• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Small issues with new old R75/6

flairhead

Greetings from a new member in the Rocky Mountains...

I'm an experienced rider and have been looking for the right airhead for about four years. I just purchased a 1975 R75/6 which appears to be in very good shape. The seller had a partial service history going back 8 years through his ownership but no further. It had a top-end job back when he bought it, rings-only I think, nothing in the receipt about valve work.

BMW_R75_left.jpg

He serviced it regularly, but hardly rode it, putting only 1800 miles on it during the 8 years he had it (according to the mileage on the service receipts). Last year he had electronic ignition installed... Boyer. Odometer says only 16K miles, but who can say for sure, it could have clicked over past 100K. It's possible the mileage *may* be accurate: the bike seems to be in excellent condition generally: all hoses look new, cables relatively new, wiring looks decent, fasteners look clean and undamaged, fluids appear fresh, no leaking anywhere, no odd noises, no smoky exhaust, new battery, no sign of past battery leakage, no problems starting, no hesitation or sputtering, acceleration decent, front brake good, rear brake merely a suggestion. The tank/fender/panel paint looks very good but is not original; was done more than 8 years ago; the paint on the frame appears original with very little signs of rust. I've put 300 miles on it in the few days I've had it (more than the PO did in the last 3 years) with no major issues so far. I'm quite pleased.

As nice as the bike is, I am experiencing a couple of minor issues:

1) The tachometer is wonky... jumpy. The seller disclosed this. Now (as of about 20 miles back), broken. On my last ride it began fluctuating wildly, the needle broke off, and it began howling. I pulled over and disconnected the tach cable at the instrument end. From my reading it seems the tachometers on these /6 bikes are a common problem. Suggestions? Can I rebuild it? Is a new cable likely to fix the underlying jumpiness problem?

2) The ignition key will not switch the engine off, it just keeps running... must use the kill switch to stop the engine. It didn't do this during the first 100 miles; switching the key off would kill the engine. This isn't a huge problem... I can keep using the kill switch, but I'm wondering if there is a more serious underlying issue? Bad diode board? Something else? Ideas?

Welcome to the forum! You can get a general idea of the number of miles by looking at the footpegs. They could have been changed, but I don't hear of that often. So, if over 100K miles, they should look well worn.

As for the tach, too bad you didn't disconnect the cable before it broke the needle. A new cable could make things better...it's an easy first step. What could have been happening is that the wire-wound cable was unraveling, and one of the ends was catching-releasing-catching-etc on each revolution resulting in the jumpiness. You might be able to get inside the housing and get the needle back into position, but it might have created more serious issues. Check the link in my signature line for a section on speedometers. There are some DIY links as well as various commercial outfits that will overhaul speedometers.

I presume the issue with the engine not turning off came with the bike. In researching this, I read where some aftermarket starter relays might not have the correct internal diodes and this could be a problem with it not wanting to turn off. Check the maintenance records or ask if the starter relay was ever changed.

Welcome to the forum! You can get a general idea of the number of miles by looking at the footpegs. They could have been changed, but I don't hear of that often. So, if over 100K miles, they should look well worn.

As for the tach, too bad you didn't disconnect the cable before it broke the needle.

Sigh... yeah. It had been just irritatingly jumpy before, then got wild and noisy. Within a minute the needle had broken.

Good suggestion re. the pegs. They look quite good, so maybe it's a true low-miler.

In researching this, I read where some aftermarket starter relays might not have the correct internal diodes and this could be a problem with it not wanting to turn off. Check the maintenance records or ask if the starter relay was ever changed.

Thanks for the suggestions. There's nothing in the maintenance receipts about any starter-related work... at least not for the past 8 years worth of available records. The previous owner doesn't know anything about motorcycle mechanics and did not understand much about the work he had done to the bike; he simply used a trusted mechanic for everything. I'll have to give the starter relay a check myself... Thanks!

When you turn the key to the off position, do the lights, turn signals, horn.......still work???.............If not, then yes, for sure, most likely something wonky with the starter relay keeping "Hot" to the ignition..............

Most of us that have those older slashes.............especially the /6 have that tach problem.......yes, it's to bad that you didn't pull it off when it first started jumping around......The cure is..........find a spare tach unit itself and swap it out.......OR........send it off to one of the "services" and have them rebuild the whole unit......tach/speedo/electric..........when one goes into the works, there are a lot of electrical connectors in there that are really pretty flimsy and tear up quite easily. Let the experts do it and then never have to worry about it again........God bless......Dennis

When you turn the key to the off position, do the lights, turn signals, horn.......still work???.............If not, then yes, for sure, most likely something wonky with the starter relay keeping "Hot" to the ignition..............

Well instrument panel light (eg Neutral light) was still on, but somewhat weakly. I went out to double-check the rest of the symptoms, but cannot recreate the problem now!... for the first time in a couple of days. So what had been a consistent issue now seems to have morphed into an intermittent electrical issue. Grrr. I'll have to keep an eye out and see if anything changes over time. This is the only electrical issue I've seen thus far...

Check all your grounds

Yup! Go through check your connections but make darn sure all your grounds are good-N-tight. Take the poorly thought out main ground (speedo cable bolt) and put a longer cable on it and run it to a transmission stud.

I've had both problems. As to the tach, try Overseas Speedometer. There are a couple of places that do this work, but I had good luck with them. I would not send it to someone who does this work in their spare time at home.

The kill switch problem is a relay. It took me an hour or more and a pencil going over the wiring diagram to figure out which one. Sorry, I don't remember which. Edit: IIRC mine wouldn't shut off with either the switch or the key, so you may have another issue.

Nice looking bike!
It appears to be from 1974...perforated front disk.

I've got the same model and had problems with the speedo at around the 100,000 mile mark. While your speedo problem does seem to have been caused by a frayed cable as Kurt suggested, mine was simply wear and tear in the speedo. The speedo started jumping all over the place and the odometer actually started running backwards. My solution was replacement with a used low mileage unit...still working good after 30 some years.
Unfortunately for you, with a broken pointer, you will also need to replace or repair your speedo (strongly recommend a pro shop for this).
There are 2 or 3 shops that specialize in beemer speedo repair that advertise in the Owners News each month. You might want to contact each one to see if they have rebuilt units on the shelf which should greatly reduce turn around time.

As for the ignition switch not working....be sure to check all wire connections at the switch itself.

Nice looking bike!

I've got the same model and had problems with the speedo at around the 100,000 mile mark. While your speedo problem does seem to have been caused by a frayed cable as Kurt suggested, mine was simply wear and tear in the speedo.

Thanks!

Just to clarify: the speedometer and odometer are okay on my bike (although the speedo seems to consistently overestimate speed by about 5 to 8 mph). No jumpiness there. The problem in my case has been with the tachometer...

that really makes it sound like a cable problem

Thanks!

Just to clarify: the speedometer and odometer are okay on my bike (although the speedo seems to consistently overestimate speed by about 5 to 8 mph). No jumpiness there. The problem in my case has been with the tachometer...

I'm not nearly as knowledgeable as most of these guys, but I can tell you that the speedo/od are run from the other cable, so that makes it sound likely that there is an issue with the tach cable or tach mechanism, since it provides a seperate function.

Last edited:
overseas speedometer,

google them, I think they are in Austin or maybe San Antonio. He rebuilt both my Speedo and Tach. Broken and glued together needle was replaced on speedo, and the indicated speed is now within 2 mph of the garmin. Used to be about 10 mph fast. BUT FIRST, replace both your speedo and tachometer cables!!!

Remember to check the cable housing. Having a bad housing and installing a new cable, may not solve the problem.

Don't ask how I KNOW.

I am the original owner of an 1975 R90/6 and it has the solid non-perforated disk.

Do you know the build date for your bike? The books mostly say that the '75s came out with the perforated disk but I suppose that at the transition around September 1974 when the 1975s came out, if there were solid disks on the shelf, they likely would have used them up before switching to the newer style. One book, though (Andy Schwietzer's book on Boxers 1969 to 1985), says that the drilled disks showed up in the 3rd quarter of 1974, so possibly late model year 1974s could have gotten the drilled disks. Ian Falloon says it was for the '75s. :dunno

Do you know the build date for your bike? The books mostly say that the '75s came out with the perforated disk but I suppose that at the transition around September 1974 when the 1975s came out, if there were solid disks on the shelf, they likely would have used them up before switching to the newer style. One book, though (Andy Schwietzer's book on Boxers 1969 to 1985), says that the drilled disks showed up in the 3rd quarter of 1974, so possibly late model year 1974s could have gotten the drilled disks. Ian Falloon says it was for the '75s. :dunno

According to the VIN on my 1975 R75/6, it was built in Oct 1974. It has a perforated disk.

Back