• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Problem with Kisan Signal Minder, 2004 R1150GSA,

jurgen

Daily Rider
All,

I have a problem with the Kisan Signal Minder (SM5) on my 2004 R1150GSAdv.

I have had the SM5 installed since 2007 and it's been working without any issues until last week.

Now, the turn signal gets canceled prematurely, sometimes after 1 flash, sometimes aftert three flashes, sometimes after six flashes. It's erratic and unpredictable.

It seems as if someone was pressing the cancel button prematurely.

- The SM5 works fine with the engine not running. As soon as I start the engine, the problem appears.

- Problem occurs on both sides - no difference.

- All other functions of the SM5 work except the brake hold.

- I tried a different SM5 unit that I know is working - same problem.

- A stock flasher relay works fine.

- I took apart the right side control unit and examined the microswitches. No obvious issues here.

- I checked the resistance of the cancel switch against ground - same as the right and left turn signal switches. All switches look OK to me.

- The problem is repeatable so it's unlikely due to a loose connection.

- I replaced all 4 bulbs (even though they were working fine).

Any suggestions? Where should I start to hunt this down?

Thanks in advance

Kisan Signal Minder

I had a problem with mine and I called Kisan. The guy I talked to was extremely friendly and had me return the the unit for repair. They never told me what was wrong with it, they just sent me a new one. No problem at all very happy with their service. Give them a call.:thumb

did you check the cancel switch

on the handlebar? Sometimes they get dirty and get stuck in the cancel position. don't ask me how, but mine has....

on the handlebar? Sometimes they get dirty and get stuck in the cancel position. don't ask me how, but mine has....

yes, I took the switch apart and the microswitch unit seems to be working fine. My tests with the Ohmmeter found no problems with the switch.

Back