• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

The Rally Sucked

DID NOT. :1drink:bottle WE were at the same place, doing the same thing, at different times. Some of them good old boys were mighty sneaky.

It kind of comes down to what someone once said to me:

I said "I'm bored", their response? "Maybe you're boring".
Life is what you make it, rallies included.

Beer Issues

Just thought that I'd weigh in on some of the postings regarding the " biergarten".
This was the very first time that a special permit was issued for the fairgrounds, and we handled ourselves admirably. The Washington County sheriffs were all impressed, and easy to work with. BTW, the "guests" of the great state of Tenn. WERE emptying barrels, removing trash, and helping to clean up in the mornings at the tent.
There were port o johns behind the second tent, not 40 yds from the entrance. Tenn law does not allow alcohol to go into OR out of a bar, and that is what we are at a rally. The location was problematic, AGAIN because of a law. Remember that church you saw on the way in? BINGO! Can't sell alcohol within x feet of a church. And since we had to move, we were away from food sites.
Every rally has its quirks, but from my point of view, we had GREAT volunteers every day. Thank you all. { y'all?}
Jim F.
The Beer Team:drink

Sooo many "Rallies"in me now:)

I still find it exciting to see all of us get together every year, newbies and oldies:). I THINK BMW "fell on their face" at the closing ceremonies, NOT giving that new BMW GS model away. It looked sour to me, when they rolled it off, out of sight. BMW has not been giving bikes away for a lot of years now and just maybe they should start again. Thank you BMWMOA for still doing it:). I admit, "I too" fell down, not regarding new #1 wearers and welcoming more of them. I could have done better. Come back please. Tenn. was a real nice time for me and family. Redmond, here I come. I sure hope a Western Rally can draw a LOT of riders too, but its always been less numbers for us out here in the west for our rallies:(. Bring it on, ALL you back East! I came from the far West and now its your turn:). Redmond is a VERY NICE sight and I was there the first time. Its flat, premier grass camping a really nice town and tons of great riding nearby, Mountains and all else:). Randy

I still find it exciting to see all of us get together every year, newbies and oldies:). I THINK BMW "fell on their face" at the closing ceremonies, NOT giving that new BMW GS model away. It looked sour to me, when they rolled it off, out of sight. BMW has not been giving bikes away for a lot of years now and just maybe they should start again. Randy

I don't think they should have given it away. I think they should have auctioned it off on the spot with proceeds going to charity. I think it would have brought far more than MSRP. I had a friend who wanted it badly and he even tried to buy it. Price didn't seem to be an object for him. He went home and bought one from his dealer but I'm sure he would have paid more to have the first one.

Ken

Just thought that I'd weigh in on some of the postings regarding the " biergarten".

This was the very first time that a special permit was issued for the fairgrounds, and we handled ourselves admirably. The Washington County sheriffs were all impressed, and easy to work with.

i have it on good authority that the beer permit we have will be framed and hung on the sheriff's wall as a "piece of Washington county history." :drink

ian

Sorry Visian;

I've got your hometown confused as Marion? Its not, I see. PM says otherwise by me! Sheriffs have a token of our doings? Sounds interesting. Hope we impressed'em. Randy

OK...just a minor thing. I know that we are all getting older, but why are there so many golf carts pushing their way through the pedestrian areas? Bikes aren't allowed, but these 4 wheeled, lazy people, rides cruise around constantly. They think nothing of pulling out in front of a fully loaded bike with 2 people on board because.......they somehow have the right of way???? Again just a minor problem, but maybe the number of carts could be limited. No joy riding. Try to keep them away from pedestrians.

BTW this is the 11th rally I have attended in a row. I LOVE the rallys!! I DO volunteer. I appreciate the work that goes on. See you in Redmond......again!

I guess I am just another lazy volunteer. The First Aid Volunteer's were given instruction's by me to rove around the rally ground's and also to keep the seat's filled and offer rides. I also made sure that there was cold bottled water for volunteer's and rally goer's.
So if you saw the First Aid cart driving around, there was good reason for it. The cart was clearly marked along with a fully equipped medical jump kit on board. So please do not call my volunteer's lazy that also goes for the majority of people you saw with cart's.
All of the committee chair's worked so hard to put on a rally for everyone to enjoy and be safe. Three section's that really should have great recognition is the Shipping and Recieving, Vendor Set Up and the Go Fer's. Each day these people were awake before the rooster crowed. Their dedication to the MOA is absolutely outstanding. They have loads of responsability.
I arrived to the rally site on the 12th to get my section set up and assist the other sections for the rally preperation. I never got a chance to go through the vendor area which was probably good becuase I made it home with a lot of unspent cash. I did not even get a rally shirt. First Aid stayed busy.
I was truly shocked at the hostile attitude some rally folk's had. I was questioned by a man that exited his RV and went to the men's rest room in the set a side building for the committee chair's. He had asked me what makes us so special that we get a building. He also asked how much we are paid by the MOA. All he could do was bash on the MOA. That really hurt!
I stated to this man that if he disagreed with the way the operation was being run, perhaps he should use his negative energy and volunteer to work at a rally and see what is like too set up. This goes to anybody that feels they are being cheated out of something.
The BMWMOA Committee Chair's are NOT PAID. We volunteer becuase the majority of the Committee Chair's have an expertice in the area that they are in charge of. We are dedicated to making the rally work and try to accomadate the need's of the MOA as a whole.
I hope you do not feel that I am complaining in any way shape of form. I plan on being back next year chairing the First Aid section. I have a special place in my heart for the BMWMOA. I refer to the club as my family. You all mean so much too me. I always want to do what is best for everyone involved. All I ask is that you do not call us people with cart's lazy people.

Sincerely
Pat Carol

There was NO parking for us who chose to hotel it. I drove around the fairgrounds twice before I realized that someone overlooked this very important item. Other than that, I enjoyed myself and plan to attend the Redmond rally next year. Let's see if we can get this right by then.

I know this comes way too late but there was a parking lot just past the registration school building, which is where I parked Friday and Saturday. Only problem was: after the Saturday night closing ceremonies, the gate nearest the school was closed and locked; it previously had been open and staffed. I and about 50 others climbed over the ten-foot-topped-with-barbwire fence to get out.

Last edited:
This was my first Rally, and the first time I have ever camped.

I rode alone from NJ, and I felt like an outsider, even with my "1" pin. I did try to talk to to some people, but I wasn't very successful. I think I look normal! :laugh

Paul

Paul,
I'm planning on Redmond next year. I would welcome a fellow NJ/NY/Pa rider for the long trip.

Newbie at the Rally

"Hi...I'm so-and-so from wherever, and this is my first time at a rally. What about you?" You'd be surprised what you find out!

jacqui

"Life is short...go for a ride."

This was my first rally. Attended at the suggestion of a good friend from VA. Stayed off-site (glad I did). I also wore the #1 pin and I felt isolated from the rest of the group. Rode up from TX by myself and glad to see other Beemer riders on the way who were just great. Got to the rally and it was completely different. I had a more enjoyable time in the hotel parking lot with the other Beemers than I did at the rally itself. Not knocking the rally, but I was expecting something more than I experienced. The hotel parking lot was more enjoyable than the rally grounds.:type

This was my first rally. Attended at the suggestion of a good friend from VA. Stayed off-site (glad I did). I also wore the #1 pin and I felt isolated from the rest of the group. Rode up from TX by myself and glad to see other Beemer riders on the way who were just great. Got to the rally and it was completely different. I had a more enjoyable time in the hotel parking lot with the other Beemers than I did at the rally itself. Not knocking the rally, but I was expecting something more than I experienced. The hotel parking lot was more enjoyable than the rally grounds.:type

I've attended the last 4 rallies. At the first one (Vermont) we stayed in a hotel, but I felt isolated from the rally and the other riders. At the next 3 rallies I camped, volunteered and had a great time. It has been the exact opposite experience for me - the hotel parking lot was quiet; but the people that I camped next too at the rally were great - in fact we now make a point of camping together.

I see you're not far from Houston. Come to a Houston's club meeting - we'll make you welcome!

I think they should shut down the beer tent earlier. The next day I was in a fog.
morinsunshine.jpg

You need to hang out later in the evening(at the Rally). That's when all the fun starts!:eat:bottle:laugh

Not that complaining will do any good but....

I rode from California to attend my third or forth National Rally and in my opinion this one was the worst organized of the lot and I will think very carefully before spending the time and money to attend another one.

I have the same complaints as some of the other posters concerning the shi**ers and the traffic flow but afyet riding across the country, I arrived the day before the rally opened, only to find that two local clubs had cordoned off the only shaded/level camping space and were saving all of it for their fellow club members!

OTOH, they did offer to sell me a membership for $40 cash that would allow me to camp with them but it was an offer that was easy to decline.

The clubs involved was the Blackhawk Region Christian Riders Assc. I will admit that some of the members were nice guys once I got to know them but after riding 3000+ moles to attend the event, having to deal with these guys cordoning off 30 tent spaces for themselves felt pretty shitty and unchristian to me!

All-in-all, the RA rally was a much better, friendlier, more cohesive and better planned event.

Sorry BMWMOA.... It's the truth!

Best bikes ... worst riders.

I am a Noob to the MOA and it was my first rally. Actually had a great time. My only bitch is that some jacka$$ on a red Hack got driving around my campsite where he shouldn't have, and ran over my tarp strings (which were clearly marked), cut the lines and snapped the pole. No note, no nothing ... just drove away. My neighbors were kind enough to tell me what happened and describe said jacka$$. A new pole was only $32 but a simple note or apology would have been nice. :stick

Back