• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

New Pair of Gasolina's

ttacke

I got my custom ordered Gasolina boots last week and tried them on a 225 mile loop yesterday. These are very well made, good fitting and comfortable boots. I went with the Gasolina Shortcut boot and asked that they build them using the perforated leather. The temperature on my ride was already 96 degrees at 8:30 am and 106 at noon so the ventilated leather got to be tested.

Overall, I am very happy with the purchase. It is nice to have a handmade custom boot that fits my size 14 foot unlike many of the off the shelf brands that are too small. I also prefer leather over synthetic for heat and allergy reasons (and maybe some traditional biases).

IMG_3219.jpg

Gasolina Waterproof Option

I'm looking for new boots. No rush. I couldn't see any waterproof specs on their website. Maybe versions of their leathers that are treated would be suitable for my riding. Did you ever talk to Gasolina about waterproof options?

I am curious. What is the purpose of the little strap and buckle on the heel of the boot? It looks like something which can snag on things.

I am curious. What is the purpose of the little strap and buckle on the heel of the boot? It looks like something which can snag on things.

I was wondering about the bulky buckles. I don't see a reason for the bottom one and the top buckle looks like it catches the pant cuff.

I got my custom ordered Gasolina boots last week and tried them on a 225 mile loop yesterday. These are very well made, good fitting and comfortable boots. I went with the Gasolina Shortcut boot and asked that they build them using the perforated leather. The temperature on my ride was already 96 degrees at 8:30 am and 106 at noon so the ventilated leather got to be tested.

Overall, I am very happy with the purchase. It is nice to have a handmade custom boot that fits my size 14 foot unlike many of the off the shelf brands that are too small. I also prefer leather over synthetic for heat and allergy reasons (and maybe some traditional biases).

View attachment 87887
Nice looking boot. Where did you order them?

I'm looking for new boots. No rush. I couldn't see any waterproof specs on their website. Maybe versions of their leathers that are treated would be suitable for my riding. Did you ever talk to Gasolina about waterproof options?

No. I am almost never in the rain so no need.

Not sure the purpose other than possibly cosmetic. It does not seem to catch on anything for me though. It does provide a little more heal support and requires unbuckling to get my foot out so it is likely there to help keep the boot on during a crash.

Nice looking boot. Where did you order them?

Direct from Gasolina. I had them custom built because I liked the Shortcut (these boots) but with the perforated leather. Gasolina will customize to you specs. I could have deleted the bottom buckle I guess.

Direct from Gasolina. I had them custom built because I liked the Shortcut (these boots) but with the perforated leather. Gasolina will customize to you specs. I could have deleted the bottom buckle I guess.

I've had a pair of Gasolina boots about 4 years now. Excellent footgear! Made with quality materials and the customer service I received was top notch.
The heel strap is there for a couple of reasons - that's my guess. First, the boots are "retro" style and follow the design common to road race gear from at least the 1960s, perhaps earlier. (I once had a pair of British RR boots in the 1970s with this very same design. Secondly, the strap actually does aid in customizing the fit, in my opinion. I've never had any issue with the buckle catching on things. If I were forced to come up with a gripe, it might be that the boots take some time for on/off. My boots have three straps w/buckles and a long zipper! I love 'em!
As for water proofing, I'd recommend drawing on what's available in outdoor gear stores. Nikwax is a good product, but there are many. I admit I ride in an arid climate most of the time, but with regular maintenance I think there is a place for these even in wetter climates. Consider also that boots marketed as being water proof can actually be so - as long as the sandwiched membrane within is intact. Once that fails, you're in the same situation as a rider wearing boots of simple, tried and true leather. Apply your chosen creams and such and ride on!
Another, maybe less appreciated aspect of Gasolina boots is the fact that they are available in custom sizes. If, like me, you have a pair of feet that don't quite conform to a manufacturer's "norms" Gasolinas are a godsend.

Back