• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

No Rear PR4???

Bdiver

Sign Guy
Time for new tires and I've been using the Michelin Pilot Road 3's this past time and got some decent mileage out of them ~12K+ So I'm looking for the newer PR4's and I can get the front but not the rear? :scratch 160/60-18 for my RT1100RT. Since I live in the Pacific North Wet I'd like to get both but I'll try the PR4 front and the PR3 rear since that seems to be the only option.

Looks like we need to write Michelin and ask them to make a 160/60-18 for us.

The 160/60-18 sized tire is not used by many bikes at all. Thus, when i googled it, I found 7 choices on BikeBandit. Doing the same thing with the more common, and current (remember, your R1100 is now 15 years old, + or - a few weeks) 170/60 -17 and I got a page full, 39 tires.

Buy a new bike, or "suffer" with the PR3s.
btw- even when your R11RT was new, BMW was shifting over to other more generally used sized wheels/tires.

Time for new tires and I've been using the Michelin Pilot Road 3's this past time and got some decent mileage out of them ~12K+ So I'm looking for the newer PR4's and I can get the front but not the rear? :scratch 160/60-18 for my RT1100RT. Since I live in the Pacific North Wet I'd like to get both but I'll try the PR4 front and the PR3 rear since that seems to be the only option.

Looks like we need to write Michelin and ask them to make a 160/60-18 for us.

bumped into that this week at my tire seller. dang! i think a 17" wheel can be had for our rides, but---:dunno. who ya gonna call? b

I installed a used rear K1200LT 17" rim & tire on a R1100RT. You need to use the bolts that go with the rim you use.

My R1100s has the 170/55/17 " tire and rim combination. This is the way the bike comes from the factory unless it is a BoxerCup bike then it has a 180 width tire on a 6" rim. The 170 width tire fits on a 5.5" rim. This particular tire and rim combination is also used on some of the K bikes. So I see no reason why you can put the 17" rim and tire on your bike. I don't know if any of the other parts like the speed sensor would be any different but I doubt it. If in doubt just check the bmw part numbers and see if there is any difference between the bikes for the non tire and rim parts.

Back