• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Storing Key Fob on Motorcycle?

fldvr

I've been getting conflicting reports regarding the storage of the Key Fob on the bike while
its stored in the garage. Is there an issue with the Fobs battery going dead from this?

It didn't seem right to me that it doesn't time out and go into sleep mode and reactivate with pressing the ignition On/Off
button.

Welcome to the forum.
I would guess there is no signal going back and forth until you press the start button.

Still, I think it's a bad idea to store the key on the bike because of the risk of theft.
Around here we don't worry much about theft but I never leave the key in the ignition of our cars.

Even though it's very unlikely to happen, whenever I go on trips both FOBs get locked in the safe and the bikes front end gets locked just in case someone breaks into the house. I'd never leave the FOBs with the bike, even in the garage.

I've been getting conflicting reports regarding the storage of the Key Fob on the bike while
its stored in the garage. Is there an issue with the Fobs battery going dead from this?

It didn't seem right to me that it doesn't time out and go into sleep mode and reactivate with pressing the ignition On/Off
button.

To answer your specific question: no, the key fob does not activate the ignition without your action--turning the key on.

To the other posters who are worried about a stolen bike: I leave my keys in my cars and on my bike, but only when they are inside the garage which is attached to my home. If I park a car or a bike on the street or in a parking garage or anywhere the general public can get to the vehicle, I always take the key/fob with me.

Thanks for the replies! When I leave the house the Fob is in my pocket. In the garage I want to leave it in
the little tank compartment otherwise at my age there is no telling where it might end up!

As far as someone taking it from the garage I hope they find it easier than I do, I'm starting to feel like a motorcycle
hoarder and I got rid of a bunch already:)

I always keep my key fob in my riding jacket, I always wear my jacket when riding and hang it in a closet when not riding :)

On my '11 Concours the manual warned about leaving the key near the bike as it would drain the fob battery. I do not remember reading any such warning in my RT manual.
BMW salesman told me the same thing when I bought my 2023 RT, he learned from experience.

I think the key fob has to be within 1 meter of the bike to be able to communicate with the onboard antenna. I have keyless ignition and have my fob on my work bench, maybe 2 meters (6') away. If I push the ignition button I get a red light, meaning no communication.

I think the key fob has to be within 1 meter of the bike to be able to communicate with the onboard antenna. I have keyless ignition and have my fob on my work bench, maybe 2 meters (6') away. If I push the ignition button I get a red light, meaning no communication.
Technically, the red light means that the bike is unable to accurately read the key, not that there is "no signal found"...

The only way to really know if the fob changes it's battery use according to distance is to monitor the battery usage starting from a large distance and walking towards the bike, and see if usage changes, and then away to see when it actually ignores the bike. Then do the same with the bike - measure battery drain as someone walks away and back with the key.

Ah! Another necro thread gets new life. Being an old guy, I like necro stuff that gets a new start...:)

I have two FOBs. One stays in the house unless I'm riding. The second one is stored on the bike WITHOUT the battery in it, rather, the battery is individually wrapped to keep it dry and also stashed on the bike - but not in the same location as the FOB. I also carry the plastic key in my wallet. Every year both FOBs get new batteries and the spare battery hidden on the bike is replaced.

I have one fob for each BMW with button start. I store it at least 6ft away while bike is in garage, or shed, etc. I duct tape the emergency key somewhere on the bike. Typically hard to find so I keep a one note file on each bike and note the storage location. At the beginning of a trip, when I might not have seen the bike for up to a year, I review the one note file, and note the location of the emergency key. I carry a spare 2032 battery for each bike in the tank bag, although that 50% battery warning error gives you forever to replace it

snow_reaeEndReset_sep2021.jpg

Back