• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Kick Stand Extension for a 94 R 1100 RS

weschmann

Kawa Afterthought
Recently changed old 9 year old Michelin PR 3 tires on my 94 RS . Couldn’t find any Michelin 18 inch tires so went with the Metzler 888 in the 160/60 18 rear and 120/70/R17 in front. It seems these tires are taller somewhat as I have very little clearance from the ground when on center stand, where in the past the front would spin freely. No big deal I think, but find the additional quarter inch seems to really put the bike on a tilt when on the side stand. Any suggestions for a kickstand extension other than carrying a piece of wood to stick under it? Tires run great and no rubbing but I’m not completely flat footed anymore and don’t think I’ve shrunk another half inch in a couple days. 😀.

I had a different issue with the side stand on my ‘00 RS. I just wasn’t comfortable that it would support the bike on soft ground or when loaded, so I cut out a foot an welded it to the bottom of the stand. I then ground it to fit by cornering. All good now but you might consider adding a foot, for support as well as adding length to the stand. I’ve also seen folks cut the stand and add a sleeve, again welding it, to add a little length.

I added a hockey puck to the bottom of my sidestand on my 96 RT and love it. I’m not home so I don’t have a pic. I used a router to inset the foot into the top of the puck and used stainless screws to attach it. I also had to trim the outside edge so it would rest properly in the up position.

I added a hockey puck to the bottom of my sidestand on my 96 RT and love it. I’m not home so I don’t have a pic. I used a router to inset the foot into the top of the puck and used stainless screws to attach it. I also had to trim the outside edge so it would rest properly in the up position.

👍. I'll try this first.

Thanks for the direction. I don't have a welder but do have the ability to cut, tap and add bolt spacer. Excellent idea. I'll have to learn how to use the Tag Cloud on the forum as I have been using the search column but have poor results. Something new to learn.😀

Great pictorial on using the Tag Cloud here-

https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?75890-Do-you-ever-use-the-quot-Tag-Cloud-quot

Really a helpful tool as it “automatically” starts to fill while you type and allows you to see the best options.

OM

Back