• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Russell Day Long Seats - Materials thoughts?

skibumwi

I'm interested in the RDL seat for my '16 R1200RT but was wondering about the material choices. I'd like to hear opinions about the Leather vs Sunbrella material options. I think my inclination is to go with leather but was wondering if anyone has experience with the Sunbrella material?

I don't have any plans to utilize any colors other than Black, or possibly, Gray (If I can find a Gray that's a good match to the trim - recommendations?). FWIW I have the Ebony Metallic (aka Black Cherry) paint scheme.

Thanks,
Ski
20170315_170707.jpg

FWIW, I've had two leather RDL seats, one each on my 2008 and 2015 RTs. I tend to think that the leather requires more attention and care. I always put on the RDL rain cover when the bike is in the sun, sitting outside in the rain, or when riding in the rain. About 3 times a year I use two products on the seats...Leatherique and Pristine Clean (see: http://www.leatherique.com).

Despite my best efforts, I did find that the piping in the seat was worn some where the inner thighs of my Aerostich AD-1 pants contacted it. That appeared after 50,000 miles of riding.

I'd think that Sunbrella might be more wear-resistant and need less care. That said, I think the comfort of the leather is great. I've done days when i rode 525 miles and the seat was the least of my worries.

I have only read a few reviews on Sunbrella and none of them were good. I chose leather seat with vinyl sides and probably would again. I use this twice a year and keep mine covered with their rain cover whenever we are not on it or we are on it and it is raining very heavily.

I have an RDL on both my '00 Triumph Thunderbird 900 and my '04 R1150R. The Triumph's seat is all tan leather and the 1150R's seat is black vinyl in a quasi-carbon fibre pattern. Both are extremely comfortable, with the Triumph's seat taking a slight lead in long time in the saddle - maybe due to the small diamond pattern in the seat, but it's a very slight lead. Although the Triumph's seat is great-looking, the tan leather shows everything - the black vinyl doesn't. The only quibble on both of them is due to the inherent shape of the seat. With the wide "wings", I need to scoot toward the tank in order to flat-foot at a stop, then scoot back in the seat after starting from the stop. IMO, it's a minor inconvenience in comparison to the overall comfort.

I have a Leather RDL on my 2010RT. Just turned over 30K miles. I'm VERY confident that the bike will wear out long before that leather seat.:)

I just got mine back from Russell a couple weeks ago. I got the vinyl. Don't know how it will go over the long run, but I'm sure liking it now.

I have only seen the sunbrella on the seats. I have owned both leather and vinyl Russells and put a lot of miles on them. Don't ever get ALL leather. The bottom part in vinyl just stays much nicer. The top part in leather is better than vinyl in one way only. The leather conforms to your butt better than vinyl, sort of breaks in better. Beyond that, leather gets surface cracks, the die color wears off the surface. I keep my leather conditioned well, but abrasive gear like my Motoport kevlar mesh eats up the leather MUCH worse than it does vinyl. I owned one rain cover for a Russell. Since then I just ride, wash, and go. Never had any sign of water into the seat. I do cover the bike when parked overnight outside.

The Sunbrella fabric looks weird on the bikes I have seen it on. Out of place. But, it very well may be comfortable. I have used Sunbrella on t-tops for my boat. It holds up well, but it can over the years fade some and become a bit stiff. That might not apply to a bike seat. As for breathability, I don't think that is going to matter if you wear protective gear.

I keep my leather conditioned well, but abrasive gear like my Motoport kevlar mesh eats up the leather MUCH worse than it does vinyl.
I owned one rain cover for a Russell. Since then I just ride, wash, and go. Never had any sign of water into the seat. I do cover the bike when parked overnight

I have a Corbin vinyl on my K with no sign of wear. I never cover the vinyl when touring.

My R1100RT has a leather Russell. I protect it with leather waterproofing and always cover it overnight when on the road. Despite my care, the seat needs to be recovered, possibly because of my Motoport riding gear but more likely some seams have begun to rot. The vinyl Corbin, with more use, shows zero wear.

When the difference between the US and CDN dollars gets closer, I'll have the Russell recovered in vinyl. I have not noticed any discomfort with a vinyl seat covering. Another down side of the need for the Russell cover is it is not a good snug fitting cover.

When the difference between the US and CDN dollars gets closer, I'll have the Russell recovered in vinyl. I have not noticed any discomfort with a vinyl seat covering.

It may be just my imagination but just like vinyl vs leather in a car the vinyl seems to be slippery. With riding gear on the texture is not an issue as far as comfort is concerned. And I just like the looks of leather.

It may be just my imagination but just like vinyl vs leather in a car the vinyl seems to be slippery. With riding gear on the texture is not an issue as far as comfort is concerned. And I just like the looks of leather.

Really haven't noticed any great sIipping with the the vinyl. I have no problems with sliding as it would be that much easier setting myself up for the curves. Being slippery would allow my moving up to the gas tank for stops with my short inseam on the Russell to be that much easier. :bliss

Yes, leather does look nicer but it does require much more care/maintenance than vinyl.

+1 Sunbrella

I have Sunbrella seats on my GSA. After about 2 years and 20k miles and they still look near new. No fading and with one spray of fabric protection, have been completely waterproof. Other than that, no maintenance. Bonus is they stay cool in the summer. As a life long boater, I've had many years of experience with Sunbrella canvas and it was the main reason for choosing a RDL seat. Highly recommend.

I have owned three RDLs and if you can't tell by the number, I love them. All of them have been leather. I did make an "oil cloth" cover for them for when the bike is parked. It prevents sun (weather) and bird droppings from getting to the seats.
The first RDL I had was on an R1100R I inherited. I flew to NE Penn. to get the bike and rode it back to North Carolina. On route I did the Skyline drive (which added hours to the trip). All in all I rode 11 hours without a bit of pain or problem.

It is REALLY hard to beat the performance of leather all things considered. I have a custom leather seat on my RT from Rich's Custom Seats here in Seattle. Its very nice. I don't worry too much about taking care of it. Clean and condition ever so often. I am not that familiar with Sunbrella.

Cheers

I've had leather on both of my RDL seats and currently have leather on my RT seat from Rich's. It does feel like the leather breathes better than other materials, although I do not have any experience with Sunbrella (except the awning on my boat at one time). I also prefer the worn in look of leather over time. The only required maintenance is an occasional treatment with a good leather conditioner (I've had great results from Lexol). If I'm traveling, I do keep a small plastic trash bag to cover the seat if there's a chance it will be exposed to rain for an extended period of time. That probably isn't necessary as the Lexol treatments (take care to get it into any seams) do a pretty good job of repelling the rain.

My seat

I have a seat made in 1995 for my 95 K75. I inquired into recovering it from Russell but they weren't that helpful. They thought it was leather when it is actually leather and claimed there were springs in it when there are not. They quoted me a rebuild over $500, which is a good amount of the total value of the bike. Seems to me that they aren't too interested in providing support for old seats, but your new one should be more manageable for them. My vinyl is faded and has some cracking but it will do. Your machine will look nice with whatever you choose, no doubt.

Attachments

• russell3sml.jpg
    russell3sml.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 127
I have a seat made in 1995 for my 95 K75. I inquired into recovering it from Russell but they weren't that helpful. They thought it was leather when it is actually leather and claimed there were springs in it when there are not. They quoted me a rebuild over $500, which is a good amount of the total value of the bike. Seems to me that they aren't too interested in providing support for old seats, but your new one should be more manageable for them. My vinyl is faded and has some cracking but it will do. Your machine will look nice with whatever you choose, no doubt.

Are you sure that seat doesn't have the patented transverse spring that supports the wings for wide people? I can't imagine why they would leave that out.

Back