• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Rekeying Top Case on 08 R1200 RT. BMW tells me it can't be done !

PPARKER1024

For the sake of argument, I'm going to say that my last bike was a 2008 BMW R1200 RT, but it really was a 2007 BMW K1200GT. My last bike had the large 49-litre top case where all keys were alike. The top case for the R1200 RT and the K12 and K13 GT is the same. That last bike was involved in an accident where a fellow rider rear ended my bike, which resulted in that bike being declared a total loss.

I kept that top case, but turned in the two keys when the salvage company came to collect the bike.

Here is my dilemma. The local BMW shop tells me that they can't rekey the top case, because it almost always destroys the case. They want to simply give me a copy of the original key and not rekey the top case to the new bike, which means that I have two big bulky keys.

I thought that maybe they needed the original key to somehow remove the lock tumbler, and then they would use that key to being the rekey process. I had a hard time comprehending that they couldn't rekey the tumbler.

Is this true? If not, please tell me some good news.

Regards,

Phil

Dealers re-key the top case to the bike as a matter of routine when the top case is ordered as an accessory. The top cases are ordered separately from the bike and come from BMW with a random key that doesn't match the ignition..............................except:

Last year I ordered my new R1200RT with the top case as an accessory. The dealer said it was a first, an incredible coincidence; the key for the top case happened to match the ignition key. They said they usually just threw out the 2 keys that come with the top case, keyed the case to the ignition, and delivered the bike with the bike keys. In this instance the bike came with five keys: two chipped ignition keys with black heads, the chipped plastic spare and two grey headed top case keys that have no ignition chip.

Top Case key

I have a top case that is keyed different from the ignition. I was told by a dealer that when one orders a top case the cylinder is out of the case & can be keyed to match the ignition & then it snaps into the case . In my circumstance the cylinder needs to be removed from the case in order to be re-keyed. It can be done but the whole top case & latching mechanism needs to almost be disassembled to get the cylinder out ( something like a 2 hr job). easier & less expensive to just have 2 keys on the ring.

Last edited:
I kept that top case, but turned in the two keys when the salvage company came to collect the bike.

Here is my dilemma. The local BMW shop tells me that they can't rekey the top case, because it almost always destroys the case.

I think you need to combine those two statements to get an accurate story. Rekeying is easy with the lock cylinder in your hand. Getting the lock cylinder out is moderately easy with the original key. But you don't have the original key. Their fear is that they may break something trying to remove the lock cylinder.

If you have an original key you can do the work yourself: http://www.ebbo.org/re_keying.php

Can you get a duplicate correct key?

When I bought my bike, I also bought the large top case. The dealer did not have one in the box, but there was one on another showroom bike, which already had a cylinder and key in it (I tried it before I approved the swap). They rekeyed it with no problem to match my bike. You said that they wanted to get you a duplicate key. If they do that, then you essentially have an original key. With that, they should be able to remove the cylinder and re-key it. Incidently, they also swapped a damaged (scratched) side case and rekeyed it as well ( I KNOW that it was already keyed to another bike), so it CAN be done. :brow

Last edited:
My '08 RT came from the factory with one steel key and one plastic one. I complained that I wanted a second steel key, which the dealer simply ordered from BMW NA as part of a recall or campaign applying at least to the '08 RT's.

The point is, maybe your year and model is still eligible for a free second metal key. That's the key you could use to remove the lock cylinder from your original case. (Once the cylinder's out, the rest is easy - but to avoid drilling you do need an original key).

Their fear is that they may break something trying to remove the lock cylinder.

If you have an original key you can do the work yourself: http://www.ebbo.org/re_keying.php

Thank you. This link was very good. It really PISSES me off (with BIG CAPS) that 441 BMW in Fort Lauderdale was such pussies about this. Isn't that why we pay higher prices for this equipment and service? After reading all of this, I'm just very annoyed that they even suggested that I carry around to bulky keys for one bike - one for bike and most of the locks accept for the top case. If they can't rekey a lock, this doesn't give me much confidence that they can perform serious work. This is my dealer.

I'm going to take my bike to another dealer. I'm just getting fed up with 441 BMW (Ft Lauderdale).

Very disappointed.

Thanks guys.

For the record, I had to turn in my 2 original keys with the salvaged bike and I kept the top case from that bike - forgetting that I needed to keep a key for the top case, thus my delimit.

I'm going to take my bike to another dealer.

You might do better taking your case to a locksmith. In order to remove the cylinder you have to put the pin in the release hole but first you have to lock the case to align the thing that you are going to depress with the release hole. Without a key how are you going to lock the case?

Thus the possible need for a locksmith.

...Here is my dilemma. The local BMW shop tells me that they can't rekey the top case, because it almost always destroys the case. They want to simply give me a copy of the original key and not rekey the top case to the new bike, which means that I have two big bulky keys. ...I thought that maybe they needed the original key to somehow remove the lock tumbler, and then they would use that key to being the rekey process. I had a hard time comprehending that they couldn't rekey the tumbler.Phil
Get the key, stick it in, and use a small probe to extricate the lock cylinder. there is a link on the site to rekeying.
I shuffled the existing brass slides and was able to get 4 of 5 to work - saved me buying a kit - left one empty and put it back together.
Done

Ii recently bought a used case and initially didn't get a key.. the dealer said they could re-key it, but would have to totally disassemble the case to get the lock out. I don't see why someone couldn't do it themselves (take the case apart) I can't imagine it is very difficult, just a bunch of torx screws... and, of course, pay attention!

I ended up getting the key from the guy and got it done the easy way.. my dealer charged me $50 bux, ( without the key.. the quoted $150 bux.)

I bought one without a key and my dealer keyed it like my bike as a favor. Of course I had just spent 21 grand with him.....
Point is, it can be done and fairly simply.

I bought a used 49 liter case that came with an ignition key. It had been rekeyed so that it will open with most any RT key including the ignition key for my bike. There are instructions how to do this here.

AzGman... the issue is getting to the lock.. not re-keying it once it is out.. without a key, it is near impossible to remove it... there is a pin that needs to be pushed to release the lock barrel and you need the key to rotate the barrel to get it out...

Without the correct key, the best way to get the lock cylinder out of the case is to drill it out. The drill bit size and the depth to be drilled are both critical dimensions - which are specified somewhere deep in the advrider forum. (I don't know what they are). Then coding a new cylinder to the ignition key, and installing it, is fairly simple.

I've noticed that many dealers have experience doing this successfully, but it would be pretty scary on a first time DIY basis.

RE: http://www.ebbo.org/re_keying.php

I finally got the master original key and by following the directions provided earlier, I was able to pull the tumbler and show Ft Lauderdale BMW that it could be done. I took the tumbler there so that they could now rekey it as I originally asked. I think they were a bit embarrassed that I did what they implied wasn't wise to do. I also told them that if I can't trust that they can't do something so simple as to rekey a lock, what faith should I have to have them work on my motor in the future. With those few words, they took the tumbler and did what I originally asked. I now have a top case that has been rekeyed. Thanks for the link (above). It was pretty darn good. I had to figure out how to put the tumbler back in, but that was pretty easy.

I have one last question. Does BMW sell those little pins, or is a set include a new tumbler. I'm just confirming what was said with reality.

Lastly, is the BMW key available at a lock smith - without the chip? I would like to have a flat key that I can put in my wallet to open the seat where I would store a backup key just in case I lost a key while on the road. I did buy that plastic key, but even that is pretty thick.

I think you need to combine those two statements to get an accurate story. Rekeying is easy with the lock cylinder in your hand. Getting the lock cylinder out is moderately easy with the original key. But you don't have the original key. Their fear is that they may break something trying to remove the lock cylinder.

The Link to http://www.ebbo.org/re_keying.php is no longer available. Did any one copy this or have a similar site to re direct me to.
I have a 28 Liter Top Case, the old key is only available for a short time. I have a new cylinder ready to go but I can't find the directions any where. Every body points to this link that isn't available.
-Roger

The Link to http://www.ebbo.org/re_keying.php is no longer available. Did any one copy this or have a similar site to re direct me to.
I have a 28 Liter Top Case, the old key is only available for a short time. I have a new cylinder ready to go but I can't find the directions any where. Every body points to this link that isn't available.
-Roger

I have it saved as a mht file. Send me your email and I can send it to you.
Regards
Ed

-Roger

There are also a couple of videos on YouTube showing how to do it.

JayJay

Mine's been rekeyed twice by my dealer.

Bought from guy with K1200GT
Rekeyed to fit my 2008 R1200RT
Rekeyed to fit my 2012 R1200RT.

Back