• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Reflective Decals

That's my RT on the left in the pic below. I have a some of that same stuff on the front - lime green and orange. If someone doesn't see me they are truly not looking...

i-4p2HRCD-L.jpg

In New York, reflective tape is required on both sides of a motorcycle helmet. I'm probably the only rider in NY in compliance with that law. Police could care less about reflective tape.

Maybe one of the few who is compliant. This has been a requirement since 1966. At one point you were required to have 4 sq in on each side as well as the back. On the back it had to go vertically. The back was later changed since you had to have a reflector on the rear of the motorcycle. Last year the helmet reflector law was repealed. But, many officers are still driving around with old VTL's so it is always wise to have the reflector material on your helmet.

It should also be noted that some BMW's don't come with a rear reflector, which is a violation in NY. Drive near NYC or into NYC, and you could have your bike towed on the spot. They set up road blocks just for motorcycles and look for simple violations. When found, they tow the bike. You can read about some of those horror stories here.

NY is notorious for looking for violations. Over the years, I have had a pile of tickets for non-existent laws, or repealed laws. Most near NYC. Upstate there is rarely a problem. Unless you are speeding. I think NY is #2 in the nation for writing speeding tickets. The VTL laws in NY are a mess. You can read about the problems here.

As for reflective material. I would make sure that it has a US DOT stamp on it. Most Federal laws override State laws. Red and/or white are the safest colors. I suppose it is possible to get into trouble with other colors.

Back