• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Sealed Swing Arm Bearing Question

88bmwjeff

SF Bay Area
My 1988 R100 RT has sealed swing arm bearings. I think I know the answer to this, but I thought I'd ask. I had the swing arm bearings replaced about 15,000 miles ago and I didn't expect them to be bad. But, when I checked them, there was a lot of side to side play. That would be a side to side (left/right) with the swing arm on the bike. If you were staring down at the bearing in the swing arm, it would be an in/out or up/down play. I hope I explained this well. I don't there should be any play whatsoever. I really thought the bearings should last more than 15,000 miles, but if they're bad--they're bad.

Definitely should last more than 15k miles. Pop off the swingarm bearing caps on both sides of the frame and check the locknuts and pins for looseness—one may have loosened and backed out a bit. If they need adjusting, the procedure is covered fairly well in the Clymer manual.

Best,
DeVern

Those are sealed tapered roller bearings, and the only function correctly when installed and torqued to the correct setting. Without any preload on the bearings they will always feel somewhat loose and sloppy, and if they are the unsealed variety the inner race and bearing assembly pop right out in your hand.

With the swingarm out, you could press and turn on the bearings to see if there’s any obvious roughness or brinelling, I guess. So long as they are still sealed with no obvious damage to the exterior seal I’d install the swingarm and set the pin adjustments, then see how the swingarm feels with no shock installed. If it moves freely and smoothly, ride on!

Best,
DeVern

Those are sealed tapered roller bearings, and the only function correctly when installed and torqued to the correct setting. Without any preload on the bearings they will always feel somewhat loose and sloppy, and if they are the unsealed variety the inner race and bearing assembly pop right out in your hand.

With the swingarm out, you could press and turn on the bearings to see if there’s any obvious roughness or brinelling, I guess. So long as they are still sealed with no obvious damage to the exterior seal I’d install the swingarm and set the pin adjustments, then see how the swingarm feels with no shock installed. If it moves freely and smoothly, ride on!

Best,
DeVern

Yes, they are a bit loose and sloppy, but they feel good when I apply a bit of pressure on them turn. To really test them I may put the swing arm back in and preload them and check the movement. It makes sense with everything apart to replace them now if need be. I have a bit of time as I will be shipping my drive shaft off for a replacement U-Joint, and that will take 2-3 weeks.

I reinstalled the swing arm and preloaded the bearings. The up-down motion was smooth with no notchiness; however, there seemed to be a minute bit of side-to-side play, which reminded me that the rear seemed a little loose a few times since I brought it out of storage. As such, I think it's best to replace the bearings since thing are apart. FYI, there's no play in the final drive (I had it rebuilt about 10k miles ago), so I'm sure that's not the issue. Thanks for everyone's help.

Back