• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

todays newbie parts question: Center stand return spring, and sheath

brant914

Hi again everyone and thank you in advance.

I'm assembling a 1971 R75/5
today's question is regarding the center stand return springs and the rubber sheath that goes over it to keep the spring from scratching the frame.
(at least that is why I think they put it there)

so they show 2 sizes of Sheaths (parts 18 and 19 in the diagram below)

sometimes when I use the parts diagrams... they fail to tell me things like
"one of the pictured parts is for a certain year, one for the later year"

so are both of these 2 plastic/rubber spring-sheaths used on my bike?
and does this look like the correct order/install?

pictures will help
thank you again
brant
123.pngb1.jpgb2.jpgb3.jpg

Attachments

• b3.jpg
    b3.jpg
    368.5 KB · Views: 72
I don't recall these grommets (per the fiche) on my /7, but then I have the Reynolds stand from almost the beginning when I got the bike. There's clearly not much in the RealOEM listings. I checked Bench Mark Works to see what they might say. They list the -786 part as LHS and the -787 part as RHS. Do the springs come that close to the bike/engine when the stand is deployed? Maybe they're not needed???

I don't recall these grommets (per the fiche) on my /7, but then I have the Reynolds stand from almost the beginning when I got the bike. There's clearly not much in the RealOEM listings. I checked Bench Mark Works to see what they might say. They list the -786 part as LHS and the -787 part as RHS. Do the springs come that close to the bike/engine when the stand is deployed? Maybe they're not needed???

the spring will rub on the frame it appears when the center stand is deployed.
(right now my bike is sitting on a cart, so I can't move the stand down to check for certain)

one right and one left
that makes sense
because it does appear the spring will scratch on both sides
thank you

the diagram led me to believe they were both right
and exactly why I asked.

I've got to look for the bench mark listings you mention!

thank you again

It's been quite a while, but I really don't recall the "fatter" rubber piece on any of my Airheads' springs ('71 /5, '73 /5, and two R100s).
Both springs were sheathed for nearly their entire length with some kind of strong black rubber hose (or similar). They were a "snug" fit.
I also don't recall any issue with scratching the frame, but I heard that the sheaths were to to prevent "singing" of the springs while riding.

Back