• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Prevent fuel line fraying

THOMASPIN

Airhead
I use braided cloth covered fuel line on my R90/6 and came across this handy tip in a decade old posting on the Adventure Rider forum.

A short length of heat shrink tubing is installed over the end of the line - I find that the fuel hose connection to the gas tank is the first to fray as that gets most on/off action as the gas tank has to be removed to access the brake fluid reservoir for periodic maintenance.

Here's how my frayed end looks (top) along with a length of heat shrink tubing, available in your choice of color on https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=heat+shrink+tubing:

IMG_8709.JPG

The outside diameter of the braided fuel line is 0.46" (12mm) so you want tubing with an inside diameter slightly larger.

With the fuel line removed from the bike for safety, a few seconds with a heat gun does the trick. Probably best to avoid open flame heat sources for the sake of safety; a hair dryer should also do the trick:

IMG_8710.JPG

Here's the fuel hose installed on the bike - it makes for a neat look:

IMG_8712.jpg

At the time the original post was written on the Adventure Rider site, the poster stated he had had 5 years trouble free use from this fix.

That is a clean look.
I replace fuel line every 2 years and leave about an inch extra slack between the crossover/in-line filter and petcock. Then if it gets frayed it can be trimmed off.
An alternative to heat shrink is a dab of liquid tape.
Also a washer between the petcock and hose makes the hose easier to remove, and your fingers aren't touching the fabric to cause it to fray.
Bill

fuel hose1.jpg

That metal washer on your petcock will wear through the soft petcock metal eventually. I realized this after doing the same thing for a season and noticed the washer were notching out my petcock outlets. I bought some thick black nylon ones to replace the metal ones. Works just as well and does not wear the petcock metal. Gel black ones. Much like white zip ties the sun will get them. Black ones last much much longer in the sun. :thumb

That metal washer on your petcock will wear through the soft petcock metal eventually. I realized this after doing the same thing for a season and noticed the washer were notching out my petcock outlets. I bought some thick black nylon ones to replace the metal ones. Works just as well and does not wear the petcock metal. Gel black ones. Much like white zip ties the sun will get them. Black ones last much much longer in the sun. :thumb

Brilliant

The washer in the photo is copper, it is on a Heinrich tank petcock with horizontal barb. I haven't seen any damage to either petcock yet. (it's a tight fit)
I have used nylon, delrin, neoprene, and regular/stainless steel washers for 47+ years without any noticeable damage to vertical barb petcocks.
There are Delrin washers on my GSPD.
Bill

fuel hose 2.jpg

Last edited:
The washer in the photo is copper, it is on a Heinrich tank petcock with horizontal barb. I haven't seen any damage to either petcock yet. (it's a tight fit)
I have used nylon, delrin, neoprene, and regular/stainless steel washers for 47+ years without any noticeable damage to vertical barb petcocks.
Bill

View attachment 72526

I read about this problem in an email on the AirList by Tom Cutter who has replaced petcocks that had metal washers on them. So I took a look at mine and there was indeed wear on the spigots. I was using galvanized metal washers. I've checked them again after two years with the plastic ones and no wear.

For me, seeing is believing. Vibration probably plays a role here I really don't know.

But copper IS quite soft and probably softer than the alloy the petcocks are made of.
But since copper is more expensive than plastic... some crusty airheads might complain it's not a proper "airhead" solution. :gerg

Fuel line

I use braided cloth covered fuel line on my R90/6 and came across this handy tip in a decade old posting on the Adventure Rider forum.

A short length of heat shrink tubing is installed over the end of the line - I find that the fuel hose connection to the gas tank is the first to fray as that gets most on/off action as the gas tank has to be removed to access the brake fluid reservoir for periodic maintenance.

Here's how my frayed end looks (top) along with a length of heat shrink tubing, available in your choice of color on https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=heat+shrink+tubing:

The outside diameter of the braided fuel line is 0.46" (12mm) so you want tubing with an inside diameter slightly larger.

With the fuel line removed from the bike for safety, a few seconds with a heat gun does the trick. Probably best to avoid open flame heat sources for the sake of safety; a hair dryer should also do the trick:

Here's the fuel hose installed on the bike - it makes for a neat look:

At the time the original post was written on the Adventure Rider site, the poster stated he had had 5 years trouble free use from this fix.

Really nice look

What I used to cover the fraying ends were the crimp finals that are used when making hoses. You can get them at a shop that makes custom hoses, pretty inexpensive. They slip right over the ends, the only mod I had to make was to enlarge the hole on the end a bit to fit over the barb.

Attachments

• Hoseend1.JPG
    Hoseend1.JPG
    97.9 KB · Views: 131
  • hoseEnd.JPG
    hoseEnd.JPG
    89.5 KB · Views: 132
Or, use Tygon fuel line. Soft, stays pliable, and fits tight without need for clamps. Just another option, i got tired of the braided stuff hiding the rotten rubber underneath, until it started to leak. I think the Tygon resists the ethanol better than the braided stuff too. My take on it. YMMV.

Attachments

• Fuel filter-2.jpg
    Fuel filter-2.jpg
    215.8 KB · Views: 127
I'll just throw is this for general information.

The left side petcock is subject to damage by the choke cables. I found mine as a result of a wet boot.

Petcock wear.JPG
with apologies for the horrible image...

I'll just throw is this for general information.

The left side petcock is subject to damage by the choke cables. I found mine as a result of a wet boot.

You can mitigate that issue by placing a small length of fuel line over the offending choke cable. I split mine longitudinally to install, along with a couple of cable ties.

IMG_8733.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_8733.jpg
    IMG_8733.jpg
    207.5 KB · Views: 86
Get some real 6mm rubber fuel hose and forget that fabric covered crap.

AFAIK Airhead fuel line is 7mm, not 6. At least it is for my RS and G/S.

I see a lot of inch size fuel line on Airheads because it is easy to find in auto part stores and it's cheap. But it never fits properly...

FWIW which is not much
I like the the old VW cloth covered fuel line.
I just like the way it feels and looks.
YMMV

I know a lot of people have had issues with the BAI fuel line sold by the Bing Agency. In my case, it was the best fuel line purchases I've made. I bought a couple lengths of it at the Bing booth in Redmond OR during the MOA rally there in 2010.

I put it on my RS that same year and on my G/S a couple years later. Both bikes still have those black BAI fuel lines on them. It has never cracked, split, deformed or failed me in any way. Although I've read a LOT of posts here and on ADV stating it is crap and will not last etc etc this has simply never happened on my bikes.

I am at a loss to explain this other than I wonder if there is a LOT more ethanol in the gas in places where the failures seem to happen consistently. I know Anton in Virginia has mentioned failures and many eastern Airheads won't use it but also in places out west. We have 10% ethanol in all our gas up here in Canada except here in BC where 94 Octane non ethanol fuel is available at Chevron and Shell stations. My G/S is lower compression and designed to run on just about anything you can find all over the world. It runs just fine on regular ethanol laced gas.

I like the fit, the look and how easy it is to remove when you need the tank off. I just put nylon washers between the line end and the petcock. Push it backwards, it expands the line a bit and it slide off like butter. It will not come off if you just yank on it and requires no clamps whatsoever. What's not to like? Well, all those failures and split lines at inconvenient places for sure but again, it is just not happening in my case.

Go figure! :dunno

Back