• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Rally too commercial?

Saw a cruiser rider in the Cities yesterday dressed in NOTGNOTT :banghead

Neither he nor his passenger were dressed for riding. I got a chuckle when I saw he was wearing flip flops, and his left big Toe had a big bandage....wonder how that happened.:dunno:whistle

Walking. That's way dangerous!

And, as a redirect, we were talking about appreciating volunteers.
I'm one and I sure appreciate all the others who are!
The seminars couldn't be better! And the medallion was definitely a step in showing appreciation.

Thanks, Sue!

Voni
sMiling

Thanks for the reminder, Voni.

Over the years, seminar presenters were apparently not considered "rally workers" so they didn't get the little thank-you trinkets such as neckerchiefs that were given to volunteers such as those who did gate duty.

This year, Sue Rhin-Manke, the seminar boss, made arrangements to present medals to each and every seminar presenter. The huge value of this wasn't in the medals, of course, but in the recognition that seminar presenters do a valuable service that needs to be recognized.

So, thanks to Sue, who somehow managed the chess game of arranging so many seminars to fit in the available space, and as icing on the cake, giving the presenters an attaboy. I'm sure all the presenters feel like Olympic medalists!

pmdave

Last edited:
HAHAHA I also spotted a BMW suited(I think I saw creases ) rider on a GS in Rocky MT. Natl park,standing of course...prolly trying to see over the tree line!! Yes it was pavement.

I am disappointed at how many riders choose to go gear less when riding around the rally site. With the congestion it seems that a mishap with serious injuries is just waiting to happen.

I recall the story of a motorcycle shop employee several years ago falling off a bike in a parking lot suffering fatal injuries.

. I'm sure all the presenters feel like Olympic medalists!

Seminar Presenters are integral to the rally. Thanks for taking time out of your schedules to inform, entertain, share, and enhance our experience!

:hug

HAHAHA I also spotted a BMW suited(I think I saw creases ) rider on a GS in Rocky MT. Natl park,standing of course...prolly trying to see over the tree line!! Yes it was pavement.

I stand because I can, because it feels good to stretch out my calves and feet now and then, to see over things in front of me, to make myself more visible to folks turning my way from side streets, and sometimes to get more cooling air flowing over my mesh gear.

Why are so many concerned with what others are doing? :scratch

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Why are so many concerned with what others are doing? :scratch

Possibly they are the jealous ones who foolishly chose a model other than a GS and cannot boldly stand while riding; but must remain with buttocks firmly planted upon their saddles, their view points limited by their inferior stature.:stick

The RS guys have to stand up and stretch their legs every 45 minutes / 60 miles, or so.

I didn't think it was too commercial. I was happy to see the vendors. Having them there gave me a chance to purchase a bunch of stuff. And being as there is no sales tax in oregon... :dance And the spouse got his Schuberth refurbished for free too.

And I occasionaly stood up on the pegs, too. The seat on the R45 isn't too comfy and I was jealous of those that brung their GS's. Ours got left at home. And no, I wasn't ATGATT while on the rally grounds. But I did wear the helmet.

A rally participant made a complaint that one of the rally events was too "commercial." Perhaps it would be helpful to fellow MOA members to provide some reminders of how the rally works...Let's take "Coffee With Dave" for example. Over the years the coffee, pastries, and bananas have been provided by Dave...out of his pocket

This was my first MOA rally.
This was the reason I didn't volunteer.
The next one i surely will...

For two days i rode around on my hack looking for other R1200C 'cruisers' and leaving notes for a meet and greet in the beer tent. (sans toe bandage)
I went into town and bought "snacks" for us.
Why?
Because it was a rally and a nice thing to do.

As for commercial...
Doesn't the very existence of the MOA revolve around a brand of motorcycle.
Heck, ya can't get more 'commercial' than that!

This was my first rally of any kind. I enjoyed visiting the vendor booths as we have very few vendors near home. Kind of nice to get your hands on stuff that I've only seen in catalogs.

Really enjoyed the presentations. Volunteered for a couple of shifts as recommended by others before I headed down to Redmond. Met a lot of wonderful people while volunteering and especially around the Airhead tent.

Thank you to all the organizers!

Back