• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

No Noise Ear Plugs

ricochetrider

Out There Somewhere
After a bit of reading, and after many years of using throw-away foam earplugs for riding, I bit the bullet to try some No Noise brand noise attenuating (or cancelling?) ear plugs. :ear
Bought em from Revzilla- after logging in, I found I had 30.0 in Revzilla "cash" from making previous purchases. whee.
Total cost was reduced basically to shipping, about $7.40.

So, although I'm already darn near "deef" as a post from many years of LOUD living.... :hungover
I am anxious to try these out and see how they work. :thumb

If I love these I will probably go back and buy a pair for work. I work in the Entertainment Industry and it can be quite loud, quite often.

:bar

I think they are a bit easier to properly place them. They definitely work better than an improperly placed foam ear plug.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I suggest a simple test that I do when evaluating new earplugs. Put one of the No Noise Ear Plugs in one ear and a foam plug in the other ear. Go for a ride and see which works the best. If the No Noise earplugs don't work as well, all you're out, is the shipping cost.

I did a quick search on the Internet to see what they were like. Revzilla didn't list the decibel rating of them, which I thought was "interesting", so I kept looking. I came across this chart that I've attached. http://www.earplugsguide.com/best-motorcycle-ear-plugs/

Best Motorcycle Ear Plugs Reviewed.jpg

Rider Magazine did a test on the No Noise Motosport earplugs, and mentioned this in the review:
NoNoise reports average sound attenuation of 17-30 dB, depending on frequency, which should reduce wind noise well below the 85 dB threshold.

That probably fits along with the chart's rating of 21 db of reduction.

Even a three decibel reduction can be very noticeable. FWIW, I use the Moldex Purafit and Howard Leight MAX1 earplugs.

Chris

I use the 3M Classic Ear Plugs. They are rated at 33 NRR. I ride with them. I sleep with them. I fly with them. :thumb

Is it not reasonable to think ear plugs can work too well?

I want to protect myself from hearing loss while still being able to hear as much as possible, such as, the sound of a car in the lane beside me, my Sena radio or the siren of a police or emergency response vehicle. I think the standard foam ear plugs will accomplish my goal. I wore them for 27 years in the army while subjected to millions of dollars in taxpayer (US and other countries') money being converted to loud noises and smoke. My audiologist tells me I have less than average hearing loss for a man of my extensive.... experience.

Full disclosure: I have two sets of custom made ear plugs. Bought one set through Sears and a second set wired for sound from a vender at the Salem rally. I cannot tolerate either pair for more than an hour because of the pain they cause. Guess I'm 0 for 2 when it comes to quality fitting and manufacture. So, I bought a box of these. Now I don't have to worry about where to put the plugs when I make a stop and with 100 pairs to work with, I'll probably be good for several years.

Full disclosure: I have two sets of custom made ear plugs. Bought one set through Sears and a second set wired for sound from a vender at the Salem rally. I cannot tolerate either pair for more than an hour because of the pain they cause.

I have the same set-up (one wired, one not) and find them the most comfortable way to go. I can wear them all day and then sleep in them if snore monsters are near-by. Mine were done by a vendor at the Finger Lakes Rally in 2012 or so.

My problem with foamies is that they often come unsealed while riding and you have to stop and futz with them.

Lee

akbeemer, I agree with your statement about being around loud noises. I was in aircraft maintenance for 12 years of Active Duty in the USAF and 14 years in the Air National Guard. I managed to protect my hearing throughout that and I'm anal about hearing protection.

OP, one other thought. When it comes time to replace the earplugs, you might check out some of the triple-flange earbud tip replacements on Amazon. These are Entymotics, but you can find cheaper ones with a quick search. http://www.amazon.com/PACK-WHITE-Re...6&sr=8-1&keywords=earbud+noise+isolating+tips

41w9wZL+cIL.jpg

If I understand their website correctly, the important part is the ceramic filter. I'll bet it is the same size as the earbud that fits inside the earbud tip. I purchased a package of them in various sizes for about $8. http://www.amazon.com/8pcs-Replacem...4723&sr=8-57&keywords=earbud+replacement+tips

Chris

I agree with Kevin: foamies work best for me. I used to use Howard Leights, now use Moldex Purafit; for me, they're equivalent. I too have tried molded-to-fit; they fit fairly well, but didn't attenuate nearly as well as the foam ones. While made by a motorcyclist, the molded-to-fit ones fouled my helmet padding.

As to foamies:

+ Cheap, buy them in a 200 wall dispenser, don't stress when they get dirty, just throw 'em away. I wear them at night, and have no difficulty with whole days, repeated, on the bike.

- Rarely I get them inserted poorly (particularly on the right side (where I have some damage to my ear and neck tissue) and choose to stop, remove my helmet, and put 'em in again. My fault, not theirs.

I bought a set of them a couple years ago at the Dallas show. I keep them on my key chain. I work around aircraft. I find that I use ear protection more than I did by always having them on me all the time.

Don

- Rarely I get them inserted poorly (particularly on the right side (where I have some damage to my ear and neck tissue) and choose to stop, remove my helmet, and put 'em in again. My fault, not theirs.

I find myself having to do that, especially early in the riding season, when I seem to have forgotten the right way to put the earplugs in. Key is to pull each ear back to straighten ear canal while inserting foam earplug.

Harry

One reason I like the No Noise is they are very easy to get in just right. I never could get the foam ones inserted well for some reason but these are easy.

One reason I like the No Noise is they are very easy to get in just right. I never could get the foam ones inserted well for some reason but these are easy.

Same with me. I was never able to use foam plugs for a full days ride (8-12 hours) due to inner ear pain. Also foam did not work for my communication devices since the volume had to be turned up too high and I even blew a speaker. The No Noise stay in, cut the wind noise a great deal and allow my communication (SMH10) to run at 'normal' volume levels that allow clear and recognizable voice communications to pass through. As in all things though - YMMV. :)

I've been using various types of foam ear plugs for about 13 years. Before that, when woodworking & cabinet making, I used some foam type earplugs on a neck "hoop" that were convenient because I could easily access them. For roughly 20 years of carpentry, I used nothing at all. Meanwhile concurrently, my spare time was filled with live music, chainsaws, guns, motorcycling, and other noise.
After all these years, I'm simply trying something new, something different- for motorcycling. I may go so far as to have something custom made for me. But first I'm trying the No Noise plugs, which a good many people have said positive things about.

The foam ear plugs have their downsides, which have been covered in the above posts.
Something not covered (but possibly alluded to) is consistency. Or INconsistency, as the case may be.

I don't (or haven't so far) listen to music while riding, BTW. But often do have to have a headset on and be able to hear commands and directives over loud music thru an open mic in my headset. If these No Noise work out for riding, I'll almost certainly step up to the music-specific ones and give them a try as well.

Thanks to all for your input. :thumb

No-noise makes ear plugs for different types of noise: motorcycle wind noise, loud music, and for shooters. I think they were originally developed for military use. I use the motorcycle No-Noise with my full face helmet and use foam plugs (3M 1100) with my modular helmet. No-noise are not as quiet with the modular.

Just came back from my annual flight physical. Hearing got worse, vision got worse. The audiologist told me to take as many of the "Quatro" ear plugs I wanted, I put four in the tank bag. Wore a pair home, noise reduction significantly greater than the foam I've been wearing. The Quatro is just the quadruple flange plugs like the triple flange we used to get back in the day in the army. I do everything I possibly can to protect my hearing and vision, these two senses seem to be declining despite my best efforts. Like many of you with military careers, my exposure to loud noise has been a constant since 1986. 4000 hours in a 58D doors off, most of it in the left seat (the IP seat) shooting .50 MG. for reference, the barrel of the gun is literally 3 feet to the left of my head. I could reach out and touch the muzzle.

Protect your hearing and vision boys and girls. When it's gone, it don't come back.

IMHO there is nothing better than these:

http://www.amazon.com/Worlds-Finest-Plug-12-pair-Personal/dp/B003GVTDQW

619SZYWXObL._SX522_.jpg

I have am extra large head and ears, and get 3 plugs out of 2 slugs, seat them well and you can't hear anything, in fact when you walk it sounds like you hear the stuff in your head sloshing around. Got the wife to try them this year and said she can't chew gum when she has them in because it sounds too weird.

If they do unseat when riding, slipping a finger under the helmet will re-seat them on the fly, no need to stop.

OK first ride down with the new plugs. Rode about 180 miles. The new plugs seem to work well. You have to make sure they're "seated" or in your ear properly. They do allow sounds thru the tiny ceramic "filter" but it isn't painful. At speeds above 60 MPH with the helmet visor open, it did seem to get a little loud, tho. Comfortable to have in all afternoon, and later, no ringing of the ears from helmet noise or wind whistle.

First impression result: like. :thumb

plugs.jpg

I tried NoNoise for a week...lost one piece... went back to a set from HD like the ones above. I cut the smallest nipple for a better fit. They get cleaned weekly with hand sanitizer. I've had them for years. The best and cheapest piece of motorcycle gear I've ever purchased.

Back