• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Next newbie question about early vs late parts - carb intake tube

brant914

2nd and last dumb question for today

I've been rebuilding the throttle and carbs on the 1971 R75/5 multi-year project

the "air funnel tube" that goes from the air cleaner box to the carb inlet
my old ones are silver

I see the new ones for sale are black... (at the places I've looked so far)

I'm assuming the black style were used on the later bikes, but may have been silver on the early years?

-anyone know if my assumption is correct?

-also... does anyone know if silver versions are still available anywhere....? (I'm trying to get the details correct on this bike)

thanks in advance
brant

Certainly, the silver air intake tubes were used on the 1971 models, likely into 1972 as well. I suspect the same part number was used for the silver and black so it's difficult to identify when the change was made. I've checked a few places and there isn't any indication of availability of the early version. Maybe at some used parts places.

I'm adding some context to the thread title for easier searching.

Silver to Gold?

Both of my 1971 R75/5 motorcycles had goldish colored air tubes from the airbox to the carburetors, but were originally silver as evidenced under the clamps. Apparently the sun/air/heat usually fades the original silver ones to the gold color. I painted my current tubes that were faded to gold with Rustoleum-for-Plastic gloss black since I like the look as attached photo shows.

Attachments

• RightCarburetorPic.jpeg
    RightCarburetorPic.jpeg
    48.8 KB · Views: 149
Both of my 1971 R75/5 motorcycles had goldish colored air tubes from the airbox to the carburetors, but were originally silver as evidenced under the clamps. Apparently the sun/air/heat usually fades the original silver ones to the gold color. I painted my current tubes that were faded to gold with Rustoleum-for-Plastic gloss black since I like the look as attached photo shows.

The air intake tubes were silver on all /5's from 1970 introduction through 1972, after which they were black. Change over dates on things like this were really soft back in the day as BMW would use up old parts until gone, or start with the replacement units sooner than announced if the old stock ran out. The problem with the silver air tube was that gasoline blowback and vapors from the carbs would turn them golden at and approaching the carb intakes. It would be the plastic that was stained and you couldn't clean them only repaint with varying degrees of success.

Ian Falloon has one picture in his book on the /5s showing a carb and air tube for a early /5. He says that the tube is silver indicating it is a 1970-1971 model. In Andy Schwietzer's book on the twin shock bikes, he has several nice pictures what appears to be 1971 models, and they both have silver tubes.

Ian Falloon has one picture in his book on the /5s showing a carb and air tube for a early /5. He says that the tube is silver indicating it is a 1970-1971 model. In Andy Schwietzer's book on the twin shock bikes, he has several nice pictures what appears to be 1971 models, and they both have silver tubes.

No argument here. I have Ian's book. I think some came gold, or turned gold? Just saying. When I got mine it was painted silver over the gold. I clean the paint off and left the cool gold!

Looking at the intake tubes on my /7, the black ones appear to start to turn grey/gold after 40+ years... patience and you'll get all of the colors!:p

I’m a Multicolor Guy in a Multicolor

My first Motorcycle was a ‘71 R50/5. When I purchased the bike, I was a total newbie to BMW’s. I did not know about the grey/silver/gold intake tubes. Over time thinking about it as something owner/riders thought important. I bought the bike as new. Over time the tubes changed colors. Giving thought to it, I finally decided it was due to either heat cycles or fuel contamination’s or both. As a bike being ridden, the color of the intake didn’t make any difference. If I was going to show the bike in competition; I would probably paint/coat the intake in grey/silver color. So just ride and enjoy the bike. Ps I can live with silver/grey/gold/black ; I’m a multicolor guy, in a multicolor world. :thumb

thanks for all of the info guys...
I started cleaning the previous owners mess last night.
really like the patina of the gold coloring...
one down, one to go

Attachments

• air.jpg
    air.jpg
    269.3 KB · Views: 29
Back