• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Stripped Bolts on a 94 R 1100 RS

weschmann

Kawa Afterthought
Purchased an old 94 RS to tinker around with. I've been lucky so far with removing bolts but luck run out. Had my first Allen head bolts round out on me tonight. I knew I'd run into this at some point. The two small Allen bolts on top of the front fender that go into the lower fork T are rusted in tight. I ended up drilling and using a extraction bit which broke the heads off to removed the fender but there are two studs still stuck in the triple tree. I've soaked them with blaster and will leave alone to soak over night and hope a channel lock pliers is enough to break lose tomorrow, but if anyone has better advice I'd appreciate your comments.

If you got the tools and skill, weld nuts onto the studs.

If you don't have the tools and the skill but you got enough thread, double nut it.

If you ain't got any of that, vice grips and small hammer. Vice grips two hands tight, small hammer and use on the handle of the vice grips gently back and forth.

If you got the tools and skill, weld nuts onto the studs.

If you don't have the tools and the skill but you got enough thread, double nut it.

If you ain't got any of that, vice grips and small hammer. Vice grips two hands tight, small hammer and use on the handle of the vice grips gently back and forth.

Yes, and add some heat gun heat.

For extra grip, take a wide rubber band and lay over the bolt head opening before sticking the allen wrench in.

Valve grinding compound

Coat the sides of the allen wrench that fit down in the recess of the bolt head, be careful to NOT get it on the tip of the tool. Use the heat gun to warm up the aluminum casting and then apply even steady pressure to remove the bolts.

Great suggestions tha to will remember for the next time. Thanks to all for the advice. I soaked them over night with blaster and put a heat gun on them this morning as I tried to losten with vice grips. Really soft metal in the llen bolts and they broke off even with the greatest of care. Ended up drilling out groom the bottom, bolt material was so sofr the drill easily drilled out. Put new bolts in with plastic sleeves to cut threads. Kind of like the plastic inserts for drywall picture hanging. Done deal and right side fork seal/dust cap installed with new fork oil. Next time I'll try the rubber band or the valve grinding compound. All in all, another mechanical mystery solved for me. Noticed front brakes are paper thin so ordered new ones for tomorrow pick up so the leaking fork did me a solid to check the brakes.

If you so casually stripped the hex and then able to drill these bolts out, they must have been very soft. Doesn't sound like the BMW OEM bolts.:bow

If you so casually stripped the hex and then able to drill these bolts out, they must have been very soft. Doesn't sound like the BMW OEM bolts.:bow

Quite possibly not. Only one owner before I picked it up a couple months ago but not sure what he did to it. Mostly Engles in Kansas Dealer serviced. I really lucked out they drilled so easily though. I would have hated to have to remove the lower fork brace to put on drill press.

Back