• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Sticky front brakes - 2000 R1100RS

mhallman

So I got new tires put on my bike and decided to replace the brakes while I was at it. I installed EBC FA407HH Sintered brakes. After installing and pumping the brakes to get the pads on the rotor, I took the bike out for a short ride to make sure everything was good. I noticed that the front wheel doesn't spin very easily when on the center stand. If I give it a good spin with my hand, the wheel only goes about 3/4 of a turn. Couple questions: 1) Is this a significant issue? 2) Will this resolve after riding a bit? 3) How do I fix it if I need to?

One other question... I was using the Oilhead Maintenance Manual by Internet BMW Riders and Oilhead Riders and the article said to use EBC FA246 pads. Everything online said to use the 407 pads. Curious as to the discrepency.

Thanks in advance for the help.

So I got new tires put on my bike and decided to replace the brakes while I was at it. I installed EBC FA407HH Sintered brakes. After installing and pumping the brakes to get the pads on the rotor, I took the bike out for a short ride to make sure everything was good. I noticed that the front wheel doesn't spin very easily when on the center stand. If I give it a good spin with my hand, the wheel only goes about 3/4 of a turn. Couple questions: 1) Is this a significant issue? 2) Will this resolve after riding a bit? 3) How do I fix it if I need to?

One other question... I was using the Oilhead Maintenance Manual by Internet BMW Riders and Oilhead Riders and the article said to use EBC FA246 pads. Everything online said to use the 407 pads. Curious as to the discrepency.

Ride 100 miles and then see what happens. The pads may be just a hair too thick. If after that ride it still seems snug then worry.

So I got new tires put on my bike and decided to replace the brakes while I was at it. ............

I don't know why, but the EBC FA407 and FA246 are the same pads. Don't worry about it.

After a ride or two and it still drags, check for too much fluid in resevoir as well as considering SS brake line upgrades. If you still have rubber lines on your 1100, it's a ticking blockage for fluid candidate.

You're right with the rubber lines. Had the back one give out a while ago. Put a set of Spiegler's on a couple weeks ago. Will take some fluid out and see if that helps. I took some out before pushing the pistons in but easily could have left too much.

Back