• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

New Rider in St. Louis MO

Sparksrides

My dad got me a beat up old Cushman Eagle when I went away to college in 1966. He somehow obtained it from another truck driver. My roommate also had a new Honda C90 that I rode. In 1968 my draft deferment expired, so I enlisted in the U.S. Air Force. That ended my riding. For 44 years being a rider again was on my bucket list. Perhaps it was that feeling of freedom, but it was also in my blood. My grandfather and great uncles rode bikes as early as 1915. The joy of riding has been passed down through the generations ever since.
I loved hearing about how my grandfather rode his Indian in 1933 from Glendale, CA to St. Louis, MO after an earthquake devastated Long Beach. I missed the opportunity my much younger brother had to ride with my dad offroad in the Ozarks. So now it's my time. In late March I hired Iron Horse Taming to help me get started. An hour after my first session with Dean Engledow I shook hands with Bob Honz of Gateway BMW confirming the purchase of a 2012 F650 GS. Since then I've riden about 3,300 miles and loved every one of them. I'm looking forward to Rawhyde's offroad clinic at Honz's Rouge Creek Camp in September.

Back