• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Weird aluminum boxes on the bottom of rear shocks?

I'm looking at a picture of a R60/7 that shows on the bottom of both rear shocks some sort of aluminum box shape unit. I looks to be about 2" x 3" x 2" high and is rectangular in shape, with fins on the casting. It seems to be the attachment point for the lower shock mount. Then it has a thick rod that goes up into the spring itself. Anyone ever come across such an item? Someone put them on both rear shocks for a reason I suppose. Can anyone tell me what they are supposed to do? It looks like to remove them you would need to completely replace the rear shocks. Thanks.

I've seen them...the name escapes me now. A picture or link would help identify them.

I'm looking at a picture of a R60/7 that shows on the bottom of both rear shocks some sort of aluminum box shape unit. I looks to be about 2" x 3" x 2" high and is rectangular in shape, with fins on the casting. It seems to be the attachment point for the lower shock mount. Then it has a thick rod that goes up into the spring itself. Anyone ever come across such an item? Someone put them on both rear shocks for a reason I suppose. Can anyone tell me what they are supposed to do? It looks like to remove them you would need to completely replace the rear shocks. Thanks.

They are called Redwing Shocks.

Let me know if this is what they look like.

Darryl

Attachments

• Redwing Shocks.jpg
    Redwing Shocks.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 148
Thanks guys, yes, that is exactly what the ones I am seeing are. They must be pretty old by now. I wonder if they are/were an improvement or just a gimmick. I checked the thread that was mentioned and it looks like they were made by Showa. I'll try to find more information on them now that I know what they are. Thanks.

I wonder if they are/were an improvement or just a gimmick.

Shock bodies like this were big in the 70s-80s motocross world, the purpose was mainly to increase the volume of oil that a shock could hold and to dissipate heat from the oil. The ones I've seen have much deeper cooling fins than those Darryl has shown. Nowadays, shock bodies are much larger and they're usually configured with an external adjustment apparatus filled with nitrogen, and its purpose is to adjust damping performance to suit riding conditions in all forms of racing and riding.

They were owned at one time by a Japanese corporation, Marubeni America Corporation, Redwing Group. They still own over 250 companies, I do not see the Redwing Group listed anymore.Redwing shock.jpg

Back