• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Tire Air Pump Poll

Thanks OM , no I never have. At one National they had a practice tire plugging area but I've forgotten that skill. If my good luck continues I will use the pump and get to help ASAP. Are the rope type plugs effective for these quality RT tires? Dunlop, Michelin .

I have a number of tire repair kits. My two favorite systems are-

The 2 I have from Safety Seal in 2 sizes-

B000NZSZPO_1_1300x.jpg

https://safetyseal.com

And, Tech-2-way-

215PK-1-600x600.png

https://products.techtirerepairs.com

With these kits, I have never failed to be able to plug a leak. I have stacked as many as 5 together on a piece of heavy equipment (Backhoe) which held for the remaining service life of the tire.
I also have the Tech-2-way patches for tubes which are great although it's important to check for the condition (age) of the glue as it does go bad.

OM

Are the rope type plugs effective for these quality RT tires? Dunlop, Michelin .

I've used the rope type plugs on the wife's car, my truck, and 4 different motorcycle tires. If I remember right, one was a Metzler, One was a Dunlop, I currently have 2 in a Pirelly Route 66 (I'm avoiding any long distance runs on that one).

No issues on either use. Just make sure you follow the directions, and the plugs will probably last the rest of the tire life.
Also, make sure you are on the "tread" of the tire... if it's the sidewall that has a hole, replace the tire immediately.

I have the same Mot Pumps Air Shot and it is an excellent 12V pump. I also carry a bicycle hand pump in my hydration bag pocket on my jacket. My 1100 S has CO2 cartridges under the seat but I need a new set of pugs for my little plug kit.

Does the battery on the battery pumps make it much bigger? I also hate the thought of more things to charge.

I have the same Mot Pumps Air Shot and it is an excellent 12V pump. I also carry a bicycle hand pump in my hydration bag pocket on my jacket. My 1100 S has CO2 cartridges under the seat but I need a new set of pugs for my little plug kit.

Does the battery on the battery pumps make it much bigger? I also hate the thought of more things to charge.

When I layout my Air Shot with the power cord and hose it's about the same dimensions as the Lexin in post #5.
The Air Shot may pack small because it's in three pieces. Pump, power cord and air hose.
A friend keeps his Air Shot under the rear trim panel on the side of the pillion seat of a K1300S.

I carry a Lexin rechargeable tire pump, which is very nice, and a set of Kegeter Tire Repair Rubber Nails.

The tire pump has enough juice (5000mAh Battery) to fill a few tires from flat and still recharge your phone several times. Before attending the rally this year I replaced both tires and filled them with the Lexin tire pump. It didn't go down a single notch on the display.

I haven't had to use the rubber nails yet, but the youtube video is pretty impressive. I've thought about drilling a hole in my spare lawnmower tire just to try them out. You can get a pack of 48 for $11 from Amazon.

Have you found the hose to be long enough to service tires? I have something similar and the hose is really short (story of my life :)) Wondering if a longer one can be bought.

Have you found the hose to be long enough to service tires? I have something similar and the hose is really short (story of my life :)) Wondering if a longer one can be bought.

The hose is only about six inches long.

I should have added; I had bought an Accutire tire pressure gauge based on discussion & recommendations on a similar thread in the past. The Lexin tire pump has a digital display of the current tire pressure. It is always an exact match to the Accutire gauge. On the trip to and from the rally last month, I just used the Lexin tire pump to check my tire pressure every morning. Then if it was down a half a pound or a pound, I just hit the on/off button and topped off the tire.

Last edited:
I plan on investing in a Cycle Pump here as soon as possible. I was carrying an item more or less identical to this piece of trash sold under about 75 different chi-com names. I got it as a gift. It was a great size- seemed to have a decent battery, but otherwise- total trash. Claimed to be 100% automated- among other things. You just connect it to the item, set the desire pressure and let it go.... aaaaaaaaand nada... Worst piece of junk ever made. Bad for even Amazon- which is saying a lot.

The Moto Pumps are excellent and the customer service is excellent. I had bought his first pump in '07 and when I needed to replace it I called him to discuss. He still had the records of my ordering my first pump and took good care of me. When I thought I lost the air hose to my Air Shot he sent me a new one. I send all of my tire repair business to him.

Air compressor vs air compressor/jump box?

Hi, all-I’m just getting back into riding, and based on what I’ve read, I went and bought a small compressor. I didn’t know they make combination compressor/jump boxes, but after seeing lots of battery failure and my-bike-won’t-start posts, I’ve about decided that the combo is the way to go. I have spotted an LC Lenercom unit with all kinds of protections against charging mishaps and the like, which Amazon recommends. Does anyone have experience or recommendations?

Thanks much!

Did you guys know that the BMW bikes of the 1960s and '70s (and maybe somewhat later) came with a manual tire pump and patches for their spoke-wheel tube tires?
I'll vouch for several flats coming at the worst times, and the factory repair kit worked fine. However, even then, I would've loved to have an electric pump.

Hi, all-I’m just getting back into riding, and based on what I’ve read, I went and bought a small compressor. I didn’t know they make combination compressor/jump boxes, but after seeing lots of battery failure and my-bike-won’t-start posts, I’ve about decided that the combo is the way to go. I have spotted an LC Lenercom unit with all kinds of protections against charging mishaps and the like, which Amazon recommends. Does anyone have experience or recommendations?

Thanks much!

My only recommendation would be to avoid Amazon recommendations.

My new to me'83 R100 RS still had the pump under the seat and it still works! My R1100S had a full repair kit of plugs and 3 CO2 cartridges under the seat.

My '04 R1200C same with the plug kit & CO2 cartridge set. I recently replaced the 19 year old plugs & cartridges for peace of mind.

Amazingly, I've never used the factory kit. Every flat I've had on that bike was noticed when I was near my (or a family member's) shop with air compressor & plug kit hanging on the wall.

My R1100S had a full repair kit of plugs and 3 CO2 cartridges under the seat.

I told this story once before but I am repeating it here. About 35 years ago Voni and I were headed to the Houston Club rally in Texas from our home in Topeka, Kansas. We made it 74 miles before Voni pulled to the shoulder just as we were entering a small Kansas town. Her rear tire was flat. I looked across the highway and saw a restaurant with an empty parking lot and several trees along the edge. Shade!!

We rolled her bike across the highway and into the shade. I proceeded to repair the tire. I had a BMW plug kit and we each had three CO2 cartridges in our bikes. I used one cartridge but couldn't find the leak. Then cartridge #2. Still couldn't find the leak. Then #3.

I muttered half-way to myself "if this $h!t keeps up I am going to buy an electric pump." Voni replied, "Ok, I'll go next door and buy one." I had failed to notice we were next door to an Alco Store. She came back with a 12v pump. Since at that time I was a heavy smoker I had a cigarette lighter on the handlebar of my bike.

I attached the pump to the tire and promptly broke the little plastic handle on the head of the hose. She took it back and replaced the pump. I then attached the hose and turned on the pump. With a steady flow of air into the tire I could rather easily locate the hole in the tire. I plugged the tire, inflated it with my new pump and we proceeded to south Texas, and later back home again. I still have that pump. It lives in our camper van.

My point with this story is that I don't believe that three CO2 cartridges is a sufficient safety net if a person gets a flat tire on the road. Unless a nail or screw is immediately obvious it will take at least one cartridge to find the leak. The remaining two will get a rear tire up to maybe 20 pounds or so, at which time it is necessary to limp at relatively slow speed to wherever a source of air can be found. I can't vouch for the eastern half of the US or Canada but in the plains and mountain west, sources of air are few and far between. A pump is also a lot more useful if a person wishes to add a little air while on a trip.

Back