• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Windscreen and top case for my roadster

DRAMBIE

Hello gang, I have just purchased a new 2023 R1250R and it comes equipped with the tiniest of windscreens. Coming from a 2016 R1200GS and wishing to continue putting in lots of kilometers, I am concerned that the lack of wind protection will significantly increase my fatigue and reduce my ability to cover long distances. Anyone out there with a BMW roadster and doing long distance rides, with recommendations on third party windscreens for the R12xx R bikes? Is the taller BMW oem windscreen sufficient to make a difference?

May I push my luck and also ask for recommendations for a top case? Givi, Shad, other?

Thank you,

Dominique Rambie
Guelph, ON
Canada

Try checking with Parabellum. They make a couple different shields for the R1200R and I suspect the R1250R as well.

Best,
DeVern

Just give it a chance before buying a screen. The R is kinda weird, in that no two people can agree on a screen that works...

There are a lot of discussions regarding windscreens on the R1200RForum that might be worth reading, with lots of different shields covered. The consensus among most riders is that without a screen, the wind is smooth and quiet up to 65-75, where it then becomes more tiring. Windscreens on the R tend to create a lot of turbulence, partially due to the design and location of the mirrors, so finding one that works can be a bit of trial and error.

My 2016 came with a VStream Touring (very tall) that created pressure right at the back of my helmet. I then trimmed it in several steps until it was between the sport-tour and sport sizes, and added an adjustable lip angled forward. This now works for me, with minimal turbulence/buffeting, but is slightly noisier than without any screen at all.

Topcase - mine came with the factory cases, so I have no experience with anything else on these bikes. If yours came with the topcase platform, it is easier to mount either brand than if it didn't. Both have been used, depends on your necessary size/features and $$$ available. Also consider a tail bag instead of a case - more streamlined, and often big enough for the necessities if you aren't looking for a place to lock up your helmet.

Hi. I have a 2023 R1250 R (and a GS and a nineT Scrambler). My R came with the OEM Sport Windscreen. I thought the same thing you do, at first. I bought a Puig Touring windscreen from Revzilla. Now, their site was claiming it did not work and the one they sold came with auxilliary brackets. But I cross checked the actual screen part number on Puig site and in the information on Revzilla and they were the same. So the screen that comes in it has the 4 mounting holes that match the mounting holes on the OEM bracket.

This Puig screen is 195mm taller than the OEM Sport Screen. It moves the airflow off your main torso and up to your shoulders. And perhaps given aerodynamics considerations that volume of moved air ends up having a greater velocity. And that same air has a bit more turbulence at the shoulders and helmet. I have done 2 day trips (one overnight hotel stay) on the R when using the Puig screen. And I have done a long day (250 miles) on the R with just the OEM Sport screen. Currently, the Puig screen is back inthe box and I am riding with the OEM Sport Screen. Your height and quality of helmet also figure in. I use a Shoei RF-1400 helmet (among the several I own that seem fit for purpose and bike) most of the time on the R.

Back