• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

The New R1250RS Announced

Tempting

This is tempting me to perhaps buy a BMW newer than a 84. Problem is BMW closed down the only dealership within a 200 mile distance. So I guess despite it being a great looking bike, I will pass. St.

What are the ergonomic differences between the RS and RT? Are the pegs set higher, more rearward?

I'd say based on past models of each, the RS will be a somewhat more aggressive riding position with higher more aft set pegs and more forward reach to slightly narrower bars. And of course less protection from the elements with the much smaller fairing. One would have to compare both in the flesh (metal ?) to say for sure though.

thanks lee, i actually forgot about that site. Looks a little to racy for my old knees. Would like to replace the rt with something lighter but keep the 1250 motor and shaft drive. Probably leaning toward a standard gs.

1250r !
Okay, changed to R but it corrected to lower case twice

Last edited:
Since the Oilhead release, maybe even the K bikes, BMW has been using an automotive style integrated alternator. The Airhead was the last bike from BMW with a rotor and stator as separate components.

I think the Wetheads have internal system unlike the alternators on top of the engine of previous models. It’s why repairing bad stators requires pulling engine and cracking cases. Someone quoted 11 hours labor!

Edit:
German speak! Inside the engine

3FA3E574-8F06-47DF-8EF2-6CBDEE61459B.jpeg

Last edited:
I think the Wetheads have internal system unlike the alternators on top of the engine of previous models. It’s why repairing bad stators requires pulling engine and cracking cases. Someone quoted 11 hours labor!

You're kidding. If the alternator goes I have to split the engine cases?

Back