• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Continental Road Attack 3 Owner Evaluation

BC1100S

Left Coast Rider
Just got through changing out these tires and I thought I'd give my personal evaluation of these tires.

Bike: K1200S
Sizes: 120/70-17, 190/50-17
Use: Sport touring
Avg speeds: 120 km/h
Rider mode: One up with luggage
Bike weight: With rider, about 340 kg (750 lb)

To make this a short story I'll just say that my experience with these tires was excellent. I put 16,000 kilometers on them and they probably had another 4-5,000 left in them - especially the front. I changed them out as I've wanted to try out the Metzeler Roadtec 01 and, due to existing virus situation, I might not get a lot of mileage done this year. The Continentals were used on a variety of roads but mainly good condition pavement. No dirt. Handling was very neutral and the ride quality was very smooth - especially compared to the Metzelers which are noticeably harsher. Turn in on the Continentals was very good and the tires were quite stable at all lean angles. Good in the rain, too! The wear pattern was very good with no "nickeling" on the front (suspension components are kept in good condition). The rear tire had begun to slightly flatten out - no surprise there but with no ill effects on how the bike steered.

All in all, a very satisfying tire. Your mileage, and opinions, may vary!

Last edited:
Impressive! You averaged 120 kph over 16000 kilometers. That's some moving going on!! :wave

I'll never seek out another tire model for my R1200RTW until the RA3 is discontinued. I'm on my second set, they don't howl in turns, they need zero scrub-in, they are excellent in linear grooved pavement, turn-in and line holding in turns is perfect/neutral, they retain shape as good or better than the other 3 tires tried (PR4GT, Pirelli Angel GT, Metz Z8) and bonus you don't need to overinflate the front in order to prevent significant cupping. PR4GT was garbage in terms of cupping--in less than 2K miles they were screwed, plus in the last 2K miles their they began howling in turns. Angel GT's turn-in was just way out of step with the weight and suspension of the motorcycle--it took me a full 400-500m to just get used to the fact their turn-in was too easy, when then led to a tendency to over-correct and hence line holding was poorer. Metz, well you know they just give you the 5 minute warning before the cords blow up!

I'm also very happy with mine. On my third set, after going back and forth between the usual suspects, save the newest PR. I've tried enough tires, to know that it is Road Attack 3 for me.

I had a set of these put on after wearing out the Michelins that my '16RT came with and have been very happy with them. I'd put about 8,000 miles on the Michelins. I now have about the same number of miles on these RA 3's, looks like a couple thousand miles left on them. Due to my remote rural location a lot of these miles were on tar-chip roads, AKA "cheese grater" roads, so I think that speaks well for the longevity. They are much less twitchy, more stable, perhaps "neutral" is the best term, and seem to have incredible grip on wet roads.

Back