• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

OEM Grips, Heated

jhall

BMWMOA #24809
I plan to replace the factory heated grips with aftermarket ones. The main reason is so I can install bar end weights, which are needed to anchor the, "Knuckle Warmers" which are similar to Hippo Hands. Though the air is minimal blowing on the hands, the Knuckle Warmers make a significant difference. Also, I do not care for the ribbed surface of the OEM grips. Can install Grip Puppies on either, but probably not till spring, as they will likely reduce the heat transfer of the heated grips. I ordered Oxford Premium Touring grips, which come with a heat troller. But my experience is that they are cheap, and only last 1-2 seasons at most. So I plan to use the RT's original HI/LOW switch instead.

To Replace OEM Grips Or Not

Hi AdamLivi,
I appreciate the links, but have already bought Oxford heated grips, which also have a good rep. But I am now on the fence about replacing the OEM heated grips, as it would take away from the bike's stone stock appearance. But I dislike the OEM grips' texture and the deep rib design. Recently, riding in heavy crosswinds, I discovered the deep ribs serve as heat escapes, and turn perfectly toasty feeling grips into luke warm in a matter of minutes. So your grip wraps look a good idea, not to mention the improved feel. I may give them a try.

Thanks Much,
Joe H

Gloves?

Joe, have you thought about just getting rid of the heated grips and going to heated gloves instead? I have had discussions with riding friends regarding the pros and cons of this. While I like my stock heated grips, I can also see the advantage of heated gloves over grips. One advantage of the gloves is better heat distribution on the whole hand not just the points in contact with the heated grips.

For some reason this winter I have not been riding as much but I may just go and buy a pair of heated gloves, if I can find a pair I like. Then with the heated grips and the heated gloves, I can toast my opposable thumbs. LOL, St.

I like having both options. in Arkansas U can ride pretty much year round. I use both heated grips and gloves at different times as needed.

Heated Gloves V. Heated Grips

I have tried heated gloves and do not care for the bulk. I much prefer heated grips with something akin to, "Hippo Hands" to keep the wind off and create a still pocket of air for the hands. To date, my favorite version is, "Knuckle Warmers". With still air, the heated grips work much better. I have also used Knuckle Warmers, heated gloves & grips simultaneously when riding in 20s' temps, but don't expect to push it much below 30 nowadays. Getting too old. LOL

Last edited:
Heated Grips & Knuckle Warmer Combo

I rode for about 250 miles today, temps ranged 38-44F. I was able to make the Knuckle Warmers work with the OEM grips, so no need to install the aftermarket Oxfords. The KWs provide a still air pocket, so the grips do a very good job. Without the KWs, wind tends to wisk the hot air away from the grooves in the ribbed grips. Only problem is, as others have mentioned, the HI/LOW switch offers heat either too hot or too cool. If the switch had a MEDIUM setting, it would be perfect. I find myself alternating the setting about every 20-30 minutes. I have attached a pic below of the KWs installed on the bike.

Tomorrow's high is supposed to be 38, and I am looking forward to another ride. I layer up, with heated pants and coat as 2nd layer. Don't need to turn the electrics on (other than the grips) till temp drops below 40. That seems to be about the break point for me. 20210102_134530.jpg

Back