• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Spline Lube for 1983 R100 RS

I assume you're asking about the transmission input splines.

Here you go...

http://bmwmotorcycletech.info/inputsplinesthrowout.htm

Starts about 1/3 of the way down the page. It's a way to do it without removing the transmission but it's not all that much more work to remove the trans and check out a few other things while you're in there.

Snowbum's site is a wealth of info on all things airhead, and more. He gets a little (ahem...) verbose at times but lots of good stuff there.

Not written but Chris Harris on you tube is a good source for visual instruction. Watched him a couple times and gave my 88 r100 a spline lube no problem. There's others also on. Links and resources on this forum is also very good resource.

I will second the suggestion for watching Chris Harris' videos. They are informative, you just have to overlook the coarse language. An embed is given of the first of his series of videos related to this topic.

There are some other factors that you may wish to consider -

What is the level of your mechanical experience? Has the transmission ever been removed? (It might be worthwhile to give all of the clutch parts a thorough inspection while you have access). What about doing a cleaning, inspection, and lubrication of the clutch throw-out assembly? Has the air box / starter area been cleaned? (I took half a day once just to clean the bugs and crud from this area - your tolerance for such may be different from mine.) How about cleaning the mufflers and carbs? (You will have easy access at this time). Do you want to clean and lubricate the swing arm bearings?

Of course, I usually remove the clutch and flywheel and replace the oil-pump o-ring and rear main oil seal at this point as well. (This may depend on when the last time they were replaced, evidence of leakage, your particular level of risk acceptance [of future failure], etc. [YMMV as they say]). I have been able to stretch a job like this into several years or could do everything in a weekend depending on my motivation, availability of parts, other things found (or broken as part of the "learning experience").

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/uVKPGcf0xag" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:
Thanks for the info

I used to be more fearless, mechanically speaking, than I am now but these are good sources of info. Thanks.

The Chris Harris video series is very good to follow and much easier to follow than Snowbum's. ;-)

One area where I might disagree with Harris is on replacing the four drive-shaft bolts. A friend of mine has been considered the top BMW motorcycle mechanic in this region for over 40 years and doesn't replace them. He had his own BMW/Triumph/Honda and later Yamaha Dealership in the 60's, 70's & 80's. Now just wrenches when he feels like it. If his 40+ years of experience wrenching and riding airheads has shown that replacement isn't necessary who am I to argue?

At 75 he still does 2,000 mile Airhead trips (we've got one planned to the BMWMOA Rally this year) and just this evening, at the age of 75 told me he thinks he's got one more Tran-Continental ride left in him that he'd like to do. Gotta love it!

Regarding whether to remove the tranny or not, I think it is likely a must for anyone who hasn't done it at least a few times before.

The real issue isn't - the work. It is not a huge difference either way, perhaps 10-20% longer. There is more to do to remove it, but everything else goes quicker once that is done.

The real issue is - the precision. If you push some of the old lube/gunk on the female spline material back into the system it can get loose and splatter, if you put too much on the input shaft splines it will definitely fling loose and then you've lost your clutch and that's another a big expense and much more work. To my mind definitely not worth the very real risk until one has done a few and gotten a good feel for it. YMMV, but that's what my senses tell me.

Back