• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Proposed Change to Rally Fee

For clarification, what is a "day pass" in the minds of participants in this thread?

For me a day pass is just that: a pass that allows the purchaser day access to the rally site (excluding the camping grounds). It would not be for access to the evening events. The revenue impact will be dependent on how and to whom they promoted.

Campground security has always been a concern for those attending and staying on site. If that is being done now a thoughtful review prof policies and procedures should find an workable adaptation. If the rally site is not secure now,why not?

For an organization that, in the last few years, seen its membership steadily declining (25% or more) you guys spend a great deal of time making it difficult for people to have glimpse of what most of you claim is a major reason for being a member.

Last edited:
For clarification, what is a "day pass" in the minds of participants in this thread?

For me a day pass is just that: a pass that allows the purchaser day access to the rally site (excluding the camping grounds). It would not be for access to the evening events. The revenue impact will be dependent on how and to whom they promoted.

Campground security has always been a concern for those attending and staying on site. If that is being done now a thoughtful review prof policies and procedures should find an workable adaptation. If the rally site is not secure now,why not?

For an organization that, in the last few years, seen its membership steadily declining (25% or more) you guys spend a great deal of time making it difficult for people to have glimpse of what most of you claim is a major reason for beings member.

Amen mika, Amen! +10, Double Gunny! jes' sayin' and nuff said, ese!

Check the OP of this thread. I began this thread with a quotation from an email I sent to the BOD. I did not particularly expect a personal response, and I have not received one. Not a problem, as long as they (BOD) are paying attention to this thread. But that "paying attention to this thread" is what concerns me. Folks who seem to know how the MOA system works have indicated in the past that the BOD only responds to specific member input (letters, email, phone calls, etc.) and they do not respond to chatter on the Forum.

Royce, I have been following this thread from the beginning. HOWEVER, the Board has NOT received any emails from you. When the Board receives board@bmwmoa.org emails they are responded to within 24 hours unless it happens to be a weekend when we may be out of contact.

For an organization that, in the last few years, seen its membership steadily declining (25% or more) you guys spend a great deal of time making it difficult for people to have glimpse of what most of you claim is a major reason for being a member.

+2! I think your idea of a "day pass" is right and it should be for Saturday only.

Really? You think the Board of Directors spends a great deal of time making it difficult for people to have glimpse of our goings on? I think those that are interested have figured out what is going on.

The membership decline is for several reasons, not one of them is our Board, IMO.

Royce, I have been following this thread from the beginning. HOWEVER, the Board has NOT received any emails from you. When the Board receives board@bmwmoa.org emails they are responded to within 24 hours unless it happens to be a weekend when we may be out of contact.

Chuck, I just re-sent the original email (dated July 28) to the BOD, same address you give above.
thx.

Really? You think the Board of Directors spends a great deal of time making it difficult for people to have glimpse of our goings on? I think those that are interested have figured out what is going on.

The membership decline is for several reasons, not one of them is our Board, IMO.

No. "You guys" was not a direct reference to the Board but the membership yammering away in this thread at locking the place down to members only, wailing the world will end if day passes come about while suggesting the the rally be locked down like some gated community.

I have a great deal of respect for the Board. I do not always agree with where they end up. On this topic they have always listened. It is clear from their attention in this post they listen and are willing to consider ideas and changes. I do not want to debate why membership has declined or who may or may not be responsible.

Read they bylaws. They speak of comradeship, a love of motorcycling and BMWs. I would much rather see a discussion of the issue that looks at people's concerns with an eye toward opening up a day session so non members or former members could attend and see/be reminded of why so many think the rally is a great reason to be a member.

Last edited:
A few interesting points I see in this thread..

"Day passes do not provide access to the camping areas" (paraphrased). Good idea - how is it implemented? Are there additional guards surrounding the camping areas? Are the camping areas behind fences? Is there any way to actually do this?

Different color wristbands - think twice as many as you might since there apparently are completely separate under 21 year old bands needed so the beer-hall staff doesn't have to do driver's license checks.

The problem I see with this is - who is staffing the additional people who will be required if day passes are implemented? It's hard now for all the committees and workgroups that make the rally happen find enough volunteers to fill the current positions. If more volunteers are needed, where will they come from?

I'm pretty much neutral on the idea.. but suggest that thinking about "unintended consequences" is vital before making any decision to have day passes.

To all, all good points. I do not care one way or the other what decision is made. I came into the rally site setup checked in some time later. I had already prepaid. I was sorry I missed the March window. Registration was fast and efficient this year. I continue to pay the full rally fee for many year to come. Even if the rally was in my neighborhood I would be there the whole time. Sedalia was near us and our club did our best to welcome visitors to Missouri. I could not imagine not being involved. If my work schedule was too much I would have made an effort to come down and a day pass would have been great. If I travel half way across the country I'm gonna pay for the whole rally experience. As for the people that are close enough, get involved welcome your family to your home. Come join us for the whole rally. If your just trying to scam and save a buck, then scheme and scam and figure out how to totally screw over your family.

I think day passes are a wonderful way to welcome outsider into our family. We will win them over with friendship and fellowship and will make lifelong friends with people who just saw us as being different and overpriced. We need to be building a bond with the communities we visit. By putting up a finacial wall between us and that family of four that wants to show the kids some motorcycles on a Saturday afternoon, we are giving away members, very young members of our future. I brought my immediate family to our local club rally to meet my BMW family during Karen and I's wedding at The Land of Oz rally. Most will not make another rally, but some will become lifelong acquaintances to our club and rally, several will become involved with the club and BMW club elsewhere. Price things right and we will open ourselves up to extending our family.

Start with Saturday. If it works out we may be able to extend this to thers days of the rally. Maybe next year we can Bitch Moan and Whine why there were no day passes on Thursday or Friday.

Thanks to the Board of Directors, could you pass this onto your fellow board members and I hope it will help make a decision as to what is best for the club as a whole.

Michael J Mans
Kansas City, MO

I do not know how any of this would actually be implemented. Before you can discuss that it would seem to this hick from Fly-Over-Land you need some consensus on what a day pass means and requirements to make it work for the MOA.

IIRC Sue and some others have alluded to things that may make day passes workable for some sites but not others; security may be just one of many. Again, before you say yea or nay I believe there is a good deal more talking about the requirements and goals for the idea before you tear it down.

Wristbands are not the be all and end all for this idea. There are many other ways to do this than wristbands. At this point I would not get hung up on them and their use.

For all the discussions about using bright colors, lights and reflective materials to make you and your rides visible; iam amazed how many want to hide the rally star under a bucket.

this hick from Fly-Over-Land

Since most of the folks responding to this thread are from "fly-over-land", how, specifically, are you trying to differentiate yourself with that description?

Just asking? ;)

Fly-Over-Land (FOL) is normally thought of in geographic terms. In the U.S. The vast majority of the people live within a coastal belt about 100 miles wide, as the crow flies, from any of the coasts. FOL is the area in between.

A less common use of FOL is in association with how people think and approach developing an idea or problem solving. In incredibly simplistic terms the FOL thinker focuses on the what and how of developing an idea with knowledge there will be problems to think through and deal with in the process. They get on with framing the idea and roughing it in, on paper or by tinkering, before they ever think about killing the idea. You will find FOL thinkers all over the world if you look and listen. FOL thinkers have wastebaskets, basements and garages full of 'how would I do...' prototype projects that didn't work or we're replaced by a better solution.

I don't see an issue so far offered as an isurmountble deal buster that could not be dealt with by asking when why and how to offer day passes instead of why not.

Last edited:
In case you were wondering .... Your Rally Chairs for the 2015 Rally in Billings are also monitoring this discussion.

Ultimately, this is a Board decision. Be assured this will be discussed and decided prior to 2015.

I hope to see you all in Billings next year....
If you like riding in the mountains, this will be the one you don't want to miss.

LOGO small.jpg

In case you were wondering .... Your Rally Chairs for the 2015 Rally in Billings are also monitoring this discussion.

Ultimately, this is a Board decision. Be assured this will be discussed and decided prior to 2015.

I hope to see you all in Billings next year....
If you like riding in the mountains, this will be the one you don't want to miss.

View attachment 46144

Thx, Sue. As I said in the OP of this thread, I would love to see you in Billings next year ... for ONE DAY of the rally. Then I intend to do some of that great mountain riding you mention above before heading back home to my little piece of FOL (fly over land, that area between the Adirondacks and the Rockies).

I know that will not work for most sites. This year the SITE was the campground:laugh You could camp anywhere.

Regardless of security I know for sure at least 2 people got into the MSF site without paying. (no armband)....If I'm aware of 2, there were probably more. Both of these were in cars....the driver flashed the wristband and was permitted entry. Passenger was not paid. (this despite the "rule" of no cars after Wed)

I've attended a lot of National Rallies and volunteered at all....some sites have gate challenges, and I don't think different colored bands would work without tightening up on security....(volunteers).. Still think 1/2 price on Saturday afternoon (no door prize tickets) would allow prospective members to get a good look at who we are, and what we offer with minimal impact on volunteers.

Full price

I have always stayed at the rally for the entire event; but I see the need for allowing some folks in on a day pass. I did get a chuckle out of the volunteer who thought his rally fees would be waived for volunteering. I know some here who have volunteered at every rally for years. I would have hated to lose their money.:laugh

I know that will not work for most sites. This year the SITE was the campground:laugh You could camp anywhere.

Regardless of security I know for sure at least 2 people got into the MSF site without paying. (no armband)....If I'm aware of 2, there were probably more. Both of these were in cars....the driver flashed the wristband and was permitted entry. Passenger was not paid. (this despite the "rule" of no cars after Wed)

I've attended a lot of National Rallies and volunteered at all....some sites have gate challenges, and I don't think different colored bands would work without tightening up on security....(volunteers).. Still think 1/2 price on Saturday afternoon (no door prize tickets) would allow prospective members to get a good look at who we are, and what we offer with minimal impact on volunteers.

I have worked several music festivals with wristbands as entry ticket. Yes, I volunteered. No it wasn't terribly difficult. Yes, I did have to check bags for food/beverages/other prohibited items. No, it wasn't a lot of my life wasted. Yes, I spent a lot of the day sitting in the shade listening to the bands at my gate :dance

Admittedly, the rolling stop was interesting entering the rally grounds, but it isn't a huge inconvenience for taking the care and time to help ensure a peaceful, safe rally. Now if the TSA could only get as effective as our volunteers...:scratch

Back