• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Raising the rider seat on an RT.

pwillikers

Vehicle: 2011 R1200RT (K26, 0440)

I have Sargent rider and passenger seats on my RT. The rider seat tilts toward the rear of the bike which causes low back pain on long rides. I'm working on options to level it out. Attached is a picture the rider seat perch and several other pictures showing iterations of a 1/2" aluminum spacer which raises the perch.

This first iteration needs some work. The frame section on which the perch mounts is itself canted forward so a uniform thickness spacer moves the perch up and also, undesirably, closer to the front seat mount at the tank making the seat difficult to install. The spacer needs to be a wedge.

As a second attempt, I shimmed the front of the spacer up with some 1/8" stock. The seat now goes on much more easily as it should. It's a bit kludgy with the spacer and needs refinement.

Most importantly, it is much more comfortable. :)

Thanks.

IMG_20230428_122530_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230428_132207_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230428_132417_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230428_134951_HDR.jpg

Some nice fabrication. :thumb

Hope the results continue to be comfortable.

Good to see you on the forum.

OM

Back