• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Not really "New New"

But I'm pulling the trigger on a R1200GS to hit the top end of the StarRucks adventure trail which tests the intestinal fortitude and mental toughness required by the men and women of high caliber who choose to grab paper coffee cups without the cardboard sleeves.

I had a '08 R1200RT which was a nice ride after I rode an Ultra Classic. I found I was too thin for it and my wife was too attractive to own a HOG. Besides, I couldn't afford the truck and trailer I needed to be taken seriously. The T-shirts alone were taking a bite out of my wallet and the choice between food and chrome was impacting my marriage.

So I got a F800GT. Nice bike and great for one ups but I need gadgets and more trunk space for carrying coffee and such. Seriously, it's a good bike and I'll kinda miss it since I can't talk the wife into keeping it. One thing, it feels light and a windy day makes your sphincter tighten up like the drawstring of a full bag of wet laundry. No cruise control and throttle locks are just annoying to me. I thought it would work for me, but after begging the wife for two hours to ride around one hour it helps with the wind but no as planted as a say bigger bike. I feel fine on it, but it's really hard to go from beef to tofu when your a meat eater and get high on gluten.

I'm a fool for good wind protection and I've heard it's okay but no where near the RT. I do like the nanny mode for a 52 year's body with the mind of a 21 year old. Rain mode, ESA and ABS pro with linked brakes. One thing is there's a wealth of information and farkles for these things. Another is one dealer in the state. I've got enough mad skillz for general wrenching and the ole K75S tests me occasionally before I get pissed and head over to motobrick.com and lurk and bitch.

I did have a nagging issue with the RT. It would stall occasionally and scare the crap out of the wife. It was still a good bike but it's the only bike I had issues with. Funny thing is it would only stall with her on it. She's 130 pounds of pure "What! Another bike?!? We talked about this!" when soaking wet. I reply "Yeah we talked and I never get the right answer."

People rave about these bikes and Hog owners look at them funny when they're polishing chrome and standing with friends in the driveway talking about where they'll trailer them next year.

I'm going for the low suspension with various cases cause my wife always buys things and my legs are 29 3/8 inches in Scheisse Stompers. I'll hit B road when the GPS screws me or when I have to report Timmy fell into the well.

Any issues, advice? Can this thing take a StarRucks journey? Do I really to get BMW apparel to ride this? I admit I didn't have BMW riding gear or a roo suit for the other Beemers. Was that a bad thing? I had a HJC full face helmet on the Harley and people thought I borrowed the bike or something or my wife was my hot sister. I didn't ride with flip-flops and shorts on the Ultra so I wasn't a real poser and I don't have a medical practice giving root canals to people with good dental plans. Anyhow, I don't go to tanning booths or have teeth veneers. Prolly can't pay for them after this anyway.

I'll be eating soup twice a week after this and paying for K bike parts.

Any advice with and without the snark I included appreciated.

The nicest part of my Harley is the free tshirt they gave me when I bought it. Would love to find some BMW shirts made the same way if anyone knows a source. The HD is going to be sold now that I have a 2003 K1200RS but I am definitely keeping the tshirt.

The nicest part of my Harley is the free tshirt they gave me when I bought it. Would love to find some BMW shirts made the same way if anyone knows a source. The HD is going to be sold now that I have a 2003 K1200RS but I am definitely keeping the tshirt.

Aren't there laws against that?

Back