• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Pin Stripe Questions - 1974 R90/6

K

Kirbster919

I'm looking at picking up a 1974 R90/6. I know enough about airheads to assess the mechanical condition of the bike, but I don't know enough about /6 bikes to know what one should look like.

The bike originally had a black toaster tank (included, but not on the bike). Shouldn't there be pinstripes on the fenders? I haven't seen the bike in person yet, but did BMW ever make a similar bike without pinstripes? I was told by the seller that the bike came without them, but I'm having an awfully hard time believing that.

Here's a picture of the bike:

Slash6.jpg

Thanks in advance!

That's what I think. So another question, did /6 bikes even come with toaster tanks? I really don't know much about /6 bikes, and I think I'm getting my wires crossed here.

I have a 1974 R90/6.

The front and rear fenders and battery covers would originally have been the same color as the tank.

The front and rear fenders would have had pin stripes.

The battery covers would have had a decal on each side showing 900 cc.

As I understand it, for the /6 1974 year only, the top part of the battery covers was black (the top 1" approx).

Barron

Also, looks like the turn signals might have been replaced (or painted black?). The 1974 had aluminum turn signals.

One more thing - the 1974 originally had a kick start transmission. I think, starting with 1975 - no more kick start.

Barron

The battery covers would have had a decal on each side showing 900 cc.

As I understand it, for the /6 1974 year only, the top part of the battery covers was black (the top 1" approx).

I've heard that the decal was given with the bike, as an option for the owner to put in on the battery cover. Don't know it it's true.

I am not sure about the black top on the battery cover. I have a blue '74 R90/6, and it came with some absolutely trashed covers, but I don't remember seeing the black that you mention.

Edit: Hmm, it looks like there is a black stripe in this picture:

R90-6%201974%20-%20Brochure.jpg

Never noticed that before.

I had heard that those couple of things differentiated the 1974 /6 models from the 1975 and 1976s - black top border on the battery covers, kick start transmission, and aluminum (polished) turn signals. Little bits and pieces from the first model year.

Barron

Thanks for the help. While I'm pretty hesitant now, what's a ballpark of the bike's worth? It's got 60k miles on it, I'm willing to bet it needs some rubber bits replaced, but it is supposed to be a solid runner.

This might not be a bike for me, but for the right price I'd still go for it.

That's about what I was thinking. We'll see, but I don't think this bike is one for me.

/6 2 grand?

What switches are on the bike? Does it have a kickstarter?
my 74 /6 has the old style /5 switches.
I always was suspicious that the bike had been wrecked but was told that actually early 74's came with the /5 switches. As far as I know all the 74's came with aluminum turn signals though.

Still if the bike runs well and is sound otherwise I think it would be worth a good bit more than 2k. I paid 4k for mine and probably have spent close to another thousand on it and while it looks good in pictures it certainly isn't cherry.

My '74 R90/6 has a kickstart. I understand it is the last year for them and you shouldn't use it due to the soft mettalurgy of the gear. It has pinstripes, solid black bat. covers w/900cc decals. Old /5 style switches.

nuts and bolts.....

I believe that some nuts and bolt heads on the '74/6 are chrome plated. I can see it on mine. Not that it counts for much. Minor differences.

I always was suspicious that the bike had been wrecked but was told that actually early 74's came with the /5 switches.

Both my '74 /6's have the early controls, and kickstarter, and aluminum turn signals.

I haven't really heard much definitive talk on the range of use of the aluminum ones. I figured most older ones had 'em.

Drummer Dude--absolutely true about the optional application of the stickers to the battery cover. When my '75 R90S came in, the dealer asked me if I wanted the stickers put on. Practice probably varied from dealer to dealer.

I have a late 1974 R90/6 and guess what no kickstart. Maybe some swapping of parts at the factory at end of production year. I have an all #'s match bike.

Both my '74 /6's have the early controls, and kickstarter, and aluminum turn signals.

I haven't really heard much definitive talk on the range of use of the aluminum ones. I figured most older ones had 'em.
Used to follow CrazyDrummerDude's restoration here back in the day....how long has it been?

I don't think a /5 toaster tank would fit properly on a /6. The /6 tank large and small have indents or reliefs on the bottom to allow clearance for the master cylinder, it would be a very uncomfortable fit to jam a /5 gas tank without relocating the master cylinder.

Back