• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Snowflake wheels: design fail?

tyro

I just had my first run-in with the rear wheel on my '84 R80RT. I can't believe how close the valve stem hole is placed to one of the wheel struts and how little clearance there is for an air pump head. I'm used to using a good quality stand-up bicycle pump, but the head on that won't approach the valve stem on the rear wheel (it just clears on the front wheel). I had to resort to a collapsible little pump from my bicycle, which is a pretty slow way to restore pressure. Have others solved this differently? I wasn't planning to buy a compressor. I like to keep things simple.

Also, the rubber gasket that seals the BMW's under-the-seat pump to the valve stem is shot. Do they sell new ones anywhere? If I can get a new gasket for that original pump, it will probably work.

What front/rear tire pressures do you favor? Two experienced BMW riders have both told me the recommended pressures are too low. One says he rides solo at 35 psi in front and 38 psi rear. -Thanks!

For pump up my tires, I use one of those battery powered ones with the 90 degree head. For the under seat pump, call Rusty at Max BMW, he may have a solution for you. New ones are available, but with more plastic parts. The tires are better today than they were 30 years ago, thus tire pressures should be raised. I ran 34-36 front and 38 rear in my now sold 78 RS.

Check Section #13 on Snowbum's site:

http://bmwmotorcycletech.info/section5.htm

There is a 90-degree extension from BMW - 71-11-1-239-258 - I suppose the issue is the strain it puts on the existing valve stem, plus possibly the need to rebalance the wheel if you plan on leaving it in place all the time.

Well, that'll keep me busy for for awhile...

@Toooldtocare, I will check Snowbum's site re the 90-degree adapter. Thanks.

@Admin, thanks for the links link. I had not Found that yet. I'll be reading for awhile. I saw a British link there that wouldn't open on my phone, about a standing recall for the (19") front snowflake wheel. Does anyone know about that?

I have snowflakes, and have not had a problem getting a standard 90 deg. air filler in onto the valve stem, though it is close. Wish they had thought that one through better.

Oops!

Don't ever criticize any German engineering -- esp. it the object has the insignia "BWW" on it. That would be sacrilegious!

Slow day, apparently. So little to complain about.

Had snowflake-equipped bikes for 30 and never had a "failure" due to valve stem hole placement. Never much inconvenience, either.

BMW Gauge Won't Fit Either

I bought a BMW digital tire gauge, but the stems on my '83 R65 are too close to the spokes for it to seal and get a reading.

getting air in

Slow day, apparently. So little to complain about.

Had snowflake-equipped bikes for 30 and never had a "failure" due to valve stem hole placement. Never much inconvenience, either.

The only failure I meant to imply was the difficulty in getting air into the tire by conventional means, at home or by the side of the road. Once I get the original pump fixed, things will improve. For now, I do find it inconvenient. Chris, what's your method of maintaining tire pressure? Do you have a compressor? Manual pump? Use a gas station pump?

That's it

I bought a BMW digital tire gauge, but the stems on my '83 R65 are too close to the spokes for it to seal and get a reading.

That's the kind of thing I'm talking about. I understand that not all tools can be made compatible with all wheels, etc., but sometimes, I have to scratch my head and bite my tongue because it seems something was not thought through all the way.

Back