast spokes)
They work very will and are less than $30 for a PAIR.
It takes me about 20min per wheel to install them and then about 10min at the bike with the GS-911 connected to get them paired to the RDC module of the bike.
The last 10 or so of these I've received come with the individual serial number on a sticker to be used for activation.
I keep a box of a dozen of them on hand to install at the Tech Days I hold and at the ART's events done with BMWST.com

Brad
Any idea if they last as long as the OEM ones? Or is it to soon to say.

How long do they last?
So far, these that I've purchased from this vendor on Amazon, have been on bikes I see regularly for over 2 years, some for almost 4 years.

What you should balance out is that in MY case, doing the install and activation is what I consider pretty easy... and FREE...so I will take advantage if the low cost of the TPMS sending units and knowing that I can replace the percentage that fail in less than a couple of years being my overriding reason for using these "off brand" units.

If you are like what I believe MOST owners have to deal with, and that is maintenance support from a dealer or shop, then both the much higher cost of the TPMS units themselves, and the labor to install them, might make it worth your satisfaction to go with name brand parts.

I've installed 2 sets of these "knock off" TPMS in the last month and one guy had a RAPID loss of air due to slicing the rear tire with some blade type of metal, and the alert activated just as it's designed to and he was able to pull over and stop just as the tire went completely flat. This ruined the tire, but could have avoided a bad situation.
This rider had been putting up with an intermittent/impending failure for a couple of months over the winter, but because he is one of my "herd of bikes" that I normally maintain, he knew that I could install the $27 set of TPMS and provide follow on support...in this case, it's a really valid safety example to not put off keeping this monitoring system working all the time.

Here's the link to the ones I've been getting lately, and the activation tool I need usually to register the TPMS to the RDC (receiver black box on the bike).
https://a.co/d/5LSkiNX
https://a.co/d/040IAex

This YouTube video is from a couple of years ago, so the HexCode software has been updated some, and is slightly different now...but the process is very similar for doing the activation of the new TPMS sending unit.

Hope this helps.
Brad

Last edited:
I bought these for my 2016 1200RS last year. Had them installed and calibrated and they work great! I dont know how long they'll last but at 40 bucks I don't care if I have to replace them every 2 years or whenever I change tires. YMMV....

Last edited:
These are the same except for the attaching method.
The version with the hole is for the using the shear bolt to attach it to an alloy rim with the fill valve in the spoke, (RT and some GS) and the one with the valve stem that goes through the middle of the rim is for wire spoke rims and older early model bikes. (mostly GS...maybe some older RT and K bikes as well).
These work with just about any RDC equipped BMW bike up until 2023 that is using the 433Mhz system...it just depends on the affixing method to hold it to the rim.
I've even seen the older banana style working where the "NEW" compact TPMS was in the original rims...since it's also 433Mhz. This is with a 2023 that started using an older set of rims that had the shear bolt attachment banana style.

https://a.co/d/1u0wQFN
i-RCVWcS7-S.png

https://a.co/d/5LSkiNX
i-jP5fJR4-S.png

This has the same style as the GS through the rim as well...older K1200 bike.
i-t45cjrS-S.jpg
i-ZZj4T8q-S.jpg

The last TPMS BMW sender I bought from the dealer was ~$225? Is the new price $340? That's ridiculous.

The new sender is quite a bit smaller and takes a different bolt.

My experience now with new F/R senders on a 2015 RT is that they have both registered on the bike with no GS911 programming needed. Both were reading the air pressure on the dash within a couple of miles after install.

The last TPMS BMW sender I bought from the dealer was ~$225? Is the new price $340? That's ridiculous.

The new sender is quite a bit smaller and takes a different bolt.

My experience now with new F/R senders on a 2015 RT is that they have both registered on the bike with no GS911 programming needed. Both were reading the air pressure on the dash within a couple of miles after install.
Interesting. Which ones do you speak of? So you just install them and ride away and they will automatically start showing psi?

@reg26, even the old style "banana" ones will be activated by tire rotation and the bike DTC will pick them up "sometimes", so it's not a function of the old style or new style sending units, it's the bike receiver that makes the difference.
If I remember correctly, when I was swapping out sets of rims with new tires vs just changing tires on a single set of rims, the RT can store 2 sets of serial numbers and the GS can only store 1 set...I'm not sure about that, but any of the TPMS senders can be "sometimes".
The new style TPMS uses a shorter attaching bolt for the sending unit and is not compatible with the thicker banana style mounting hole as mentioned in an above thread.
Here's the picture from JoeInTUS over on BMWLT.com
i-JQnmGt6-S.jpg

The RS and R use the same sensors as the RT (banana no stem), and are easy to replace at tire change time.

Back