• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Poor Starting RT: Battery, Gasoline or Plugs?

roger 04 rt

Late in April I put my ‘04 RT (dual plug) on “ice” for the summer in Naples and left it on its own to struggle through Hurricane Irma. I filled the tank with Premium, and put it on a non-AGM trickle charger (weekly 4 hour timer).

When I got back 6 months later the first start was a bit sluggish but it ran pretty good (or so I thought at first) and so I mentally wrote off the slow start as cobwebs. Unfortunately the cobwebs got thicker and it also began to have a barely noticeable hesitation when I rolled on acceleration (surely I was imagining that). Then last week it took three presses of the starter button first thing in the morning to get it going.

I finally got out the GS-911, LogWorks software for the LC-1 to record AFR, Harmonizer and pulled off all the plastic so I could work out what was going on. My motivation was low because I’m also seriously thinking about a low mileage 2015/16 R1200RTW. But since I’d have to fix the 04 to sell it and because I couldn’t stand not knowing, I got myself in gear, one cold start per day.

Day 1
My first look was at the GS-911 cold start data and log—no errors, data looks good. Next, I looked at the LC-1 cold start log of AFR—leaner than normal during the poor start period but nicely settled in at lambda=0.92 (13.5:1) once warmed up. From my experience measuring cold start AFR, the leanness at cold start is usually due to poor ignition. My stick coils are fairly new but the plugs were 2 1/2 years old so I put in new bottom plugs which I had lying around since they are problematic on the dual spark (all four plugs actually looked great but a little warn). New plugs did nothing. (Note: the hotter NGK DCPR6E lower plugs looked really good and I’ll stick with them.)

Day 2
Since I had the Harmonizer out and it had been a while since a TB balance I dialed out a small amount of l/r error and boosted the idle about 75 rpm—no effect on starting the next morning.

Day 3
Thinking about whether charging the battery for 6 months, once per week on a low voltage trickle affected the battery but set that idea aside as I’d put 150 miles on the bike since returning and my VR is modified for AGM—and since my good charger was up North. At this point that nagging idea that the gasoline sat through a Florida summer and is now about 7 months old reached the surface when the low fuel light came on. And I know at least half of you reading this have been thinking “drain the tank and put new fuel in”, since the first sentence.

I filled the tank with Premium, added 6 ounces of Techron Concentrate and rode 100 miles into the Everglades and back at good speed on Rt 41.

Day 4
The bike started normally in about a second and idled smoothly. I’ll run a couple tanks of fuel laced with Techron and call it a day. Was it fresh fuel or Techron? I’ll never know for sure since I added both at the same time.

I will also try to find ethanol free gas for next summer's storage. Store with a nearly empty tank and then fill up and add Techron at restart.

I will also try to find ethanol free gas for next summer's storage. Store with a nearly empty tank and then fill up and add Techron at restart.
Might be the best thing you can do for it. I have to travel down near the Sekonk Speedway to purchase non-ethanol racing fuel- $10.00/gal.
Expensive but worth it.
OM

I put my money on bad gas too. There are plenty of gas stations in S.Fl that sell REC90 non ethanol gas because of the boating industry. Before your next storage period you may want to run a few tanks full on that gas before putting the bike away for a while. Add Stabil to your last tank, ride for 20 miles or so and you’ll be good to go.

Outdoor Power Equipment Retailers

I get my ethanol free gas from a local outdoor power equipment company. I think all of them carry it "in-a-can".
My local guy has a storage tank and will dispense it into your own fuel container.

Roger I think your experience mirrors what I have seen with my 1100RT _many_ times in the spring after the bike has sat in my unheated shed over winter. I store the bikes with Chevron 94 octane non ethanol fuel and some years I've used Stabil; others not. I find it makes no discernable difference up here in Vancouver. So if the first starts and runs in the spring show a rough running machine I ignore it until that tank is all gone and a second or third tank has been used up. If the roughness and hard starting continues I get busy but that has only happened once in 5 or 6 years now.

I think it happens due to moisture in the fuel and the fuel itself gets skunky sitting in the lines, injectors, pump... A good run with Techron on the _second_ tank in spring usually clears everything up just fine and she's good to go anywhere, anytime. I also do my best to stick to the BMW maintenance schedule.

Injector Man

Hi Roger

I'm in Naples also and have used the Injector Man for a number of Injector cleanings. That may be a good step in the right direction. The good thing about his service is he is very affordable, quick and located right off 951 (formerly Collier Blvd) just North of Golden Gate Blvd. I hand deliver and pick up all my stuff, no shipping no lost injectors.

R 1100S BCR, HP-2 Enduro, R 1150 GSA and a R 850 R Scrambler project with nice clean injectors

That sounds good. It's been 4 or 5 years since I last had them cleaned and the O-Rings are original as far as I can tell.

And I just had a look--that's a great price.

Back