• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Tires

Walking Eagle

Yes, tires, but don't stone me, yet.

First, I'd "warn" folks about the very fast wear (at least on the rear) for Continental K112's. Down to the wear bars in only 3,000 miles of touring with a very lightweight rider (140#) and not much weight in the bags. NO 2-up riding, at all. Similar comments on BikeBandit website, which I wish I'd read before buying these. This on a '78 RS. Otherwise, they look good, and handle well, as you'd expect with what must be the softest compound in tiredom. Fine for blasting around the 'hood on weekends, but don't take them on tour is my advice.

After spending some time in a tire search this afternoon, I finally found the Dunlop K70 in exactly the right size: F - 3.25 x 19 for $69.10 and R - 4.00 x 18 for $73.40. (BikeBandit) These may not last for very many miles, either, but these "inch" sizes are damn hard to find these days, and are probably getting more scarce all the time. Also, I paid a whopping lot more for the Conti's, so even if the wear is similar, I can replace at a low, low price.

Q: Has anybody run these? What kind of wear can I expect? Aggressive rider.

Walking Eagle

K70 tires

If, in fact, you're an aggressive rider, then I can't understand why you would choose a tire with 60s technology. A modern tire, even if it's in a metric size, will grip better and last longer than the K70. I used one once and got about 8K out of it.

Dunlop K70 and Avon Road Riders

Yes I am running the K70 and they are fine tires for tooling around town. I have them on my 1976 R60/6 for about three years. However on my R60/6 I am not very aggressive... :)

The R60/6 just does not go that fast)

However on my R90S I run Avon Road Riders and I am very happy with them. (Sometimes I go fast :) I have them on for more than a year. Considering you have an 78 R100RS and the most horse power on a serial produced airhead ever, I would definitely choose the Avons over the Dunlop K70. Its a more tire with more contemporary feel to it. Also, the Road Riders also are true to size.

Thanks!

Tom and others, for this valuable info.

I don't install tires myself, so changing them costs, plus time to take off the wheels, etc. I wasn't trying to "cheap out" on the purchase price, and like the sound of the Avons. I'll probably order a pair, and save the "almost new" front Conti for some future use or re-sale.

According to the customer reviews, these will wear extremely well, and offer excellent handling in the bargain. Great choice for the RS or S, especially.

Regards,

Walking Eagle

Last edited:
Another +1 on the Avon AM26's. I ran them on my R100RT -- good mileage, very good handling dry and wet.

You would likely get better tread life with more weight on the bike, as this would cut rear wheel spin.

I agree on using the vintage tires around town or on a "Rally Display Queen. When the K-70 the K-81 and the Conti twins were "new" they were in the top tier of street tires.

I'm sure that they are every bit as good as they were in the '70s. Times change and tire design has improved. Why on earth wouldn't someone who rides lots & lots want the best most modern tire that they could get?

As I recall, the vintage tires cost about as much as modern ones do.

I have a Michelin Pilot Activ 325 X 19 ready to join my Heidenau K36 400 X 18 shortly.

Avons

I've had the Avons on mine for nearly two years- I really like them. Much better than the old Continentals or the Metzelers. Pretty good wear (7500+ miles- the front is still good, but I will need to replace the rear this summer... probably from all of the horsepower-induced wheel spin...:laugh), and great handling. 2/3 of that mileage is riding fairly aggressively, two-up in the hills here in Texas and in Oregon (I think we've got "chip seal" roads in many places, which I've been led to believe can be hard on motorcycle tires).

Back