• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

The history of BMW Motorrad clubs in the USA...

So here is part of the story, this is dated March 23, 1972

Screen%20Shot%202021-11-22%20at%209.33.31%20AM-L.png

This must, I assume, refer to the BMW RA since riders is not in the name of the BMW MOA. Or was this just the San Diego Club?

My own feeling without any substantiation ass to 1972 is that people take pride in "ownership." Especially with property and "luxury" goods. So the word owners was used in reference to those high falutin German motorcycles!!

This must, I assume, refer to the BMW RA since riders is not in the name of the BMW MOA. Or was this just the San Diego Club?

I don't know... honestly, I am working from incomplete information.

In the book that Vince put together with many volunteers, there is an article written by Frank Diederich, who is one of the BMW MOA founders. He mentions that the BMW MOA came into being on the 15th of January, 1972. The copy of the BMW MOA's Articles of Incorporation are signed by Vern Hanson on March 24, 1972 and by the California Secretary of State on April 6th 1972.

There was a whole lot going on then and it's not my main mission to find out the details of the national clubs. The thing that impresses me most is that there was a lot of local/state activity going on with (mostly) enthusiastic young BMW riders that led to bigger things... and I have heard a few new names in the process. I honestly think that is the story, which is why I wrote the title of this thread the way I did.

Figuring that the MOA and RA will both focus on their 50th year in 2022, the story of all USA motorrad clubs needs telling, as much as I can, all in one place. I am hoping that there are some people reading this that might be able to contribute here.

It would really be helpful to this work if I could view copies of the early years of the BMW Owners News. You were President back when there was a big discussion about digitizing those, but I am not aware if that ever happened?

If that information is available, I'd still be afraid to ask to see it... fearing I would be told :nono

:ha

It would really be helpful to this work if I could view copies of the early years of the BMW Owners News. You were President back when there was a big discussion about digitizing those, but I am not aware if that ever happened?

If that information is available, I'd still be afraid to ask to see it... fearing I would be told :nono

:ha

That effort halted when one key tech contributor refused to agree that the magazine contents could be released in a different format. He feared that some of the information in his articles was out of date and thus should not be re-released. That led to some consideration of excising parts from the material. Once things got difficult - ie needing an editor in addition to turning magazines over to be digitized - the whole thing died. As far as I now know it was never revived. However, the Owners News contributors boiler plate consent was altered to henceforth allow the republication in alternative formats, allowing for example a magazine article to also be on the website.

AMA News, April 1971 Issue

When I was doing some consulting work with the AMA some time ago, they had just wrapped up a project of digitizing their magazine from ancient history to the current day. I just remembered they did that (getting old is hell!)

These docs are on Google and on Page 48 of the April, 1971 issue, the following turned up in a search. It was written by Bill Harroll, the AMA's Ambassador to local clubs (I am assuming Chartered with the AMA)....

Harmer_AMA_BenHarroll-X3.png

That effort halted when one key tech contributor refused to agree that the magazine contents could be released in a different format.

OK, this is pretty much how I remembered it, but wasn't sure if anything ever progressed.

fwiw, I spent a good amount of time talking with that same person at a rally, explaining how his concerns could be addressed in a BMW MOA technical wiki (Greg Feeler's idea), where his knowledge could be preserved and attributed, and updated to be current.

He wouldn't budge! :ha

The start

Well, I was there in San Diego and a member of that club. Bill Harmer was a member as well as John Herrman and a bunch of folks that were responsible for pushing for a National Club.
If you read the articles by Jeff Dean and Frank Diederich in the book "BMWMOA The first 35 years" you can get a good understanding of what was happening back then. When the separating of OA and RA took place those of us in the San Diego club were in the thick of it.
The decision of the leaders of the OA were correct as to being prudent and non-political as the club was still small and no one had the vision of becoming what we have today. As well, there shouldn't have been a reason to affiliate with an up and coming Honda-4 club and chartering with the AMA.

Well, I was there in San Diego and a member of that club. Bill Harmer was a member as well as John Herrman and a bunch of folks that were responsible for pushing for a National Club.
If you read the articles by Jeff Dean and Frank Diederich in the book "BMWMOA The first 35 years" you can get a good understanding of what was happening back then. When the separating of OA and RA took place those of us in the San Diego club were in the thick of it.
The decision of the leaders of the OA were correct as to being prudent and non-political as the club was still small and no one had the vision of becoming what we have today. As well, there shouldn't have been a reason to affiliate with an up and coming Honda-4 club and chartering with the AMA.

Thanks you for this!

As I posted earlier, I have Frank Diederich's article and figure that is a very accurate account. Reading this 15 years ago is what got me interested in the history of motorrad clubs in the US. But until now, I had not thought about it much.

I think you also put your finger on a question that all clubs ultimately face: are we centered around motorcyclists' rights (which involves things like banning motorcycles from highways), consumer rights (e.g. the "wobble" in /5s), services (e.g. charitable fundraising) or community (social, fun, benefits, etc.).

I sure know that we went through this in the Georgia Club, several times.

Please tell us about the San Diego club, as that is more to the point of this thread. I heard from the Alabama outrider that when he arrived at Bill Harmer's house in 1971, he found the SoCal riders to be way out in front with their bikes, accessories, riding and touring. What was going on back then? When were you founded? Who were your first leaders? :ear

Also, this is from the San Diego club's Facebook page, John Hermann (see the OP in this thread) is still out there and at em. I understand he's not riding any more, but so cool that he stays connected to the community.

Screen%20Shot%202021-11-23%20at%208.07.05%20AM-X2.png

With this post on FB it is written:

BMWOCSD HOLIDAY PARTY Dec 5th

A big debt of gratitude to the King of the Alps, John Herman, for rescuing the Holiday Party from the ashes of covid emotions. Within hours of announcing the cancellation of the party as we wouldn’t make the minimum attendance at Tom Ham’s Lighthouse, John offered to cover any additional costs to the Club concerning a low turnout. John wants to celebrate with his BMW family at Tom Ham’s and gosh darnit we’re going!
So please press the reset button and join the King, our patron saint, for a traditional BMWOCSD holiday celebration. See the Club website, bmwocsd.org and right in the middle is the invite link, $45 per person.
After a libation and a darn decent buffet President Gene Calbow will give out some Good Guy awards, we’ll raffle some door prizes, and present the 2022 Club officers. From noon to 1pm Dennis Way will be taking and instantly printing free professional Holiday Photos so look your best. Text or call me with any questions, concerns – or to donate a raffle prize. Mike Lynch XXX-XXX-XXXX [didn't want to post phone # publicly)

BMWOCSD Holiday Party
Sunday Dec 5th – Noon to 4pm
Tom Ham’s Lighthouse 619-291-9110
2150 Harbor Island Dr, SD CA 92101
See the website bmwocsd.org for tickets

DetroitTouringClub.jpg

As I research this subject, I am coming up short on info/contacts with The BMW Touring Club of Detroit. It would be so cool to hear some stories about the club's founding and early days. I would love to know if Vern Hanson is still around and if he can be contacted.

Reading about the club, I see they're pretty active in advriding, too. Good for them! :thumb

Tried contacting them via their web site but no answer yet. afaik, it could be in a spam bucket.

If anyone reading this has any contacts, please PM me.

Ian

ps -> and THANK YOUT HSVPhil!

I will put the word on our forum, as I am a member and we have some club members that are in their 80's and 90's :)

Touring Club Detroit History

DetroitTouringClub.jpg

As I research this subject, I am coming up short on info/contacts with The BMW Touring Club of Detroit. It would be so cool to hear some stories about the club's founding and early days. I would love to know if Vern Hanson is still around and if he can be contacted.

Reading about the club, I see they're pretty active in advriding, too. Good for them! :thumb

Tried contacting them via their web site but no answer yet. afaik, it could be in a spam bucket.

Ian

I have reached out to our longest serving members to see if we can get you in contact with them. Sadly, many are no longer with us.

Dick Hautau's BMW TCD Original MOA Club #01 Member Response

DetroitTouringClub.jpg

Reading about the club, I see they're pretty active in adv riding, too. Good for them! :thumb Tried contacting them via their web site but no answer yet. afaik, it could be in a spam bucket.

Ian

HELLO IAN:

This is BMW TCD Club #01 member Dick Hautau MOA # 70 and MOA Ambassador NO 1 responding to your request for early day information.
If you would like my reflections on the BMW MOA's early days you can reach me at my Email address of: Richardhautau@AOL.com and I will be happy to give you an accounting of the MOA's early days along in Info about our MOA 1st club President Vern Hanson. I would also point you to several articles written that have been published in the BMW MOA magazine over the years. Give me a message at the above Email address should you wish to do so.
Regards,
Dick Hautau
MOA # 70

HELLO IAN:

This is BMW TCD Club #01 member Dick Hautau MOA # 70 and MOA Ambassador NO 1 responding to your request for early day information.

Hey Dick - great to hear from you. Sue R. suggested I contact you, and I was in the process of digging through an Anonymous Book for your contact info.

We’re down in Florida with family for the holiday, you will hear from me early next week,.

Thanks in advance for helping me out… it’s been a long time since we’ve talked!

Ian

The Four Winds Rally

This article from the BMW Owners News is five years old, but details the history of of the legendary Four Winds Rally, hosted by the BMW Owners Association of Pittsburgh and the Tri-State Region, founded in the early 1960s, which also shows roots of the first national clubs' names. I believe this club is now called the 4 Winds BMW Riders

The red outline tells us that club member Tom Sheridan was actively involved in the rally and in early correspondence with the discussions that led to a national club effort. There is another name that is blocked by the red line, Jean Rihl, who was named the "spirit" of the Four Winds Rally for the hospitality she showed all the riders.

In the April 1973 issue of the BMW News, Jean's name shows up as the Secretary of the BMW MOA and then Editor of the BMW Owners Anonymous.

4Winds_BMWON-X2.png

Screen%20Shot%202021-12-02%20at%209.33.02%20AM-X3.png

Look how young everyone was!!!

i-3mgN93B-XL.jpg

i-Qw6vHTz-XL.jpg

i-cFQznBp-XL.jpg

i-TXVsjgT-XL.jpg

i-L3BD28j-XL.jpg

i-VgSwK3s.jpg

i-XJk79RD-L.jpg

i-FQk26qW-XL.jpg

These images are from the History section of the 4 Winds SmugMug site.

the schlimmerverbesserun

What? No one recognizes this? :ha

Technical information on BMW motorrad was a little hard to come by in those days, and one main reason for a national club was to share it as much as possible.

This is a great read, the writer and his content are a good potential source for any future MOA technical wiki, but schlimmerverbesserun was a somewhat taboo subject for dealers back then.

Tom Cutter knows a lot about this. :nod

What? No one recognizes this? :ha

Technical information on BMW motorrad was a little hard to come by in those days, and one main reason for a national club was to share it as much as possible.

This is a great read, the writer and his content are a good potential source for any future MOA technical wiki, but schlimmerverbesserun was a somewhat taboo subject for dealers back then.

Tom Cutter knows a lot about this. :nod

schlimmerverbesserunG

Stainless valve seats and a lighter flywheel = dropped exhaust valves and stripped input splines.

Lots of riders were left along the side of the road but BMW never acknowledged either problem.
They did cash the checks for replacement parts, though.

Oak Okelshen’s (sp?) articles were about the only source of factual information on the problems many of us R100 riders faced in the early-mid 80’s.

Last edited:
Oak Okelshen’s (sp?) articles were about the only source of factual information on the problems many of us R100 riders faced in the early-mid 80’s.

In my research for this thread I found an absolutely amazing article from the 80s that he wrote on the subject of valve recession. Even though he has passed away, his answers to common questions are published each month in Airmail. I so admire that guy.

In my research for this thread I found an absolutely amazing article from the 80s that he wrote on the subject of valve recession. Even though he has passed away, his answers to common questions are published each month in Airmail. I so admire that guy.

When BMW first had the issue of deformed valves in the 1980s they didn't know the cause, and many dealers replaced exhaust valves thinking they were the culprit. It was Oak who figured out the problem was that the seats were very poor at transferring heat from the valve heads. He told BMW.

When BMW first had the issue of deformed valves in the 1980s they didn't know the cause, and many dealers replaced exhaust valves thinking they were the culprit. It was Oak who figured out the problem was that the seats were very poor at transferring heat from the valve heads. He told BMW.

My 84 R100 is apart for this right now. :bluduh

Back