• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

I'm back with more questions.... this time the tool box, or tool tray

brant914

Hi again
and thanks to all of you for your help

still working on the 1971 R75/5 SWB bike....
todays question is about the tool box.

I believe my box is a repo.
I believe the SWB box is shorter than the rest of the bikes...

so my tool box has no holes... no obvious way to mount it.
it sits nicely but floats in the hole for it
it will not fall out... but will bounce around.

Was the Short Wheel Base tool box supposed to mount in some manner or just sit loosely in the frame?

of course a picture for description:

thumbnail_IMG_1116.jpg

I think the SWB tool box would be the same as my /7 but just shorter. The front part has a molded curve to it that would drop onto the aft end of the upper frame tube. The back part rests on the side-to-side frame piece. I don't think it touches the battery...I have the OEM style battery. Yours seems to sit up quite a bit and that could be due to a battery that is taller than normal. Go to Max BMW and search for part 52531230396. That is the SWB tool box. By contrast, the /7 tool box is part number 52531232640. Max has pictures of what they look like.

Thank you Kurt...
I looked them up.. and don't see obvious mounting hardware on the SWB box
there is something called a "flapper" that looks like it might be a cover... but no obvious mounting hardware

I'll double check on my battery clearance too... good advice.

does the /7 box have a phillips screw (seen in the parts fische) to secure it when mounted.. ?

mine sits nicely on the front and back frame area's you describe... but no provision for a forward screw in the frame, no forward hole in the box.... although I realize that could just be due to not drilled as a reproduction

I think my /7 came with some kind of cover, but it's long gone. There's the rubber trim around the edges. I don't know anything about a screw...don't even see one on the pictures. It's designed to sit in the cavity while resting on the front frame tube and rear crossbar in the frame. It just sits there...of course the seat keeps it from leaving the bike. I think the rubber trim would seal up against the bottom of the seat pan if everything is correct for the bike.

I am not sure if the SWB and LWB tool trays are the same, but I think so. If I recall correctly the difference in the wheel base involves the length of the swing arm and the rear sub frame, with the main loop frame the same on either model.

In any event there are no fasteners. It just drops in and lifts out of the space it sits in.

I have one from a SWB and the tool tray itself is actually shorter. If you'd like I can take a picture of it next to the one from my /7 and post it here.

I have an aluminum tool tray

I'm pretty sure its aftermarket or shop built. Either way its a pretty bad idea for something that sits directly on top and millimeters away from the + & - of the battery. I also have one from my early '70 R 75/5 that is White and its not painted White. I have always wondered if that is an oddity or if the early /5's tool tray is supposed to be White. Does anybody know about that?

If anyone wants to make a tool compartment, order up a sheet of Kydex (Amazon) and form one up to suit.
OM

Those sub-frame bolts......where it attaches to the tab on the main frame...
I am quite sure the bolt inserts from the inside with the nut/washer on the outside.
Give it a try, it may give the tray more room.

georgej -

Could you add more info to the pictures? Do you have images from the sides? Also, how deep is the tray?

thanks for the helpful info about those bolts being backwards.
I can change that....

but for clarification
my tray does not touch the battery, nor the side bolts.
the battery has a factory cover over the connections as well as 2 rubber straps that hold the lid/cover on
my tray still has clearance on its sides and bottom
it is well seated on the front frame, and rear subframe where it rests
it is all the way down and fully seated.

my question was only to ask if it needed bolts to mount it or if it sits and floats on its mounting points.
I appreciate all of the feedback and sounds like it does just sit and float..

I knew that the SWB had a shorter box
I just did not know if it had mounting hardware

thanks again
brant

Back