• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

R1150RT Windshield Recommendations

grendellion

I brought my 2004 R1150RT home over the weekend and it is a great bike! I do not, however, like the windshield the previous owner attached. Right now a ZTechnik shield is on there and it doesn't work for me. At low position it diverts the air right to the bottom of my helmet making horrible noise. Only in the fully up position do I get any relief from noise but now buffeting is introduced to make up for that. The skies opened up and dumped rain on my on the ride home from the shop and with the shield fully up all the rain still got dumped in my lap. I was on a 1997 R1100RT and that one had a great shield. I don't think it was stock but it didn't have a label.

I can find countless glowing reviews for every shield produced and almost as many calling each shield trash. With so many options I'm sure there is one for every rider and every riding style, hopefully you all can help me get started. I'm 5'10" and enjoy a spirited ride every once in while but the majority of my time on the bike is spent commuting at moderate speeds and in all weather. I'm looking for something that can be quiet and comfortable on the highway and not a nuisance when in the full down position for spirited rides. I've used Aeroflow before and enjoyed their products, how is their screen for the R1150RT?

Have you tried the stock shield?

that is what i used in the warmer weather. It worked fine for me. Of course, i'm only 5'5", so that may not apply to you.

I went with an Aeroflow shield. It's a bit wider than it looked from pics on their page but performs wonderfully. I think I'll see is anyone wants to trade a stock shield for my old V-stream and try that out as well.

Windshields and seats are the biggest issue on any bike. As a general rule I've found that the bigger the windshield is, the worse it gets. Many have found that shorter shields work better in most cases, but you have to wear ear plugs.

If you are careful most shields can be cut down and no matter the shield you want to be able to look over it, not through it. The reason for that is that if it does rain you will have a great deal of difficulty looking through the windshield. As for rain, just have some decent rain gear handy and you are good to go. Good luck on your hunt.

Certainly like the Cee Bailey windscreen on my 1150RT. As has been alluded to, they are like seats, a big item for Aftermarket sales, and just like seats, they are a very personal choice item.

I tried several windshields and have decided to go with the oem short windshield. The extra airflow is welcome in the Houston summer. Noise is a bit more than the Aeroflow but turbulence is much reduced. Thanks for the advice.

Back