• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

OK to crank engine with spark plugs connected resting on the cylinders?

Depends

LOL, it depends on the motorcycle. At least we are dealing with a robust simple system. The best part is pretty much everything is easy access.

As for modern motorcycles I don't know about simple, some of the control systems are getting to be as complex as some of the cars on the road. Still I would rather work on a modern motorcycle where there is still more accessibly than under the hood of a car. St.

Milo, I found myself musing your problem last night.

First, Forget all I blathered on about roll starting and kick starting, and even a dead battery having enough power to produce spark. This may be true as long as you are NOT trying to engage the starter at the same time.

IF you think your battery is near death, either replace it, take it out and have it load tested at an Autozone or other shop to get an idea if it is good or not. But I broke the first rule of troubleshooting. Always have a good battery.

If you are certain the battery is good, and the engine cranks over as it should during normal starting. At that point troubleshooting can begin. So if this problem started only after you washed the bike and you had a good battery. Start looking at the coil and stuff.

I know, I am rambling and sometimes do. Alex has provided an excellent picture of a cracked coil from that range year bike. LOL, I almost remember the coils prone to failure were gray and the later improved or replacement ones were another color but don't take my word on that, I imagine things all the time. St.

Steve hit the nail with that comment. The issue began right after washing the bike.

Wet spark plug wires; wet spark plug cap(s); wet coil; wet ignition sensor; wet condenser... You did wash the whole bike at the same time...

I really don't recall any "fusible link" on these, unless you mean the charging cable at the alternator/regulator? Item 12 on the MAX fiche.

"moisture got into a fuse and it's shorted" ... B/S.

Last edited:
Alex has provided an excellent picture of a cracked coil from that range year bike. LOL, I almost remember the coils prone to failure were gray and the later improved or replacement ones were another color but don't take my word on that, I imagine things all the time.

The BMW rider I diagnosed his poorly running BMW was on his way to the Finger Lakes Rally...usually around the Labor Day weekend I think it was. I was there to pick up a BMW order as many of our Canadian members would ship to his place for a pick-up (free shipping in the US and free beer).

Anyway, he waited till I got there, picked up my BMW order and off he went in the rain to the rally. Minutes later, he was back with a poorly running BMW. After some DMM testing, within a half hour, I noted the crack in his ignition coil. The photo further up this thread is my cracked grey coil off my 1990 BMW R100 GS.

The new style coil is black despite all the beer you drank and you imagining things. I'm just having a German pretzel and a bottle of Lezajsk beer.

Bosch 0 221 500 203 Ignition Coil - Rear-XL.jpg

Moisture

LOL, I don't get to poke around too much with post 84 bikes. So far my local airhead shop has not had a cracked coil issue in his shop.

By now I would assume any issues with water or moisture from the washing would be gone. I did forget to ask, I assumed the washing was done with the gas tank on the bike and the electrical stuff that used to be protected in the headlight shell on the older bikes was partly protected from direct spray by the tank.

I am really hoping as of today that the bike is running and being ridden. LOL forum, is not like phone or text. My fingers are crossed for the better. St.

Back