• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Pole Shed Find - 1974 R90/6

bmwscott

POLE2.jpgPOLE3.jpgPOLE4.jpgPOLE5.jpgPOLE6.jpgPOLE1.jpg

Hello everyone. I was able to find this Pole Shed (Pole Barn) 1974 R90/6 that has been sitting since 1996 from the original owner. He traveled the United States with it and put on 78K miles from 1974 to 1996. At this time, he moved into his current house and parked in the barn. After some power washing and removal of about 150 lbs of things I am not going to keep on it for the restoration, it is ready for some restoring. The engine currently seems to be stuck, but the seller assured me when he parked it, it was a runner. Hopefully this weekend I will be able to investigate the engine in more detail. First BMW motorcycle and really stoked to get into this project. Only part missing is the right side cover.

parts

You should keep the tool box that fits over the battery & the headlight should be able to go back on. Good luck!

Looks like a Luftmeister fairing so the turn signal pods are in the fairing. Unscrew the lens screws to get it all out.

Really nice find..….How did you try to turn the engine over???...…...Pull the plugs, put it in 4th or 5th and turn the rear wheel with the bike on the center stand…..Put something like a typical solvent that some can suggest and try turning it over. The condition that the tool kit is in tells a lot about what the internals of the engine are perhaps like...…..Good luck...

Update

Been a bit from the original post. I have been doing some work and diagnosed the problem. Stuck left piston and a crack in the cylinder liner. Right side looks good. Having the left side piston and cylinder replaced. Many other parts purchased and now waiting for the engine work to be complete. Just need to do the master cylinder and caliper rebuild. Here is a few pics of the progress.

Attachments

• 74BMW1.jpg
    74BMW1.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 343
  • 74BMW2.jpg
    74BMW2.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 345
  • 74BMW3.jpg
    74BMW3.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 342
  • 74BMW4.jpg
    74BMW4.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 343
  • 74BMW5.jpg
    74BMW5.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 337
  • 74BMW6.jpg
    74BMW6.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 340
R90/6

Been a bit from the original post. I have been doing some work and diagnosed the problem. Stuck left piston and a crack in the cylinder liner. Right side looks good. Having the left side piston and cylinder replaced. Many other parts purchased and now waiting for the engine work to be complete. Just need to do the master cylinder and caliper rebuild. Here is a few pics of the progress.

Once done, you'll have a bike that will outlive most people.

Don't forget to ask the P.O. if the tranny shifter spring was replaced/updated. I think it's called the pawl return spring. They all eventually break on '74 trannies and will leave you stuck in the last gear selected.

RickR90s

Good grief! Was this monstrous trailer hitch bolted onto that poor bike?

attachment.php

Please consider joining the Airheads Beemer Club. By doing that and contacting your state's Airmarshal, you will gain access to a collection of owners who are capable of giving you guidance on your project and maybe even "hands on" assistance. In Illinois, we have over a half a dozen members who know everything there is to know about these bikes.

Found some bags for her. Joined Airheads Beemers. Continue to search for a 74' cylinder.

Attachments

• 1974BMWR90:6A.jpg
    1974BMWR90:6A.jpg
    330.3 KB · Views: 199
What did you use on the engine & transmission cases

I'm always looking for the right stuff to get that clean but not shinny look on my post /2 bikes.

Stablemates to my R90/6 is my older brothers 71 R50/5 and my nephews 76 R75/6.

Attachments

• 71bmw.jpg
    71bmw.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 150
  • 76bmw.jpg
    76bmw.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 149
Trailer hitch removal

Great find. But now that you've removed the trailer hitch, you can't use it for plowing.... ;-) I assume you'll be rebuilding the carburetors. It's an easy job and necessary after sitting for so long. There is a great youtube video on the rebuild that I used for my '87 R80.

Back