• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

RT gasoline smell, filler neck leak

AntonLargiader

I have a 2014 RT in the shop that had a persistent gas smell on the test ride. Turned out the filler neck assembly was not sealing to the tank at the front. The top of the plastic tank is flat, and there's a rubber gasket on the bottom of the filler neck that seals to the tank. The front of the tank opening had a low spot that allowed a gap between the parts. I could see a rub mark there, as if something in the past had been pushing on that area so I bought a used tank, but the used tank is even worse in this way.

It looks like a bad design. The bolt circle is 4" diameter, but the gasket contacts a circle less than 2.5", so it's pushing down on unsupported plastic. There's nothing keeping that plastic flat enough to maintain a consistent seal against the lip of that rubber gasket (which is less than 1mm tall). Given the condition of the used tank I bought, I have to think that there are a lot of bikes out there with this issue. If you have a persistent gas smell from your wethead, it's easy enough to check this... make some sort of plug for the internal part of the filler neck with a tube in it, and lightly pressurize the tank by blowing into it. If it's leaking at the front, you will know.

This shows the depression between the threaded inserts at the front of the tank:
IMG_3938.jpeg

That low spot continues all the way back to the opening; you can see where the gasket touches. It's very easy to feel the low spot running a finger around it, but you can see it clearly with a straight edge also. There's no expectation that a 1mm tall rubber lip is going to seal this off.
IMG_3939.jpeg

As an interim repair, I have built this area up (on the original tank; the pictured one is the used one I bought) with a few coats of sealant but it may not prove to be a long-term solution.

I'm curious about other tanks out there; do they have this same low spot and leak, or are they OK?

I had the same exact problem on my 2014 RT too. Yours may be a little more warped than mine, though. I used some Permatex gasket sealant that was rated for oil/gasoline. I followed all the instructions to the letter, ensuring that the sealant was all around the opening where the gasket was positioned. I then put the gas cap assembly back on, and was discouraged because it still leaked. However, I then tightened the screws a little more and waited overnight. In the morning, no more gas smell or leakage. It was easy to test by rocking the bike back and forth. Just one caution ... I've heard it's easy to loosen up the brass inserts in the plastic tank if you tighten the screws too much.

Once I fixed it, I'm now a bit paranoid about putting on any tank bags that bolt to the tank ring, though.

Thank you for the insight, my 2014 RT has had a lingering gasoline smell for years, especially when I top off the tank.
I will check out the filler gasket situation and apply the fix and hopefully eliminate the gas odor.

Back