• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Rear shock removal - R90/6

THOMASPIN

Airhead
My Koni (now Ikon) 7610P rear shocks have 45,000 miles on them since I installed them new 30 years ago. I have no idea if they need it, given the gradual deterioration of these parts in use, but earlier postings here suggest they are due for a rebuild.

I have quite forgotten what the obstacles to the remove and replace process were (in fact I'm getting to an age where remembering my home address gives me a little frisson).

Accordingly, I would welcome instructions on what to look out for in this process. I'm concerned that the bike will crash onto its rear fender, destroying $millions in precious hand pin striping and that replacement will need the combined efforts of Hercules and Schwarzenegger.

Thank you in advance.

I'll be interested in seeing what recommendations are...my Konis have quite a few miles on them.

As for a process...what about just doing one shock at a time?

Even doing one shock at a time, which you should, will be difficult for one person. Once one shock is off, the bike will settle just enough to make getting the replacement back on a challenge -- particularly since the old springs will have collapsed a bit relative to a new shock. Easy peasy with a helper to lift the bike while you replace one shock at a time; only two hands, not so much. What I have done is to fit a large eyebolt in the crossbeam on the ceiling of my garage and run a tie down to the sub frame. With the bike on the center stand you only need to raise the rear a half inch or so.

Seems like a well placed floor jack and a piece of 1x1 might also help to take the pressure off.

I assume you have a center stand. I rebuilt the Koni shocks on my 78RS, not exactly your bike, but very similar. I put the bike on the center stand, removed both mufflers to aid in working on the bike, and one shock at a time. The other shock will keep the rear end from falling.

The shocks are a different story. You need a spring compressor to release the spring tension. The one I borrowed was a piece a junk, and I nearly lost my finger in the process. Once the spring tension is released, remove the retainer at the top. Slip off the spring. Here another problem arose for me, the threaded collar is removed using a pin wrench. I didn't have one, so I made one. My attempt was not successful, it kept slipping off the ring. I finally borrowed one from a friend that worked. Even with the correct wrench, the ring would not release until a liberal amount of heat had been applied with a heat gun. Other than that, it was a simple process. I purchased the rebuilt kit from Icon for a few dollars.

Wayne

I think, as mentioned, do them one side at a time. If I remember correctly on my '76 /6, there was a through bolt and nut at the top to remove and a nut on a stud at the bottom. I don't think I removed the mufflers or anything to get the shocks off. Completely straightforward process.

Seems like 'one shock at a time' is the winner. Thank you for all the suggestions.

I am now working to convince myself that there's another 50,000 miles left in these .... by which time I will be pushing up the daisies and it's the next caretaker's headache.

If I go ahead I propose delegating the actual rebuild to Ikon (they want $270, which is more than the shocks cost 30 years ago!) as I am fairly attached to my ten fingers, and would prefer to remain so. Thanks for the warning from 'toooldtocare'.

If the shocks are going to be sent off for a rebuild, could be a good time for cleaning up the back end, sub frame of the bike. If the bike has bag mounts, remove and clean them. Clean the rear fender, tail light and turn signal assembly. Maybe U remove the rear wheel and give it a good cleaning. Do the swing arm. When the shocks come back and are reinstalled. The back half of the bike is looking good with a new set of shocks. :thumb

Patchett on Koni shocks

I bought my Konis from Kieth Patchett in 1990 and on checking my records found his instructions. (He passed away a few years ago).

He says the life is 40,000 miles between overhauls and I'm attaching his sales brochure and instructions as they may be of interest to others. I always found him to be very practical, and his recommendations based on his high airhead mileage.

Click the link to download:

http://www.pindelski.org/HackPro/Patchett_Koni_shocks.pdf

Back