• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Solstice Dualsport Ride

flash412

Loose Cannon
Solstice Dualsport Faucet Ride

The Solstice Dualsport Ride - June 24-25, 2006
Copyright 2006
- Flash#412

So my pal Shank and some guys who will remain nameless were supposed to go on a ride. I was invited. I had a discussion about this ride with some fellows who live further south from where I live. A couple of them said they wanted to go. Then one said he was probably coming. Then he didn't come onna counta fam damnly stuff. The local guys decided getting their hair done or some such crap was more important than a motorcycle ride. So they didn't come either.

Shank and I went on a ride on Saturday and came back Sunday. Things didn't turn out the way we had planned and we had more adventure than we wanted. But nothing (much) got bent or broken. And other than being sore as hell and having my bike brand me at its bitch for life, I don't think we had any injuries worthy of more than a kiss from a loved one.

Shank was originally gonna spend Friday night at my place so we could get off to an early start. Wingnuttery being his middle name, he later asked what time he should arrive in the morning. I figured we should leave at 8:00, so I told him 7:30. He showed up a little after 8.

It seems that there was some sort of bicycle race in Loveland that closed nearly all the streets running east-west and thwarted his Grand Plan to arrive fifteen minutes early. At some juncture he realized that, "If dey was two cops at dat intersection ovah dey an two mo' at dat light ovah dey, den dats ALL the cops in Loveland!" So he ducked into a neighborhood and came out between the lights and crossed the blockage.

Suited up, we left at the crack of 8:15. I was astride "Jabu," outfitted for dirt with all the pre-broken and pre-scratched parts, and my Pelican cases. And I was wearing dual sprot gear, cuz we was going dual-sprotin'!

Ready2Go_0002.JPG

We went up the curvy-pavement Rist Canyon over Buckhorn pass and down into Stove Prairie.

Top of Buckhorn Pass
Buckhorn_0003.JPG

Then we headed over to Pennock Pass, which is dirt.
Pennock_0004.JPG

Pennock_0008.JPG

We came out in Poudre Canyon and ripped it up over Cameron Pass, which is pavement.
Cameron_0011.JPG

We took the (dirt) Gould to Rand cutoff. I stopped to take a photo of an xmas tree.
XmasTree_0015.JPG

Then after a couple of miles of pavement, we took the dirt Rand to CO-14 cutoff. A couple miles up the road was Coalmont. A road leaves Coalmont and heads for Buffalo Pass, which is dirt. I stopped and took a picture of a train in some guy's yard.

At the bottom of the road up Buffalo Pass was a sign that said, ~"Buffalo Pass 13 mi. Steamboat Springs 23 mi." We stopped for lunch. It was not quite noon. I said, "We'll be in Steamboat by two and at Elk Springs by four."

Our plan was to get off of US-40 at Elk Springs and take some nasty dirt road that Shank and Nate and Dinskeep had taken on their way OUT last year. We would go to some swell campground in Dinosaur National Monument. But, it had taken them about four and a half hours, stopping to shoot photos along the way. June 24th is three days after the longest day of the year, so we should have plenty of daylight.

We mounted up after lunch and up we went. About eight miles later... there was a gate across the road. As if by magic the gate opened up and we found ourselves on the other side of it.

Gate_0019.JPG

Up and up we went. I took a photo at the snowline.

Snowline_0020.JPG

Then, there was a snowdrift across the road. I rode over it. Then there was another, higher, longer one. I went for it... and got stuck. Shank took a picture.

As we were considering our options, a fellow on a KLR650 who went by while we were eating lunch came DOWN the hill to where we were. He stopped and asked if we needed help. Shank and I lifted on the bags and he pushed on the front and we extracted the bike from the snowbank.

He asked us how if we had taken road 615 around the barrier and come out on the road like he had. Of COURSE we had. We asked him how he got above the snowbank and he said he had just ridden around. I'm telling you, a nekkid KLR might have made it just as quick as you please but there was no way a lumbering F650 with 150 pounds of luggage was going to leap up that hill.

Anyway, the fellow said that up higher it got a lot worse, that there was a snowbank twice as high and maybe 30 yards long covering the road. MAYBE with a couple of shovels and a couple of hours, the way could be cleared. But then... what came after that was anybody's guess.

So after looking at a map, we determined that either we were gonna hafta go all the way around on pavement or else take a county road number 1 that looked like it MIGHT go through.

Back out of the national forest, we found road 1. It had a big NO OUTLET sign. Ah, crap. While we were allowing as how, a pickup came out from there. I asked the occupants if it was really a dead end or if it would actually go through. They said no way. So did another truck that came out while we were figurin'. But hell, if I lived there, I would not want all sorts of yahoos coming down my road, either. Would you?

But we were rapidly running out of time. So rather than take another possible dead end, we opted for the highway. Muddy Pass is pretty lame, at the corner of US-40 and CO-14 at the foot of Rabbit Ears Pass.

Rabbit ears gains some serious altitude. But it is like going over a pass on the interstate, with a runaway truck ramp and such. Down we went into Steamboat. Gassed up and beat feet west. 75 miles later, we stopped in Maybell to top up and have a personal relief break. 22 miles later was the steaming metropolis of Elk Springs. The overstuffed chair next to the non-working pay phone had been removed since Shank's last visit.
ElkSpgs_0023.JPG

At 5:30 PM, the tires were aired down and we were ready to go. Some map eye-balling indicated it would be about 35 miles to the campground. Piece of cake, right?

I suggested that Shank lead for a bunch of reasons. First I am faster than him and by following him, I would not have to worry where he was. Second, I had goggles and he was wearing a street helmet and sunglasses. I knew if he followed, eating my dust would quickly make it impossible for him to see. Third, he'd been this way before and might have a half a clue where we were going, which was half a clue more than I had.

About two miles in, we hit our first deep sand. I hate riding a fully loaded touring bike in deep sand even if it has TKC80s. Shank went a lot slower than I would have. I would have been going twice as fast every time we hit deep sand and probably gotten good and messed up. At about 8 PM, we had gone about 40 miles to a place called "the Bench." It was about a two mile long stretch of sand about a foot deep. Shank fell off. He got up. While he was catching his breath, a fellow in a 4wd truck came along and told us that the campground was only a few more miles. Then he left.

Shank started after him. Because the sun was so low and my goggles were dusty, I had to let him get way out of sight and let the dust settle before I went, otherwise, I was staring into a white sheet of paper for all I could see. I took off. The bike started to handle really well. Then I got out of the sand and onto the pavement. The bike was making a funny noise. I stopped. Flat tire.

I started going again. Heck as hard as it is to remove the rear tire on an F650 and as slow as I was going, I figured it would not be any problem. I waggle my way down the road, across a water crossing and down the road some more, about another mile and a half or two miles. Then, I saw an old log cabin with a clear spot where it looked that we could camp if necessary. It was 8:15 PM and the sun was VERY low. I decided to stop and wait for Shank to return. I figured that he would KNOW how far it was to the real campsite. If it was more than two more miles or if there were rocks, I was not gonna destroy my tire. I was gonna stay HERE.
Camp_Here_0026.JPG

We had come 44 miles since 5:30.

Last edited:
Part 2 of 3

(continued)

I dismounted and started changing the lens in my goggles from the heavily tinted one to the clear one, figuring that if I was going to ride any further, I would need to be able to see where I was going. We were in the gloaming.

Within a few minutes, Shank reappeared. He had made it to the campground, filled up his water bottle, swatted mosquitoes and waited long enough that he figured (correctly) that he should come back after me. I asked him, "How far?" He said it was about a mile and a half or two miles. I said, "If that is REALLY all it is, then I can make it, unless you think it would be better to camp here. What is the road like?" He said, "We'll camp here." I protested a bit and he insisted that here was better because there were fewer mosquitos. (And there were PLENTY here.)

We unloaded my bike and carried my crap up to the cabin and then I relocated it. We pitched our tents but did not dare open them. As we sat talking in under the darkening, moonless, stary sky, every now and then a breeze would blow up and for a moment we would have a brief respite from the tiny piranas. Eventually, it was full dark and the stars started coming out in earnest. Even though the beer was pretty warm, it was quite refreshing and really hit the spot. So we each had another.

Finally, the heat of the day was gone. The mosquitos were gone. The adrenaline had worn off. The beer had kicked in. And my wristwatch said it was 11:30. We bid good night and each entered our own home away from home for a well deserved rest.

A bit of a wind blew up during the night. I rolled over and went back to sleep. At pre-dawn, I woke up again feeling a bit chilly and zipped my sleeping bag and the rear window of my tent. The next thing I knew, I was quite warm and there was full daylight on my tent. Quite a nice evening's rest.

NoCampingHere_0028.JPG

After a couple of canned, double-shot Starbucks espressos that Shank had so thoughtfully brought, I stuffed my sleeping bag and took down my tent immediately because I wanted to use the ground cloth for the tire change. While I busied myself with the wheel removal, Shank worked on striking his camp as well.

NotHereEither_0029.JPG

No problem breaking the bead as it was already done. Levering the bead off the rim no problem. Ru-Glyde is my friend. Sure enough, the valve stem was torn clear out of the tube. That was ok, since I had a spare. Further inspection revealed that the rim band had been stripped from the wheel, so complete removal of the tire was required. Again, short work. We reapplied a rim strip of electrical tape, mounted the tire and a brand new, heavy duty, King Tire inner tube. As the electric pump was merrily inflating the tire to seat the bead, a ranger pulled up.

We had a brief discussion about camping, where you can and can't and when and emergencies and such. She was nice. She asked if we were ok. Shank told her he had hurt his thumb. I asked her if she was going to kiss it and make it better. She said, "No, I am not qualified for that." I asked her if she was an EMT. She said she was, "But I had my training two years ago and they didn't teach us that back then."

About that time, I checked the pressure and it was over 40 psi. So I removed the valve core to let the tube "settle" inside the tire. The anger looked surprised at the rush of air coming out of the tire. Shank xplained what the deal was. She told us where the nearest emergency radio was and bid us adieu.

Once the wheel was back on the bike and our crap was all packed up, Shank realized that he had made a Mistake. After filling his water bottle at the campground the previous evening, he had ridden back with his topcase unlocked. Somewhere along the mile and a half way, three water crossings, washboard and a short stretch of sand, apparently his radar detector had jumped ship. He was unhappy. I suggested that he go look for it. He figured that with two vehicles in and two out since he had come out, if it was on the road, it'd be flat. But, "Ya just don't know if ya don't go look."

About five minutes later, he returned with a big thumbs up. He had found it in its zippered case laying in a wheel rut, uncrushed. When he picked it up and unzipped the case, he accidentally hit the on switch and it started chirping at him. Things are looking up! (For now.)

The ranger had said that it was about eleven miles to the pavement going the short way. After she left, I commented that it was ten o'clock. We should reach the highway by noon. Little did I know.

About ten miles from our old homestead, on a switchback uphill, the bike uddenly felt funny. I looked down. Another flat. I looked up... SHADE! pulled forward into the shade of a small tree and set about getting he tools out of the tank bag for removing the wheel, again.

The bike was facing uphill. Even with all my stuff on it, the front wheel was on the ground. I sat behind the bike and put a wrench on the axle nut. When I pulled the wrench, the bike moved forward slightly. (I should have put a rock in front of the front tire.) When it did, I dropped the wrench and reached with my right hand to pull the bike back while my left hand went UP to get a higher purchase in case I needed to keep it from tipping over, planing my forearm squarely on the end of the muffler. Owie. At least the bike didn't tump over and roll ass over teakettle down the side of the mountain. After a few minutes, Shank returned.

I figured that either I had managed to leave some crud in the tire that punctured the tube, or else maybe I had pinched it, but not quite bad enough to not hold air at the start. Ru-Glyde is my friend. Extracting the tube was a royal pain. Shank asked, "Did you let the air out?" "No, it let itself out." Once the tube was out, we realized it was still holding some air. WTF?

The little electric pump I won at an F650 rally called the Jailbreak worked great (again). The tube blew up just fine, real big, too. Some spit verified that the valve core was not leaking. The only thing we could figure was that a piece of crud got into the core on the original re-fill and now it was gone. Reinstall tube, re-lever tire, reinflate. Ru-Glyde is my friend.

Out there in the stillness of the desert, in the bright sunshine, a leaking tire makes a lot of ugly noise.

Breaking the bead on a tire for the third time in a day is easy, even on the rear wheel of an F650. Ru-Glyde is my friend. This time, I pulled the valve core before removing the tube. As I was working, we discussed theories on what might be going on. One theory I had was that I had removed the valve stem nut to use on the outside of the rim and maybe this was one of those two-nut tubes. Once the tube was out, it was clear that this was a two-nut tube, because it did indeed have two nuts. The one on the inside was loose, VERY loose. Ah crap. It took about five turns before it got tight. Reinflating the tube outside the tire again gave no indication of leak. Reinstall tube, re-lever tire, reinflate. Ru-Glyde is my friend.

Out there in the stillness of the desert, in the bright sunshine, a leaking tire for the third time in a day makes a lot of REALLY ugly noise.

Shank had a spare tube. We installed it. (Ru-Glyde is my friend.) It held air. The highway was a half mile up the road around a couple of bends.

WayOut_0030.JPG

We aired up the tires for the highway blast home. (Fifth time today that my rear tire got air!). We put our earplugs in and mounted our radar detectors. I looked at my watch... noon.

Ripping across Utah is always enjoyable. Before long, we came to a sign welcoming us back to Colorado. We gassed up in Craig. The pump tricked me into buying the mid-grade gas (and paying ten cents more per gallon). They put grade stickers above the "start" buttons but offset by one. I didn't notice this deliberate bait and switch scheme until I was already pumping.

Running the higher priced stuff is the only reason I can think of that my bike would not pull fifth gear over Rabbit Ears Pass. My 15/49 would pull fourth with no problem, all the way up to redline. But when I shifted to fifth, the bike started missing and coughing. Once down on the flat between Muddy Pass and Walden, it pulled fifth just fine. Gas that is any octane above the lowest available just plain sucks in the Rotax motor.

We ripped across the high alpine meadow into Walden where we took a break nd ate sammiches left over from dinner. We left there at about four p.m. to go back over Cameron Pass and down the Poudre Canyon. I generally hate going down the Canyon at four on a Sunday because of all the yahoos poking along. But I guess between the fact that it had rained pretty hard during the night there and the fact that the Greeley Stampede (nearby "big deal" rodeo) was this weekend, traffic was surprisingly light.

We took the turnoff just before the tunnel and had a spirited ride for eight miles up the hill to Stove Prairie where we stopped and said our goodbyes. We agreed that it had certainly been an adventure.

Last edited:
Part 3 of 3

(continued)

Shank took off through Buckhorn Canyon and I turned to go over Buckhorn Pass and down Rist Canyon. After turning in Belleview, I was zipping along Horsetooth Reservoir when my trusty radar detector "brapped." I slowed. Around the bend, up ahead on one of the dams, a sheriff was just finishing up giving a ticket to a gal on a Hardly. He pulled out as I approached. I fell in behind him. Apparently my speedometer is off by 20 mph. I mean, here I was following an officer of the law on a road posted 35. His lights were not flashing and MY speedo said I was going 55. The ONLY conclusion I can draw is that my speedo must be reading 20 mph fast, RIGHT? (Do you think maybe that will work in court? I wrote down the car number, the date & time, road and direction.)

I followed the nice officer about six miles, to the end of my street. And then I was home. Nothing like a COLD beer at the end of an adventure.

- Flash
(More photos maybe inserted after Shank shares 'em.)

Addendum...
This has not been a particularly good year for my left forearm when it comes to offroad riding. Fell of a KTM in Costa Rica in February for six stiches and now... branded for life by my bike, Jabu.

Branded_0032.JPG

Kewl
Nice report. Couple of dots above the burn mark and you would have a smiley face. :blah

Man, I *really* enjoyed your story and pics.

I think you had more flats in one ride than I've had in 10 years. What pressure were you running your tires, flash?

Thanks for the "friendly" tip about RuGLYDE.... so what do you do... carry some of this stuff in a bottle? Is this available at auto parts stores?... I searched NAPA and couldn't find it.

Having a tube-tire bike myself, and riding it out in the middle of nowhere like you do, I also ride prepared for tire problems. It's actually fairly easy to work on the Gripsters or TKCs, but it could always be easier... so I'd like to buy some of this stuff.

Thanks again for the great report. It would be great to share this will all the print users in the club.

Ian

Visian said:
Man, I *really* enjoyed your story and pics. I think you had more flats in one ride than I've had in 10 years. What pressure were you running your tires, flash?
Thank you for sharing your appreciation. IIRC, I have had four flats on the road during my first 35 years of riding. Doubled it that weekend. I aired the front down to about 24 and the rear to 28. But the tires were hot at the time. No rim locks. Didn't expect DEEP sand.
Thanks for the "friendly" tip about RuGLYDE.... so what do you do... carry some of this stuff in a bottle? Is this available at auto parts stores?... I searched NAPA and couldn't find it.
I bought a gallon at NAPA (or mebbe CarQuest?) for about $12. I carry a four ounce (or so) in a recycled contact lens solution squirt bottle with me when I tour. I've shared LOTS of it with friends over the years. To find a tire mounting lubricant in your area, call or visit any place that mounts car and truck tires. They may even fill a small container for you for free if you're buying tires for your car or truck at the time. Anyway, ask them what they use and where they get it. Tire mounting lubricant sure makes the job easy. Follow the professionals.
Thanks again for the great report. It would be great to share this will all the print users in the club.
If whoever is responsible for printing it wants to contact me, I'm amenable to that, with a few conditions.

Back