• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Traveling to the Rally questions

catskillsu

Hi all!

We're looking forward to the June rally! We have three scenarios we're looking at:

1) ride from the Catskills (NYS) west to Oregon and ship the bikes back

2) ship the bikes there and ride back home

3) rent bikes there and fly to/from

Input needed on:

1) Advice about shipping (timing, etc) and recommendations for shippers greatly appreciated.

2) Is there a "better" way to travel (east vs west).

3) Any Easterners planning a caravan?

Thanks for your input!!!!

IMHO I'd ship the bikes to OR and then ride back. This way you don't have a deadline to get somewhere unless it is work.... I personally don't like deadlines when riding as it seems that you're 'forced' to get X amount of miles per day in... It is about the journey and not the destination. YMMV šŸ˜Š
Others will chime in on shippers as I have never done that..

I would consider a hybrid of the fly & rent stated above. Especially since you are talking about two bikes as I read it.
Fly in & rent a car to utilize during the rally time; Thursday thru Sunday from PDX for example.
Low cost comparatively, especially on a weekly rate.
No great need for 2 bike rentals ($$$) sitting around the Rally grounds 2 or 3 days, or more.
Then use the "time" before or after the event, depending on your schedule, to rent & RIDE the bikes for THE 5 or 7 days,
that you would be pounding miles to/from NY.
Likely best use of the time/money equation, offering the most riding within the zone of enjoyment... the PNW.

Fly in & rent a car to utilize during the rally time; Thursday thru Sunday from PDX for example.
Low cost comparatively, especially on a weekly rate.
No great need for 2 bike rentals ($$$) sitting around the Rally grounds 2 or 3 days, or more.
Then use the "time" before or after the event, depending on your schedule, to rent & RIDE the bikes for THE 5 or 7 days,
Good point (y)

Have fun figuring it out.

As noted above, if you're tight for money, flying coach and renting a car is always cheaper than touring on a modern motorcycle - even if you're camping. Gas alone would run about $800/bike round trip - well unless you're running 310s, but that's another thread.

If you're going to fly and rent, I recommend Eagle Rider, who'll get you a new RT or GS with luggage out of Seattle, San Francisco, Denver, or Chicago (or an R18 Transcontinental out of Vegas). If you're limited on time, Seattle and the the Cascades can make for a good 4 days of riding before and 2 after the Rally. For fun, I checked - about $1400 for an RT, fully insured, for 9 days out of Seattle.

That said, as an old guy, I recommend that if you can afford it, ride both ways and make a proper trip of it.

Last edited:
Ship bikes to La Grande or Baker City, Oregon. Ride to Rally. Ride home. You won't regret it.

Back