• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Newer rear wheel won't fit

snitzler

1983 R65, I got a newer rear wheel for the bike. The old wheel had a really loose driving dog and the rivets chewed up the rear wheel. So, I cleaned and greased the crown wheel gear and fitted the new rear wheel. Notice the gap, I torqued the axle nut to 33 ft lbs. and the gap remained. The crown wheel gear on the bike had some wear but I compared it to pictures of wear on other bikes and it didn’t look too bad. Is the newer wheel not going to fit because of the difference in wear between the newer rear wheel driving dog and the crown wheel gear? The rear brake is totally off, I can easily spin the wheel.

IMG_2712.JPG

R65

My understanding of the R65 bikes is they are a stand alone group. While parts from the bigger bikes might interchange among other models of the bigger bikes, R65 parts don't interchange with the bigger bikes.

So, my comment is did you get an R65 replacement wheel, or a wheel from one of the bigger bikes, if so, it may not fit your bike. St.

My understanding of the R65 bikes is they are a stand alone group. While parts from the bigger bikes might interchange among other models of the bigger bikes, R65 parts don't interchange with the bigger bikes.

So, my comment is did you get an R65 replacement wheel, or a wheel from one of the bigger bikes, if so, it may not fit your bike. St.

The P/N of the old wheel and the newer wheel are the same 36.311238052

I can't find that number on RealOEM. I do find the rear wheel as part number 36311238092. As a part number, it does appear to be a part that was used almost across the board for Airheads up to 1985.

R65

According the the microfiche, the rear wheel for a 83 R65 is 36 131 1 238 092. I do see this wheel fits various airheads up to 85 as well as the R65.

Where did your part number come from, I can't find it in a parts search. St.

According the the microfiche, the rear wheel for a 83 R65 is 36 131 1 238 092. I do see this wheel fits various airheads up to 85 as well as the R65.

Where did your part number come from, I can't find it in a parts search. St.

I got the p/n from the old wheel. The bike was running on the street so I know it worked.

Mostly, part numbers aren't embedded in the bike's parts. Those are more than likely mold numbers or batch numbers.

I think he is reading a mold or batch number. But if I am following this correctly, both the old and new wheel have the same number.

As for why the gap I have no clue. I looked in the Real OEM and didn't find a spacer that sould cause the gap, but it was a bit hard to search for it.

Pictures of the wheel on the bike and the new wheel. Not casting numbers but p/n. Casting numbers are else where on the wheel. No idea why the picts are upside down....

Old IMG_9666.jpg

New IMG_9664.jpg

Yeah, it's unfortunate that the number looks like a part number. No BMW part number has a "period" in it. Plus if you put that number into any online parts fiche, it comes back as a non-valid part number.

Yeah, it's unfortunate that the number looks like a part number. No BMW part number has a "period" in it. Plus if you put that number into any online parts fiche, it comes back as a non-valid part number.

True - but it is weird that the numeral sequence is exactly the same as the part number except for the next-to-last digit; a 5 instead of a 9

Back