• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Spark Plug Wires

88bmwjeff

SF Bay Area
Let's talk spark plug wires. What are people using and where are people buying spark plug wires. OEM is about $65 each, which is a bit pricy. In my refurbishment I've been doing, the brass end at the coil got stuck in the coil and got damaged during the removal and should be replaced. However, BWM no longer sells (According to Bob's BMW website) the brass ends to repair the wire. Euromoto Electric is out of the plug wires for electronic ignition (they have plug wires for point ignition systems). So, where can I get some plug wires that won't break the bank. If I have too, I will order an OEM set.

NAPA will have metal-core wire that they sell in bulk. These are the coil-end terminals, that will need soldering to the metal wire:

i-NkcHK6d-M.jpg

The part number is important there, as I think it's the Belden part number. Try to find the oldest guy at the counter, the one who doesn't start with "What's the VIN?" when buying bulk wire and these bits. IIRC, the wire was $1/foot and the terminals were 25 cents each just a couple years ago.

You can probably reuse the bit at the plug end of the wire. Hold the wire firmly and twist the connection off the wire. There's usually a threaded stud to engage the wire on that piece.

Here's the last one I made:

i-wKgvDQm-M.jpg

That was all new bits. The rubber boots were sold separately and they were surprisingly expensive. Particularly so on that bike, which is dual-plugged. :)

There's a bit of 7mm fuel hose over the wire to protect it where it emerges from under the tank.

I replaced them in August 2004 and have put on ±16,000 miles. I'm probably due for a new set anyway. FYI, they're OEM.

Yeah, I would do the set.....The best you can find. Age is a problem in the shielding and rather hard to diagnose when they are goin' south. I find they get sorta crispy and the resistance changes, usually gradually, to the point of troubleshooting a problem leads one astray when it was old or damaged wires. I like to use a little dielectric grease to keep the caps movable and pliable- some don't.
Messing with a wire on a lawnmower- sure. Transportation, not so much.
Good luck.
OM

Next question. I see that there are 1k Ohm and 5k Ohm, and there are some at zero Ohm. For a monoshock (1988 R100 RT) with electronic ignition, what should I be looking for?

Edit: I just read Snowbum's site (probably should have gone there first). 5k Ohm plug cap/wires is what is correct for my bike.

I just ordered plugs and ignition wires from EuroMoto Electric. <$30 for a pair of Enduralast wires and <$4 each for Bosch WR6DCs.
Paid for Parcel Post delivery - 6-9 days.
Package was delivered less than 24 hours later.
EME is a class A parts supplier.

I just ordered plugs and ignition wires from EuroMoto Electric. <$30 for a pair of Enduralast wires and <$4 each for Bosch WR6DCs.
Paid for Parcel Post delivery - 6-9 days.
Package was delivered less than 24 hours later.
EME is a class A parts supplier.

I've been happy with EME and I've ordered a lot parts over the past six months. However, the proper wire set for my bike is currently out of stock.

Last edited:
Back