• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Online Parts Retailers

fastfwd

I'm a new owner of a R 1250 RS and I am considering replacing the clear windshield with a tinted one. I actually like the BMW factory tinted windshield, but I've learned that those are not for sale in the United States (where I live). So, I'm curious what advice I may receive regarding the possibility of purchasing one from an online European parts dealer and having it shipped to me. Are there some that are notorious that should be avoided, etc?

The actual part number if it matters is this one: 46638403972

I did search a few regional BMW dealers to see if they had one hanging around, but no.

Thanks!

I'm a new owner of a R 1250 RS and I am considering replacing the clear windshield with a tinted one. I actually like the BMW factory tinted windshield, but I've learned that those are not for sale in the United States (where I live). So, I'm curious what advice I may receive regarding the possibility of purchasing one from an online European parts dealer and having it shipped to me. Are there some that are notorious that should be avoided, etc?

I did search a few regional BMW dealers to see if they had one hanging around, but no.

Thanks!

I think it is available in Canada.

I bought a used tinted R1250RS shield from a guy who purchased it from a European dealer.
I emailed him to see if he remembers the name of the dealer.
Like Paul mentioned, check with a Canada dealer.

Welcome to the forum.

Thanks!

Have you checked with Bohling in Germany - a good source for side cases too.

https://www.bmw-motorrad-bohling.com/bmw-windscreeen-tinted-r1250rs-2019.html

Thanks for the replies. That gives me a few new ideas to check into. I'm not 100% sure an aftermarket option might not work, but if I can find a discount on the factory part it would certainly help. I was just really afraid of any notoriously bad online dealers that I should possibly be aware of and if there any known trusted sources.

Thanks again!

If you find a used R1200RS tinted shield it will fit.
I have a R1200RS shield on my R1250RS and my wife has a R1250RS shield on her R1250RS.

The dimensions of the R1200RS shield are the same except it's about 1/2 inch wider where I drew the red line in my picture.
R1200RS tinted shield red line.jpg

The dimples for the 4 screws on the 1250RS shield are a little deeper to move the shield out more from the fairing. I'm guessing BMW did this to get more air up the back side of the shield to help breakup any back pressure.
I'm not able to notice any difference between the two shields when riding.

One more option is paint the back side of the shield black. I've done this on two shields and it looks good.
I painted my 1250 shield before I found the used R1250RS tinted shield.
The front bike has the painted shield. I left the top lip clear.
R1200RS tinted and painted.jpg

You can also buy "tint" spray, something a lot of people used to do with tail lights on cars... It's a translucent lacquer that can be put on in multiple coats until the tint is the desired darkness. Might be a little more difficult to make even than either window tint film or just black.

Does the exposure to the elements rule out having a tint shop use their window tinting? Boats get their windows tinted somehow too though. I'm sure a shop would do it, but I'm curious if that would be throwing money away to have it done?

Back