• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

RIDE Modes

globalrider

Alps Adventurer
Can't say the Rider's Manual is all that well written. Hell, a Pilot's Operating Handbook is a no-brainer to understand.

So based on the following options on my 2016 R1200 GSA, I should have more than just the ROAD and RAIN modes that I presently see when toggling though by pressing the MODE button. So what happened to my Dynamic, Enduro and Enduro Pro Modes? Dynamic might come in handy but I'd probably never use Enduro or Enduro Pro modes. But I paid for them so want to make sure they are available.

GSA Options.jpg

And I noticed this plug in the harness that is an open circuit since the cover is just there to keep water and dust out.
2016 BMW R1200 GSA - Under-Seat Electonics - Plug.jpg

And this plug under the seat that when plugged in, did not change any of my MODES.
2016 BMW R1200 GSA - Under-Seat Plug - SM.jpg

I take it this needs to be set-up just as way back when when I set-up my BC Custom display for top and bottom info displays.

The dongle is for enduro pro. Plugging it in should activate enduro pro but it has nothing to do with the regular dynamic or enduro modes. Computer pro option is what gets dynamic and enduro modes. May need to have a dealer look at it.

Did you buy it used recently? Or just realized 7 years later that modes were missing?

The dongle is for enduro pro. Plugging it in should activate enduro pro but it has nothing to do with the regular dynamic or enduro modes. Computer pro option is what gets dynamic and enduro modes. May need to have a dealer look at it.

I downloaded the following chart a few days ago for my 2016 R1200 GSA and have been on YouTube looking up the RIDE modes. I do have the Computer Pro option.
BMW_R1200GS_Ride_Modes.jpg

Did you buy it used recently? Or just realized 7 years later that modes were missing?

Bought it new in 2016. Didn't really need all the high-tech crap that comes on vehicles these days. Sort of like all those features that most never use on a TV or DVD remote. Whats important to me in a motorcycle is "range" and a "comfortable seating position" for all day rides and still feel human the next day. :laugh I'd just like to try the Dynamic mode.

On my 2016 RS I needed Ride Mode Pro #224 to have Dynamic.
I don't know if it was the same for the GS.

I run my 16RS in dynamic mode 1 rider, most of the time. I only use this motor for local twisties since getting getting the RT. The RT gets the long haul trips.

I don't know if it was the same for the GS.

It might be Lee. BMW's terminology of options can make it confusing in their use of "Pro" in that I do have the Computer Pro and they have Ride Mode Pro. Myabe they are different options. Just wondering why I'd have that shorting plug under my seat if I don't have the option.

In any case, I've always left the Ride Mode in ROAD since I bought the GSA new in 2016 and totally forgot about that Mode button. Sort of like ABS which has never come on since I use my judgement instead of relying on nanny controls.

Anyway, at least I got my Multi Function Display back to what it was after the battery that failed.

Not having owned a GS, I have two questions... :scratch

So the plug attached to the harness was not plugged back in after the battery was replaced?

Shawn, is a dongle the same thing as a "shorting plug"?

Thanks,

E.

Not having owned a GS, I have two questions... :scratch

So the plug attached to the harness was not plugged back in after the battery was replaced?

Shawn, is a dongle the same thing as a "shorting plug"?

Thanks,

E.

So yes the dongle is the shorting plug to activate enduro pro. I am sure that if the bike came with the enduro pro plug it should have all the ride modes.

Two different issues.

The YUASA battery that I just replaced has nothing to do with the "plug".

The plug in the wiring harness (the one with a yellow circle around it in post #1) normally has a cover that snaps over it to keep water and dust out. That is the way my GSA was delivered. It is an open circuit.

When you install the shorting plug, it shorts the two pins and likely selects another map in the ECU as mentioned in the post #8 above.

So yes the dongle is the shorting plug to activate enduro pro. I am sure that if the bike came with the enduro pro plug it should have all the ride modes.

That is what I am thinking, BUT....

Looking at the 2016 Product Sheet for my R1200 GSA, one of the options lists:

Ride Modes Pro (Dynamic, Enduro, Enduro Pro).

Then it also 2 Packages and this is one of them...
Touring Package - Dynamic Electronic Suspension Adjustment, On Board Computer Pro, Preparation for GPS, Cruise Control, LED Fog Light, Luggage Case Brackets.

Maybe those BOLDED are not the same, yet why do I have a "shorting plug" under the seat?

That is what I am thinking, BUT....

Looking at the 2016 Product Sheet for my R1200 GSA, one of the options lists:

Ride Modes Pro (Dynamic, Enduro, Enduro Pro).

Then it also 2 Packages and this is one of them...
Touring Package - Dynamic Electronic Suspension Adjustment, On Board Computer Pro, Preparation for GPS, Cruise Control, LED Fog Light, Luggage Case Brackets.

Maybe those BOLDED are not the same, yet why do I have a "shorting plug" under the seat?

The first time I looked at new BMW motorcycles the salesman asked, "Do you want the one with the big fairing or the one with the smaller fairing". Sometimes I long for those more simple days!

Sometimes I long for those more simple days!

Well Paul, I am amazed that some would go for some of the high-tech crap they put on cars and sometimes motorcycles these days...including ABS (more on that at the bottom).

Both my 2017 Acura RDX and my 2015 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS have this thing called "Voice" or "Voice Control". Yeah well this is not the Starship Enterprise and I can adjust anything much faster with my hand than talking to the damn thing.

And as for ABS, if my 2003 GSA had it (I don't want it even if it was FREE), I would have cut that bicyclist in half (a real situation, not a practice one). I don't want ABS in my cars or motorcycles. It is fine in airliners where it came from.

Lucky you can pack in Texas! :thumb

Just curious about the relevance of the last sentence.

None at all with respect to the MFD.

I was just saying "Anyway, at least I got..." I got the MFD set up because the MFD showed far more than than I originally set up in it before the battery failed. And if you tried to set it up 7 years later after I initially set it up, you tend to forget how that was done. Hold Down the BC Custom for more than a few seconds to enter that mode.

Lee, looks like you are right after reading a few reviews.

It appears that the the On Board Computer Pro and Ride Mode Pro are two totally different options.

Anyway, good to know I didn't pay for something I did not get and ROAD and RAIN are all I really need (hell, its never even been in RAIN mode since I bought it). When you have been in the dirt on a 250 or less pound enduro, something at 500+ pounds would only be frustrating.

Back